In-Line Channel Catfish Chum Bottle

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by comanchero, Feb 6, 2006.

1. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Here is an idea I played with last season with mixed results. My preferred bait for channel cats is fresh cut bait, usually sucker. I thought of trying to improve the bait's scent trail by adding a small chum type bottle a few inches up from my cut bait. I took a normal plastic prescription pill bottle and drilled it full of holes. I thread my leader through the bottom of the bottle and out the top. I place a small red bead about 4 inches up from my hook and run the leader through the bead twice to serve as a stop on the line to keep the bottle from sliding down to my hook. I fill the bottle with some type of scent bait - last year I used Berkley Catfish Chunks in the Blood flavor. I add a good fresh chunk of cut bait to the hook and with the chum bottle and the cut bait I make a pretty decent scent trail for the channels to find my bait. About the only hook I use for channels is a 3/0 to 5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hook. Last year I caught quite a few channels on this rig but I was also catching channels on my straight cut bait rod so I'm not sure if it helped or not. It sure did not seem to hurt. I've attached a picture of the finished product. Once you get the hang of making them you will find it only takes a few minutes.

Attached Files:

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Very interesting idea.I'll have to give it a try.Sure can't hurt. Thanks for shareing.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Pretty darn creative. It should also help with floating the bait up off the bottom wich is also a great idea.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
  5. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    GREAT IDEA!! :) :)

Thanks, I will definately try that this spring!

6. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    That is a neat idea for sure.Never thought about using the sardines but I bet they would work very well:D Thanks for sharing that!!!!!:0a31:

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    If you guys had come up with this about 30 years ago you would be millionaires now!
    What you have (RE) invented a device called a Swim Feeder.
    They are used extensively in the UK and are available in quite a few different designs, some being weighted, others with open ends. They are cheap to buy but also easy to make. If you want some ideas for different designs do a web search for "Swim Feeder" or "Swimfeeder", there is lots of info.

8. cashukid

cashukid New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Very informative posts.

Definately like the Sardines in oil.

9. bwolcott

bwolcott New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i was searching for something like this for awhile and here it is in black and white. cool i will also try this, i'm a true believe that scents bring the cats to you.
    last year i went to a huge pond and i sat on the far end of it all morning fishing with some ivory soap dipped in anise oil. i had given up at noon and moved to another spot, i also changed my bait thinking the ivory soap thing was a wash up. some other fisherman joined me and went right to the spot i was just at all morning and i laughed and kept fishing at my new spot. before long the other fisherman started reeling them in by the basket full all different sizes and then one of the guys pulled in a 15 lb channel, WOW!!! i walked over having caught 4 cats all day, all small, and asked what they were fishing with and they said night crawlers which what i had on my other rod. the catch was they had never caught anything here before and today out the blue they were catching cats like experts. apon looking in the water i could see a school of carp that had moved in the area and the water was no longer clear it was cloudy which meant to me cats were in the area eatin and digging in the rocks looking for the ivory soap and anise oil I'd had over there all morning. so to me scent attraction is important to me now not neccasarily ivory soap and anise oil but scent attractors period will be in my tackle box.

10. Dustin S

Dustin S New Member

State:
    georgia
    thanks ill have to give that a try