In Line Fuse vs Circuit Breaker

Discussion in 'Boating' started by jeffrobodeen, Aug 24, 2008.

1. jeffrobodeen

jeffrobodeen New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I'm installing a trolling motor on my 14' semi-v. Minn Kota recommends a 40a
    fuse in-line in the hot lead. I've been to numerous auto parts stores and have been able to find nothing larger than a fuse holder rated for no higher than 30 amp. I located a 40 amp, auto reset circuit breaker and was wondering if I could use this instead. I guess being an auto reset, it resets when the breaker cools. Does anyone have any experience with these types
    of breakers? Is there a downside to using this as opposed to a fuse?
    Thanks.

2. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    The main negative about having an auto reset is if you short the wiring and it arcs to the hull or something then the breaker will open only for a short time until the solder mixture cools and solidifies again thereby closing the circuit and allowing current to flow into the short again. This process will be repeated until the short burns itself clear, if your boat is aluminum then this could include a hole in your hull. I would seriously consider a manual reset breaker or an appropriate fuse block. Buss fuse makes all kinds of high amperage blocks for commercial and industrial needs, the best place to find such a block would be at a marine store or electrical supply. I have just done a quick internet search and there are several options on sites like http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...eView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    either order it from a marine store, or check out the car audio section of walmart (or a car audio store). Amplifiers have huge current draws and finding a fuse holder rated for 40 amps shouldn't be a problem. I would still prefer a marine rated fuse holder if you can find one.

4. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I had the same problem with my trolling motor. I had an in line, but it was not enough and melted under stress. Minn Kota told me that I needed atleast 50 amp inline, or a circuit breaker. They recommened the breaker. Everywhere I went the biggest in line I could find was 30. The fella at the marine store said that a breaker was the way to go. So thats what I just put on. But I havent had a chance to use it yet. But I dont like the idea of a hole melting in my hull like was mentioned earlier.

5. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I have a 40 amp circuit breaker on my Motor Guide, It tripped when I hung the prop in some logs. I had to disconnect it for it to reset. I may have been in to big of a hurry. But they work fine.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have all circuit breakers on my boat ,there all manual reset , If you have a auto reset and there is a short in the wiring and when it resets you could be starting a fire and then you might be trying to walk on some water

7. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I just installed the breaker on my boat. I intentionally made the prop of the trolling motor hit a stick to slow it down, and stop it to see what the breaker did. Nothing happened. But I'm not looking to play with fire. Where can I find a manual 50 amp breaker??

8. jeffrobodeen

jeffrobodeen New Member

State:
    West Virginia