In-line or Traditional

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by katfish ken, Nov 30, 2008.

1. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    How many of you guys have switched strictly to in-line muzzle loaders, or do ya still take the old traditional side lock or flint lock rifle out in the field for the feeling of true primitive weapon hunt???

I have an old side lock or two that I still take to the field with from time to time. I guess it's just the feeling of being more on the level with the pioneers that settled this great country that makes me do this. I have an old CVA Plainsman 50 cal. that has a 1 in 66 twist rifling in it , I also have a T/C Renegade 54 cal.with 1 in 48 twist in it. They both shoots very true.
    From time to time my sons and I will get them out and shoot them a bit on the range and we all love it. The 54 cal. is my youngest favorite of the two. while the oldest prefers the 50 cal. They are very proficient with their gun of choice. I am glad they enjoy getting out this way. It gives me great pleasure when we get out like that as a family.
    We have all taken squirrels and deer with the traditional equipment. My sons enjoy being able to say that they know somewhat how Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett felt, while wondering through the wilderness hunting for food for their families.
    Even though the in-lines are a much more proficient piece of equipment,I feel it is important we as hunter not forget the tradition from where we came.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I agree with all of that....:big_smile:

3. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Guess I'm stuck in the 50's. 1850's that is. I have a .32,.36,.45,.50, and a .54 and they are all traditional. Love them old guns!

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have not switched. I shoot a .54 renegade also and have made meat with
    it since 1978. I am not convinced that an in-line is much more proficient to
    a side lock. I think a quality side lock made by TC or lyman can shoot with
    most in-lines out to 100 yds. if there sight system is equal. I do not mean
    to dis other side lock guns I just have personal experience with TC and
    Lyman. I am not anti in-line I think they have a better ignition system,
    have better bullets and powder (power pellets). I think they have a greater
    range than traditionals and they are much easier to clean and maintain. I
    think in-lines have brought a lot of hunters to muzzle loading that would not
    have come otherwise. I am a traditional but I am not so stubborn that I will
    not use modern technology. I have a modern sling on my rifle and when my eyes made it hard to see iron sights I went to a red dot sight. I have a new
    Green Mountain replacement barrel 32" .54 cal. 1 in 70 twist. I am going to
    retire my 30 yr. old barrel and am really thinking about having my new barrel tapped for a fixed 4 power scope. I would not feel like I was muzzle
    loading if I didn't have that line-line capper with a nipple pick on a leather
    string around my neck, two quick loads in my shirt pocket and a ball starter
    on its own leather string around my neck but longer than the capper string.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I am not stubborn to the point I won't use modern technology either. But just love the old traditional feel of being in the woods with the old smoke pole from time to time.
    I have been thinking of getting one of the Green Mountain replacement barrels myself for my .54, but was looking at the long range hunting barrel with a faster twist. If I do get it I will probably have it drilled and tapped for a scope as well. If i do, then I will probably retire my in-lines. Green Mountain probably makes the best replacement berrels on the market for these old guns.

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Ok Fellas,
    I'm gonna start payin' atention to this stuff. I like hot rodding anything, whether it's a motorcycle or a firearm!! Sounds good. Keep it coming,:big_smile:

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    The only muzzleloader I own is an inline. I like the ease of cleaning and the better ignition system. I dont knock anybody who likes the traditionals. Maybe someday I will own one. To me, even the modern inline is still pretty basic, I need to keep the powder dry, and its still a lot "harder", and takes longer to load than just sticking a shell or cartridge into a gun. In all actuality I dont really care if its traditional or not. It gives me a few extra weeks a year to deer hunt. To me its just a choice. Pick what you like, and become proficient with it. They are all fun to shoot :big_smile:

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like the double set triggers on the T/C Hawkins and Renegade. They are simple to adjust, and give you a light crisp trigger pull. On deer size animals 45 or 50 cal... On elk and larger I would go with 50 or 54 cal. They came with the 1in 48 twist rifleing which is a good twist for conical and maxi-balls. Some of them shoots sabot and pistol bullet fairly accurate. And if you want to get top notch accuracy Green Mountain makes a drop in replacement Long range hunting barrel that has 1 in 28 twist which is comparable to the modern in-lines... The say they are very accurate out to 150 yds. or so.

9. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ive got 2 inlines a t/c encore and a new england sidekick that ive never shot yet but i had a charles daly hawkins 54 cal but i couldnt shoot it. the way the stock is made it didnt fit my shoulder im a big guy and it would drive top and bottom points of the stock into my shoulder bruised me up good and didnt feel very good i loved the gun but it wasnt made to fit me

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have an in line its a TC but id like to take one of the traditional ones and use it,ive always wanted to do that,i just dont know anyone who has one to let me try it out.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have seen muzzle loaders with a u shaped butt plate that I could see doing what you just described.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey, Saw it off flat and screw a recoil pad on ... take the fight right out of it!!

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I shot traditional until I bought the wife an inline. Decided I needed one also. Shoot the inline more now as it is easier to clean. With my wife I have to buy 2 of everything.

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    J C
    That is not a bad thing at all. Sounds like you make it a family affair. That makes for a good relationship.

15. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have 5 muzzleloaders. i still play with the side firing ones, but since i got my thompson center encore i just can't leave it alone. with the high cost of going hunting it is nice to have a gun that shoots that good. if it was not so hard to get drawn in the good areas in colorado and new mexico i would still use the older guns. i like both and hardly use center fire guns anymore.

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the reply Ken. Yes I have a lot of things in pairs. LOL She hunts and fishes with me when she's not working. Have to go by myself sometimes while she's makin the money. Even got her guttin her own. Time for skinnin lessons next. LOL

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont hunt anymore, But I used to love it.

I have shot a couple dozen deer in my life, but I cant understand something.

Why is an inline muzzle loader considered a primative weapon?

I dont have anything aginst there use, but they dont seem primative to me?

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Jack
    I think that it's the fact that ya still have to load the powder and bullet from the muzzle taking longer to load the next shot. This is the only reasoning I can think of. As for range of the shot they have as an effective range as a 30/30 Win.and more range than most shotguns withslugs.. IMO.

19. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    What's your definition of primative? To some that would be a recurve bow with wooden arrows. To others, its an iron sighted sidelock muzzleloader with a round ball. I believe some people call inlines primative because they still use black powder and have to be loaded from the muzzle. You also still need an ignition source. It takes longer to load, and doesn't come in one package (like a cartridge). Black powder also produces less "power" than smokeless powder, so that may be part of it. I dont think i've seen or heard of anyone shooting more than about 200-250yds with any muzzleloader, including an inline. There's lots of smokeless cartridge rifles that will shoot in excess of 400+ yds with plenty of accuracy and killing power.

If what i've been told some states have a lot of restrictions on what you can use during "primative weapons seasons?" Here in MD, they just call it muzzleloader season. They dont care as long as you are killing deer. We're so overrun with them its pitiful. You can kill 36 deer a year if you limit out in bow, muzzleloader and shotgun seasons.

20. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.