In SC For a Bit

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by zmany2k, Nov 22, 2008.

1. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Wanted to put this in here also as i'm actually a river man at heart vs lakes. (ode to the ohio, the best river in the states) I've seen a few rivers around here, but not really sure about trying to fish them (hence the reason i'm trying to hook up with a local). I'd really like to know about any dams in the area on any of the rivers within a 100 mile radius of columbia (always willing to go extra miles for some good fishing, but 100 is a nice round number). I like fishing dams as it's easy to get at the nice deep holes without a fishfinder to know that you're in one.

so, my question is this:

1) what are some good areas for bank fishing around columbia? (100 miles+/-)
    2) boat ramps? (i can rent a boat if i have to)
    3) what kinds of bait produce in the rivers around here? whole, cut, worms, dip, dough, ect; please also give locations of where i can get said bait if it's not easily available at the water.
    4) anybody going fishing tomorrow and want me to tag along? if not tomorrow, then i can do late nights (after 2200 [10pm]) and the first weekend in december.

thanks a lot folks. this room i'm staying in here is killing me. i'm starting to crawl up the walls and i know there's fish out there to be CPR'd.

so far i've caught:

2 striped pike
    15-25 small largemouths
    15 shellcracker bluegill (all in the 1-2 lb range. not a single one under a pound)
    1 2lb blue cat
    and last but not least......
    25lb alligator snapper on a 1/8oz white rooster tail, 4lb test ugly stik ultra light. ugly stik and reel survived the battle just fine. there was no hospitalization necessary for the lure, rod or reel. i even got my lure back and let the turtle go with all my fingers intact.:big_smile:

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    The Congaree River is right near you,its is a good Blue and Flathead River,it converges with the Wateree River on Downstream to flow into Santee{Lake Marion},there is also the Broad River.There is a Landing on 378 for the Wateree River and also one on 601,not sure about Congaree access except near the USC Stadium there is a Landing,The Broad River and Saluda River join to make the Congaree,you can also fish the Saluda below Lake Murray,not sure about access to that part though.
    You are also less than 100 miles from Santee[Marion and Moultrie}some of the best catfishing around.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Zac the 1st saturday in December the Pee Dee Catmasters is having our last tournamnet of the year and if you are interested and get over here we will find a boat for yo to ride in and do some fishin Pee Dee style. We are about 1 hour east of Columbia at the end of I-20. Just let me know and we will fiqure something out.:wink:

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill's got a boat that'll hold a whole squad. LOL

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  7. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Well boys, I'm blown away by all the hospitality. I went out with Sunbird today and stood witness to his young son catching his first Catfish ever. A gorgeous 11.5lb blue (11lbs 7oz). I didn't catch anything, but i went home happy after seeing his young son winch that bad boy in.:big_smile:

I'm also really happy that this tourney isn't on thanksgivig weekend. I'd a had to turn it down, but otherwise, yeah and heck yeah. I'm there. As long as you're willing to let me in a boat, I'm all about it. I'll make sure I actually grab some of my own gear while i'm back home over thanksgiving.

do you all normally cast or troll during these tourney's? My wels cat rig can't cast, it's a troller. My lighter american catfish setups can cast just fine though.

Great.:angry: I'm going to be thinking about this all night now and not sleep a wink. Already dreaming of some monster flatheads.:003:

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Zac you wont need any gear at all myself or Bill have all the rod-n-reels 1 man could stand. All of the fishing will be anchoring and leading down. I look foward to metting you and fishing together. I will get in touch with you next week to get some deffinite directions and plans.

9. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    you know, this forum only lets you thank a guy once. hmm...

sounds great. saves me a lot of time and effort not needing to bring gear. wasn't sure how you all worked that down here buta helpful person just squared me away on it.

Please excuse my naiveté. never fished with people who were quite this serious about it. it's quite a learning curve for me.:tounge_out::big_smile:

10. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    I'm glad you got to fish with Sunbird. I had the pleasure of fishing with him and Smokin99 several weeks ago on the Santee lakes. I also had the pleasure of fishing with Rivercatsc and Swamp(something) back in the summer on the PeeDee river. Good people here. Southern hospitality as we say it!!!
    Good luck while you down here. If by some miracle I get back out fishing in the next month or so and you are still here, you can always join me too. As I put it "I've never met a stranger before"...
    Jonathan
    bearfrog1@yaho.com

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yessir, I concur!
    Bill in SC

12. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    You all have to make me bring something. Pop (soda for you all), beer, lead shot to stuff the light ones:smile2:, something. Just slide me a pm and let me know.

Thanks again.

I just got told today that we were going to have a test that day. i talked my way out of it. Now my whole class is going to test on friday evening.:big_smile: I told them i might have to be AWOL if they scheduled the test on that saturday.

13. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Bill and James, y'all are treating Sgt. Zac really well. That just goes to show what kind of great folks we have on here. Doug and Bruce showed me the same kindness when we fished together the first time. Hopefully, when I get the Skiff, I can re-pay it.....I might even let Rambo come along so he can bait hooks for us or something. :tounge_out:

14. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    I concur. It really makes me wish I'd posted on here earlier.

I think I might have to keep in touch and schedule a vacation down here this summer. Need to learn some more tricks.:cool2:

15. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Ain't no tricks here, brother. A lot of the info you're getting is coming from these guys spending most every free minute they've had over the years trying to figure out how/when/where to catch these fish. These guys are masters at their game, and I'm proud to say that they're letting me play the game too.....

16. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    I'm most definitely figuring that out. I've already learned a LOT about different ways to present your bait and about 50 different rigs. Though i'm still not certain what a carolina rig is, i think i figured it out myself and have been using it for years without realizing it was patented in carolina. I spend quite awhile myself trying to come up with new rigs and presentations, but i've always bank fished until just the past year in germany, and then my time here in SC. it's definitely a different world that opens up a lot more options for you.

also makes the fish a LOT easier to land.

kinda hate to admit it, but i'm missing germany right now. trout season has been open for about a month, and i really fell in love with those brookies. i could spend ALL day from dawn to dusk wading a creek and chasing them for miles. just had to make sure the warden didn't see me letting them go.

17. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Well, here's another little nugget for you......I grew up in northern Greenville County, around Lake Jocassee....full of trout, smallmouth, largemouth, and walleye. Chew on THAT one for a while....

18. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    I used to think trout fisherman were a bunch of richboy snobs, but i really fell in love with it. The fish are absolutely gorgeous, and they strike HARD. Once you get to know them and thier preferred habitats, they become a friend, and quite frankly, i miss my friend; brown and brook:sad2:. I'll have to take some leave and catch a MAC flight back over there. Either that, or i'll scoot on up to washington canada or the mountains somewhere. need an excuse to put my waders back on.

Also think i need to look into king salmon. Trout are salmonids, may as well give some of the bigger salmonids a go.

19. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Alrighty. still trying to make sure that i don't have to take my test on saturday. should have a definite answer by tomorrow.