In need of an opinion

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bnorth, May 16, 2007.

1. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know of a spot where a creek dumps into the river I fish, does everyone usually fish the upstream side of the mouth or downstream? Any suggestions about an approach?

2. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i would suggest fishing upstream for flatheads laying up the stream and also fish below it where u get alot of brush buildup for cats and blues as well. i have found that the edge where the water mixes creek to river has been my best luck in the past.:big_smile:

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Both sides can be good, but here is my opinion. The side of the mouth that extends furthest into the main river, creating a point to break the current of the river would make a nice ambush area for cats to feed on baitfish.

4. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have had My best luck at the upstream side of the mouth of a feeder creek.

5. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I'd throw a line right in the mouth, and let your sinker roll until it finds a hole (you get hung up a lot doing this, though). There'll be some cats there. And also, just like wolfman said. Right at that point where it breaks the current. And feeder creeks work best after a pretty heavy rain when the water's up and rollin'. Good luck with the cattin', bud.

-Red

6. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Wolfman gave some very concise smart advice.

Few things that come to mind:
    • Throw net and/or bait fish both sides of the inlet up/down to determine whats using it and to learn the structure there. Is there a "deep cut bank", shallow bar outside bend (carp), grassy bank for bait to hide in......
    • Read the surface currents to help reveal the structure below.
    knowing that different times of day/night/season/water level may yield different results and should be remembered before drawing a conclusion of the area.

The structure above,below and at the mouth must be learned to make a judgment where predation is most predictable and location where you can fight the fish best from.

Good luck fishing it.

7. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    i like to fish the upside and cast into the mouth or just before. if there is a hole , it will roll down in.

also cast past the mouth toward bank has produced good fish for me.

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I'd fish the current breaks around it (the edges of the fast & slow water meet) this will be easier for the fish to hold since the current isnt as strong & thats where the bait would be swept to if it were dead drifting anyway.

9. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks guys, I'll try those things out, I don't know too much about the spot yet...I just know that it's there and that I have access to it, hopefully I will get some free time to fish it here in the near future.

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I would try and check out the water itself alot of time the water will be deeper on the down river side. I have some feeder here where the up river side of the mouth has very little water a foot or less and the down river will have 5 to 15 feet. I like the middle and down river right up to the bank when the water there to fish in. the two currents coming together at this point seems to push bait up along the down river bank.

11. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tim made some good points with his last post about depth at creek mouths I typically have better success in the deeper water at dusk and early evening then move to where ever the the flat is, especially an adjacent flat to the hole. Also when the waters up move your boat up into the creek itself this can be a killer pattern for a ton of big fish.

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i don't have "creeks" here on the colorado river by yuma, but do have holes where back channels come out. guess about same thing. i like to start at the top of the opening, then gradually, move down farther into until i find where fish are, or decide nothing is there.
    gary