in need of aluminum

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by SGTREDNECK, Jul 21, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    where do i find aluminum? I need 1/4 inch thick. It also needs to be 2 or 3 inches wide. I have drawn up a great rod rack for the boat, and just need to find the materials. Thanks Andrew

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I "bum" mine from a "big truck" trailer/dump bed fab shop.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, fab shop, machine shop, or scrap yard are good places to look. Materials are easy to score.

Bill in SC

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    If you go to a fab shop, ask for flat bar. It is cheaper than plate and you won't have a cut charge.

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I found cheap aluminum. pm if you need the website. for two 8' and 1 4' piece:big_smile: its only 17 bucks shipping

6. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

Here by Kansas City, I went to Metal by the Foot.
    They cut it free, and sale it by the foot :eek:oooh:
    :smile2:

7. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    they have just figured out the cost and added it into the price of the per foot price. so yes it would appear to be cut for free but only hiden in the raised cost of the metal its self.:wink:

8. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    This is not to answer your question about where to get aluminum, but something I thought some of you might be interested in. We use some stuff at work to make fixtures with. It is an extruded aluminum structure. Its called 80/20. There are other brands of the stuff, but that is just the one we use. You can google it. But the neet thing is it has slots all the way down it that you can put slide nuts in. Its strong as crap and could be used to mount stuff on. Like: rod holders, sonar units, gps, transducers, beer can holder, or whatever. It can be connected together to make all kind of stuff. I'm not trying to sell anything, but thought if you could find a place that used the stuff and get scraps it would have lots of uses on a boat. The place where I work won't let anyone have anything, heck they won't even sell their scrap pieces except to the local scrap yard. I'm sure I'd pay more than the scrap price. Check it though it's cool stuff. I've not priced any of it, but if I had a project that it could be useful on I would.

9. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    Mc Master-Carr supply. They have any fabbin' supplies you could ever need. Unfortunantly... expensive.