In Remembrance of My Best Friend and Fishing Buddy

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RamRod, Jun 17, 2008.

1. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would like to start off by saying that me and Tony had a special bond between us. He was like a Father and a Brother to me rolled up into one. He was always there when I needed an ear to listen or a little help with something. I did the same in return from building him a new computer and teaching him how to work on it to helping him wire his home and hang lights to fishing all hours of the day. I can remember when I was in between jobs due to downsizing back in 2005, we went fishing almost every single night together for 6 months. We would leave the dock around 4-5pm and not come back until the next morning and a few times we were out until 1-2pm the next afternoon. I'll never forget the time we were out on his boat and we had a fish on that turned his driftmaster rod holder around like it was nothing. Knowing we had just tightened them all down with a pair of pliers! We always wished we could get ahold of that one again at Dillon Lake.

We've just been there for each other through thick and thin. He was unselfish and definitely a family man. He always spoke about his wife Eva and anytime he would go away for any amount of time, he would ask me and my wife to call and check on her everyday. Eva never knew that he had asked us to do that at all. She was touched by that when I mentioned it to her in our conversation yesterday. I have opened my house up to her if she needs it. Because I promised Tony I would keep an eye on her for him if anything would ever happen. I personally want to thank each and every one of you that have showed your support and well wishes for the family and friends, it was truly needed. I also remember the last time he was in the hospital and I went to visit him. As I was leaving, I leaned over and gave him a big hug and told him I loved him. And when he told me he loved me too, it made me feel greatful for having him in my life.

They say you can count your friends on one hand. It's true and I can attest to that! A friend will be there for you anytime you need him/her and vice versa. So to say Tony was my friend is an understatement. He was my BEST FRIEND & FISHING BUDDY!

One last thing before I go. My son loved him as well and he overheard me telling my wife about how we're having a gathering in his honor with any proceeds going to his wife Eva. Well, he walked up to me late last night and handed me 5 dollars and said "Dad, I want to give this to Eva." My eyes welled up with tears and I gave him a big hug and just held on tight and he said he understands. He then talked about how Tony spent time teaching him in the basement how to set up a catfish rig for his show and tell at school. Well thanks for listening to me and I know Tony's in a safe place now. He's probably catching the fish for our arrival at the big feast!

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    What a friend he must have been. You are blessed to have such a friend. Thanks for sharing the story.

Tom

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thanks Johnny ... Very Awesome ... He will always be remembered by so many of us that really cared about him.... Garry-

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks Johnny! I'm gonna miss him a lot too. He Truly was a great man!!!

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Johnny I am so Very sorry for your loss.I only knew Tony by way of the BOC as I do You, but Both of you are Top Drawer in this Old Mans Book!!!!! Thank You for sharing. God Bless and Prayers on the way for Tonys Family and You.Your friend, J.D.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ya know Johnny, I was never with Tony when your name wasn't mentioned. He could talk for hours about pouring lead and making sinkers with you. Then he would always offer me some kind I didn't have. Hang in there buddy, Tony will never leave us. He will be seen in every sinker poured and every shad caught with a cast net.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Geez Johnny, you almost choked me up on that one and I don't get emotional often. That thing with your boy......

I wonder just how many of us learned to throw a cast net under his eye?

He offered me a lifetime of sinkers for my molds..... I wonder if he meant mine or his?

Quit it! He would've thought that was humorous!

I will see you all on Saturday!

8. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    My deepest condolences to Tony's family and friends. He seemed like a very nice guy. I did not recall Tony until John (CatfishJohn) posted a picture.

Jaime

9. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ramrod im so sorry about ur best friend i was looking forward to meeting him this weekend plus all you other fellows i will miss his posts on the boc what i have read he was always out to help the fellow brother with all kinds of information and he also had some good jokes GOD BLESS TONY AND TONYS FAMILY AND HIS REAL CLOSE FRIENDS

10. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thank you for sharing. Deep true friends are always great to have.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    my hat is off and I am taking a moment of silence!

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for the great post brother.... rollo

13. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I remeber when I came to your house to make sinkers two years ago I was a little nervous meeting everyone for the first time. Tony was the one who encouraged me to come sit down at the table and started showing me how to pour lead. I was greatful for that.

14. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here's a few pictures of our memorial service for Tony with his wife Eva laying him down to his final resting place in Dillon Lake.

Attached Files:

15. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    thanks for the pics.i am glad he got to rest where he deserves to.its always hard to lose a good friend,keep em in your heart

16. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Thanks for sharing the pics Johnny. I'm glad he ended up with a farewell in a place he so dearly loved with some of us that spent so much time with him on those waters. I don't think he would have wanted it any other way.

17. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    To keep it short and sweet - Tony was one of the best. Not just catfisherman, but person. He took the time to straighten me out on a lot of things, and did his best to put me on the fish.

He's going to be missed by a lot of people in a lot of ways.

18. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    Great post Johnny Tony did mean alot to alot of peopleand will be truely missed