In Need Of Help Building An At Home Bait Tank

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by H2O Mellon, Mar 6, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am going to be setting up what I am hoping to be a large bait tank. The primary bait in it will be Goldfish, but I may also hold Bluegills, Bullheads & Rockbass in it. I was going to go with some sort of plastic horse trough from Tractor Supply Company. I am drawing a blank as far as a filtration system goes & pump. At first, I was going to use several underwater filters that are designed to be used w/ 55 gallon aquariums & several power heads. If I did this cam anyone tell me how many power heads I would need? When I ran my old 55 gallon setup , I used 2 pretty nice power heads. I am also thinking of just getting a pump that runs about $100 from my local tackle store. I think the pumps they sell are the same pump they use to run their bait tanks for the bait they sell. The trough I am wanting should hold between 90-100 gallons of water. I am not wanting to bury it in the ground, this thing will be sitting in my garage. Can anyone help me w/ some blueprints, ideas, sites, etc...? I am not wanting to spend a fortune on this, especially with everything else that we have going on right now. If possible I want to stay under $200. This is what I was suppose to get w/ my part of our tax return. Any info you can share would be great.

Also..... if anyone has a prebuilt system like this for sale, please let me know.

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

3. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    Hey Mellon, did you check the BOC Library? There are some good set-ups listed in there. I am working on the details and photos of mine and will be posting them soon.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No I didnt even think to do that, thanks for the suggestion.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Brian, why even bother with a filter? I have an old claw foot tub in my garage with an airstone approx 12-18 inches long, and when the water gets too dirty I pull the plug. I bought the chemicals to take out the chlorine, and the chems to remove the bad stuff from the fish too. When I try to keep shad, I also have a combo bilge/ aerator that gives air and current to the setup. It's cheap and i have kept a doven 3-4 goldfish, 2 gill, and a bullhead all winter. In winter don't heat the water or they'll eat you out of house and home. Would've been cheaper for me to catch as I go, but will be nice this summer.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if your garage gets as hot as mine does then i wouldnt suggest putting a tank in there! my tank got extremely hot in my garage when i first got it and i wound up burying it in the ground. kept it really cool in the summer. the tank i have is just one of those big rectangular plastic truck boxes with an under-gravel filter system and 2 large powerheads. i quit using it and let a freind borrow it but when i did have it i sometimes had 200pc of bait in it for weeks at a time. i only changed the water maybe 3 times a year, those undergravel systems are the shiznit! my digital camera was sent in for warranty repairs or i'd post some pics. i think for box and all i spent $160.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Mellon,

Don't get rid of that old good for nothing fridge.

Lay it on its back and presto chango, you now have a 2 in 1 bait tank. Get some silicone and seel any "cracks" or holes and there ya go

8. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    near large bodies of water where populations are low, some places do not allow wells to be dug within so many yards of the lakes. In the cases where it is fairly rural, the towns dont always run water to the homes either.

I have such a situation by my folks's cabin. For water the people use sealed potable water tanks, and as the townships run the lines, the tanks become obsolete. Now brand new the tanks can run from 300 to 700 or 800, but used you can get em for 150 bucks. We're talking 500-1200 gallon tanks.

My buddy has 2 of them in his garage- 1 for bait and 1 for bringing big ones home to brag about for a few days then release. He runs a small garden pond pump to create bubbles and at the inlet he has a hose attached to a sealed rubbermaid container that he glued a hose in and a hose out of. Inside the rubbermaid container is the stuffing from last year's pillows- you know "polyfill". The water runs through it and the polyfill filters it between the inlet and outlet.

Every fall he empties them cause stuff freezes hard here and redoes them int the spring, but he still only changes the "filter" once a year- and by that I mean he takes the old pillows out of the house, buys new ones for the bed, and then empties his old pillows into the rubbermaid containers. (lol- this only works with polyfill pillows, I dont recommend down... hahhaha)

Give that a try.
    Cheapy pond pumps- just the motor, are fairly cheap at wally world. Then you got a few dollars for the rubbermaid container, some glue and some flex pipe. That is it!!!

9. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For the past five or so years, I have had a 7x12 pond full of 4-5" goldfish that I have yet to feed. I do have an aerator in it and there is a waterfall that supplies oxygen. There are also plants in there. Oh, the goldfish also breed...

You can build an ornamental pond that will increase the value of your property, or you can have a bait tank that will not provide a positive return on your investment. For me, the choice was clear.

10. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Last year I ran a 100 gallon stock tank rigged with an Aqua Clear 110 aquarium power filter and two 10" airstones to maintain the water. Basically what I ran was a 100 gallon aquarium and that was how I approached keeping my bait tank. I keep it in a shed in my carport next to my house. I keep it locked up because I was concerned that one of the grandkids might fall in it. They love looking at Grandpa's fish tank. I have it rigged with a pump hooked to a hose so that I can do quick water changes - I do about a 1/3 water change every 3 to 4 days. It takes me about 15 minutes to do a water change and I have the process streamlined so it is really easy. I use city water so I treat any new water with a water conditioner to eliminate the chlorine and chloramine in the tap water.
    I ran it last year from April 15th until October when it started to freeze. I maintained about 50 to 75 bullheads in the 5" to 7" range. It worked really well and it was nice to always have bait on hand when I needed it. Late in the summer when the water temps got in the 80 degree range the bullheads get some kind of grey crud. I don't feed them so I think they may be susceptible to disease because of the lack of food. If you feed them they have a tendency to crap up your tank and that increases the ammonia and nitrate issues. I tried to figure out how to treat the crud at first but after a while I figured it was just easier to replace the sick ones and just catch new ones. Gave me a reason to go bullhead fishing every once in a while. I would go out every 2 weeks or so and catch a bunch to replenish my stock. Once the grey crud started on the bullheads they passed it around pretty quick but I could always sustain my 50 to 75 bullhead load without that much effort.
    I enjoy the bait tank thing as much as the catfishing. It is kind of fun to catch and maintain your own bait. Adds to the challenge of the hunt for the big flathead. Here is a picture of my setup.

Attached Files:

11. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Melon, I have a 70 gal stocktank, use a pond pump to circulate the water and aerate. A five gallon bucket with pillow stuffing makes a great filter that allows good bacteria to grow, I also have a couple inch's of gravel in the bottom of the tank. Gravel is another place for bacteria to grow. I think the pump was about 40 dollars at home depot, pillow stuffing at walmart 4 dollars, and then whatever the tank cost, plus a little incidental plumbing. I keep bait year round, and have had this setup for several years.
    As Matt posted earlier, a garden pond would work better a little more on the front end but less in the long run.

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If your not going to do the garden pond. Your best bet would really have the two tank system. The bigger tank for your fish and the smaller tank to do your filtration. Its not so much the oxygen getting into the water it's keeping the ammonia level down. The website that kspor posted looks like a good setup. Might have to use that myself for my tank.

13. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I use one of these 100 gallon tanks. They are made from some real tough plastic. A friend of mine had one of these that was 300 gallons. That thing was MASSIVE. I bought mine from the local Landmark store. They sell all shapes and sizes of these tanks. Landmark is a feed store, for anyone that is not familiar with this name. Most farm supply stores probably sell them. I think I paid alot less for mine, than this advertised price.

http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/products/detail.jsp?categoryID=507&subcategoryID=555&rcpNum=4242
    D-W

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Mellon, you got a PM brother.

15. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Hey H2O do what I am doing I just went and got one of those pond kits from wally world and set it up so my wife thinks she has a small fish pond and she is so happy she is telling everyone< "What a great husband I am". And I have a well cared for and feed bait pond....LOL

16. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Be careful with that approach Jim, I made the mistake of putting a couple real nice bluegill in the 75 gallon aquarium inside, and now they are OFF LIMITS:sad:

Seems you can't use "pets" for bait:crying:

17. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    I use a 16 cubic ft. chest type freezer and a sump type pump from a local hardware store. I made a filter by cutting the top from a 35 gal. plastic drum and putting 1/4 by 1/4 wire wrapped with a window a/c filter and put it in the drum about 1/2 way. I pump the water out of the tank into the bottom of the drum and let it gravity fead back into the tank from the top of the drum . I used two galv. flange fittings back to back with silicon to seal it and put the outlet about six in. from the top of the drum. the shorter the pipe going back to the tank the faster the gravity flow. also the outlet needs to be at least twice as big as the inlet. rember you are pumping it into the bottom and gravity is returning it to the tank. you may have to put a valve in the inlet line to adjust the flow so it exits as fast as it enters. i also put a valve in the bottom for cleaning purposes. maybe this will be of help to someone.

GARY

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    c'mon bryan, we wanna see pics!:D

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dink,

i'm still unloading boxes & cant find my camera!

20. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here are some early pics. It's been up & running for about 2 weeks. I only have 2 fish in here right now. One goldfish around 7 inches long & one golfish about 4 inches long. This filter is only recomended for 60 gallons, but it's doing GREAT so far. I have an Agua Clear Power Filter for tanks up to 100 gallons on the way. I figure with both of them going, I should be fine. The tank is on my back deck. The tank is 110 gallons, I have it at aprox 85-90 gallons right now.