In MN on a business trip- Hows the Fishing?

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by BKS72, Aug 13, 2007.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I live in Kansas City, MO, but I'm up here this week for work. How's the catfishing on the Mississippi up here? The blues are on a tear down in my neck of the woods on the Missouri River. I'll probaby be up here a few more times over the summer (what's left of it) and was just wondering if I should throw a rig in my suitcase next time I'm up? From what I've seen on the flathead pages you guys have been tearing them up in MN. Pic of my PB flat in MO attached. Thanks!

Branden

Attached Files:

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The Miss has some really good fishing, as well as the MN. No blues this far north. But plenty of channels and Flats. We've gotten some huge rain falls recently and that is shaking things up a bit.
    You probably heard about the bridge collapse up here. It is affecting Pool 1 and I wonder how its affecting Pools 2 and 3. LD #1 seems to be holding back alot of the vehicle contaminates but I'm sure some is getting through.
    Live and cut bait are doing well for both species.
    I would bring your heavier channel gear. Chances are high that you will cross paths with a nice size flat.
    thanks
    Larry

Very nice fish by the way Mate! A tip of the hat for that one.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks, it was complete luck of the draw. I was fishing the current side of a wing dam for blues and that guy hit a big chunk of fresh cut shad. When I say fresh, the head was still gillin' when it hit the water. I thought he was a blue for a minute, but when I couldn't get him off the bottom I knew he was a flat. Must have hit him on the snout with it, I'd barely put the rod in the holder when he took off with it.

4. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

nice fish. my 2cents are its hit or miss like so many things on the river. i know of several groups pounding the river that are doing the best they ever have done (for flatties) and other groups (like myself) that are having record low numbers. so it probably depends allot on which streach of the river you like to fish. i used to fish the saint paul -minneapolis streach alot as it has realy long long fish.(48-54"!!!) but we had some realy bad situations this year that made me re-evaluate how safe these spots are for fishing. they were realy nice spots to walk in to. but now they are inhabited by vagrants. oh well. but incidiently this streach has been doing well this year.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Cool, thanks for the info! I'll post up next time I'm headed up this way and maybe you guys can let me know a public access area or something to fish. Even if I don't catch anything it still beats sitting in a hotel room:wink: Thanks again!

Branden

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'm gonna be up that way around the 26th, give or take a day or two, just passing through. I'd also appreciate a pointer to any public access on the Minnesota River... I'm not asking for anyones special secret spot, just a place I might drown a worm or two some evening.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :0a18:

7. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

ive spent time crawling and exploring spots down in that streach that probably dont even exist on any map. their is one section that is contaminated with PCB'S. its bad. but as to vehical contamination, i dont think it would realy affect the river quality. our rivers are made up of a good portion of surface run off. if you look at most vehicles they will lose some oil, and asbestos break dust, if you add up the milllion or so vehicals that run our roads, then keep in mind that all of this ends up on the highway, which drains in the storm sewer, which drains into the river. the amount of road surface polution is far outwieghing any one vehical that is in the water. it is a shame but it is necessary , as the benifits far outweigh the negatives. I just will not easily eat anything in the watershed below any of the dams. they just arent safe in my opinion or the Polution control Agency(FEDS). If this seems bazar or extreame i would NOT sugest an adventure to one of the larger Storm sewer discharges(which the river is lined with). you will see stuf pouring into the river that would scare a Concreate Block.

8. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Goldshiner.
    My assessment was not to be taken as a long term problem. With close to 40 vehicles dumped into a river your gonna have some temporary pollution. Now that we have had 3 major rains and a 4th is on the way. The run off is diluting the contaminates. They will be gone for the most part by the end of the season.
    But if you would have seen the top of Lock and Dam #1 you would have seen that it was a avery large and nasty mess. :wink:

Gary I will try to shoot you some pointers later today.

9. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    To all the out of state guys:
    Let me know a few days in advance as to when you will be up here for sure. I can possibly work something out where we can meet up and hit the river for a night or 2. I also have an extra pole. I can try to get bait baforehand, so we can just meet up and fish.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My catch is that I'm not sure which day I'll be passing through, and probably won't know until next Friday or so... Originally it was going to be Sat night, but I found out I have family flying in on Sat, so I probably won't get out of KC until Sun or Monday morning.

I appreciate the offers, but I hate to keep anyone hanging like that. My best bet it probably just some quick and easy bank access, maybe a boat ramp where i can get to the river and work my way up or down the bank a bit and throw a line in.

I'm driving up to Alaska, with a stop at the Red River around Winnipeg / Lockport for some channel cat fishing on the way, but thought it would be fun to fish the Minnesota a little on my way through the Minneapolis area.

Larry, one pointer would be awesome - don't want you to spend too much time typing when I'm just going to fish for one evening.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!