In need of help on Lake Norman

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by thex1224, May 20, 2008.

1. thex1224

thex1224 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Let me start out by saying I am new to cat fishing. I'm an avid bass tournament fisherman, who has been bitten by the thrill of hooking into a big cat. I've only been out a couple of times on norman, with out much success. So far i've only caught 2 fish, both flat heads, one 9 lbs 8 oz, and the other 5 lbs 9 oz.

From reading some of the other post on here, i guess i need to be drifting instead of anchoring, and maybe trying more types of bait, so far the only thing i've tried has been cut bream. It also sounds like most people run 4 to 8 rods. Am i silly for going if i only have two rods to set out. So far i have only fished the north part of Reeds Creek, Near the williamson bridge, in 20 foot of water or more....

What i really want to find out is any info on how to target the 20+ pound class of fish. I release everything i catch, and am really in it for the pictures.

Do catfish school up at all like other game fish? Do the school up by size class or by species? I guess from what i have been reading, the flat heads and the blues are species that grow to trophy class. Can i target both these species at the same time, or do they inhabit different waters at different tiems? Is the back end of reeds creek even a good place to start hunting for a big cat, or do i need to be out near the main channel?

Any advice or pointers would be much apreciated, and i'm always looking for more poeple to get out there fishing with.......

2. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Michael Im very eager to see what type answers this thread brings up! Im now much help to ya on LKN but maybe you'll get lucky and LakeNormanBlues will throw in a lil advice.... Hope it works out for ya!!

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Welcome to the BoC.....

Yep...Mac should see your post soon. I would like to suggest taking a guide trip with him if you could swing it.

But either way the BoC will help as much as possible. I'm not gonna reply to ya just yet because Mac is the one to talk to about Lake Norman. Good luck out there.

-Jim-

4. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Michael welcome to the BOC. You have a broad range of questions here and I'll do my best to help with the ones I know a little about. Drifting vs. Anchoring to me depends greatly on where and when you are fishing. I have had luck doing both this time of year at Lake Norman. When I fish at night I like to anchor on shallow points and during the day I like to drift in 20-30 feet of water. As far as bait cut bream, cut herring or gizzard shad, perch,or just about any fish you can get are good cut baits. For the big boys I like to use live bait in the warm months though. Live bream or goldfish for flatheads and large gizzard shad or herring for the blues. When I drift I generaly use 6 rods and when I anchor I will use 10-15 rods. Blues and flatheads can be targeted in the same areas using the same techniques. As far as the schooling of these fish personally I think the blues are more of a schooling fish than the flatheads. I have to say that most of my catfishing on Lake Norman is done on the north end of the lake but I know guys who fish south and Davidson creek has been very productive in the warmer months. I like the state park and stumpy creek areas on the north end. Hope some of this helps. As someone else said the Lake Norman Legend Mac Byrum can help more when he gets in on this one. One other thing, I have said this before persistance is key no matter what lake you fish!

Shane

5. thex1224

thex1224 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the insight, sounds like i might need to throw a few more rod holders on the little bass boat. I need to look into booking a trip with Mac as well, i believe I've seen him at a seminar at Gander Mountain a while back.
    I think i need to put alot more time in drifting, just so i can cover more water and try to start to understand how these cats think.

One more question, do most of you catch your live/cut bait on the water (shad herring, perch) or do you buy them at a local place?

Thanks again, I'm really enjoying this website, Probubly the best fishing related website I've stumbled upon in terms of local info.....

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Michael, welcome to the BOC. Rather than rehashing a lot of thing I have commented on in the past, I would like to refer you to the first item of this forum and that is 'Catfish Publications', I have a section there called 'Mac Byrum's Catfish University' and it mostly covers lake/reservior fishing, such as LKN. The drifting and anchoring techniques are covered along with where to fish for cats in the spring, summer, fall and winter. Brother Shane has offered you some good advice and if after reading my stuff, you want addtional information, just ask.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    great post & welcome to the BOC, check the library there is a ton info in there!!

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC its great to have you aboard here with us on this wonderful site, good post I wish I could help ya some on that lake but I dont live close to there but im sure there are plenty on here close to you that can help you out its good to have you aboard.

9. thex1224

thex1224 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Mac, I'll have to do some reading up before this weekend. I'm hoping to get out there some time Saturday night. Maybe I'll get lucky and have something to post about come next Sunday.

10. Bigbaldcountryboy

Bigbaldcountryboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC Michael. I fish the north end of LKN as well. Rather then sit on here and type, I'd gladly show you around and show you what tech. works the best. North end also gives up nice bass,my largest is 7lb 5 oz this year.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Michael, be sure to attend the next Carolinas Catfish Club meeting at Gander Mountain on June 11th and you will have the chance to meet and talk with a lot of folks that fish Lake Norman.

12. thex1224

thex1224 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Bob,
    That would be great to go out with you sometime, and learn the technique. The next couiple of weeks though i'm going to be prefishing for a bass tourney i have coming up. Maybe sometmie later this summer if the invite is still available. When you say you fish the north end, do you mean above the 150 bridge, or the north end of reeds creek?

13. Bigbaldcountryboy

Bigbaldcountryboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fish north of the 150 bridge. I also know of some great largemouth spots too...:wink:

Attached Files:

14. thex1224

thex1224 New Member

State:
    North Carolina

Thats a great LM for Norman.......