in need of pest control

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Scott Daw, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Im having issues with meadow voles & rabbits. I've lost all my pole beans, 1 eggplant and 5 feet of carrots (planted one packet got 2 carrots left). I have it fenced but the smaller rabbits are getting thru. what they cant get thru the voles are going under not to mention theyre after any flower i plant also.5 of 6 balloon flowers are gone, 3 pots of crocus gone to name a few. I've seen them do it.I've tried glue traps & poison smoke but cant get them all. They've even got their own trails blazed thru the grass in the yard like a series of deer trails. Last year they ate most of my bell peppers open to get to the seed and ate the bottoms off of the tomatoes.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You don't have a cat do you ......:crazy:

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    you need to borrow my dog lol he kills anything that moves rabbit moles whatever doesnt matter he sits by my gardwn and waits all day for them critters to show up , i think hes part cat , lol , yesterdays kill was 3 goundhogs other than that it does sound like ya have a problem there how bout some body grip traps or box traps, i 've had luck using both maybe a good ol 22 will help if ya have time to sit and watch for them, best of luck to ya keepin the critters under control

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    If i wasnt in the burbs I'd be plinking already. I need a pellet gun.

5. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    for the rabbits you can go to a local haircut place and get some of the clippings and spread them around in your garden around your plants this does a good job of running the rabbits out

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dont have Voles here,But we got lots of wild cottontails in the yard,I put a chainlink fence around my garden ,that keeps everything out except what is less than 2" square or flies.:wink:

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    You must have a lot of rabbits. The only thing rabbits bother in my garden
    are tomatoes. I wouldn't mind them eating a few but they like to take one
    bite out of a dozen. If it starts happening every night its time for a .22 CB.
    You are right you need a pellet gun.

8. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I have had a problem similar to this every year. The rabbits are uncontrollable around here, they eat the leaf lettuce especially. Racoons destroyed every ear of corn we had 2 years in a row and we stopped trying to grow that. I have heard of the trick with hair but have never tried it, it seems like I'd need 5 or 6 trash bags full to go around my entire garden.

This year has been different. I was out in the back yard one day and saw a coyote crossing the field along the hill, not very far from the house. No question at all that it was a 'yote, I saw it clearly. I went out there one day picking berries, along the railroad tracks that run behind the house across that field and kicked him up one day in the fence row too. Our rabbit problem does not exist this year. The garden is awesome. I've gotten 15 or 20 gallon bags of leaf lettuce, never see rabbits in the yard any more. The cool summer weather kept the lettuce from bolting as well, so I am still picking it. As long as that 'yote doesn't get my cat, I'm happy to have him around. I hope its a female with a litter. I haven't hunted rabbits around here since our beagle died 10 years ago so I don't care about them, they are just a pest. There haven't been huntable numbers of pheasants here for at least 25 years so the coyotes aren't ruining that either.

Too bad the 'yotes don't go after the chipmunks. They are getting into the tomatoes I think, although I have never caught them doing it. Or it might be the family of red squirrels that have taken up in the woods behind the house. Those don't stay still long enough to shoot 'em. I have 18 tomato plants going so I should be ok anyway for canning 2 or 3 dozen quarts, even with the damage. I planted Early Girls and they still aren't ripe due to the cool summer, but there are a ton of green ones.

Unfortunately this doesn't help your problem, unless you can get a coyote to take up residence. I understand your problem though.