In Light Of Giant Fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Moose0930, May 6, 2018.

1. Moose0930

Moose0930 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Bruce Hauptman
    Being new here, I have been reading some older post so that I don't post something that has already been discussed. I read the post on the record blue caught last year that died. 1 poster said that, as with most anglers, the people didn't know how to care for a fish that size.
    So what steps need to be taken to care for a potential record fish to keep it alive until it can get reported, weighed, and then released back with minimum injury? Anybody got suggestions on what you do to keep your fish safe, alive, and safely release?

2. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    My game plan is to find and keep a kiddie pool that will fit in my truck, an air pump to blow it up, an aerator or two for oxygen, and a bucket to trasfer water into the pool. If i catch a record and im trying to get it certified my number one goal is going to be keeping that fish alive. Im interested in others thoughts on this as well.

ramon06 likes this.

3. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Also having a game plan in line is another thing, like knowing where some scales are that have been certified by the state to weigh the fish and having a biologist number on hand to verify your catch. The quicker the process can happen the faster you can release the beast.

JByrd and ramon06 like this.
  4. Moose0930

Moose0930 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Bruce Hauptman
    We have a 55 gallon drum on the boat. Its cut down some so that we can reach bottom. It has lake water and 2 aerators in it. If we are going to release fish later they go in there. If we keep the fish, they go into an 80 qt cooler with ice in it.

JByrd and Trophy Flathead Hunter like this.
  5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    put first name
    Cattle troughs are great size and volume to keep a big at alive for a bit. Probably a bit more money that a kiddie pool, though. Tractor Supply has a good variety.