In floor livewell

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by crusinman2002, Aug 21, 2007.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey yall... here is my situation, i have a 17 foot fish and ski, and the guy that owned it before me left the windshield walk through panel closed, and the trailer tilted down, so every time it rained the water would pool up in the walkway right before the rise for the front deck, so now there is a hole in the floor that you have to step over to get on or off the deck, and there have been times that i have forgotten that its there in a rush to get to a pole in the back of the boat... lol... well.. to get rid of the hole and the in floor storage that i don't use, i am planning on putting an in floor livewell in and behind that a tackle storage area big enough to get a bunch of them plano sliders that come in the bigger boxes... the only problem that i have is there will be a hump so to say in the center of the floor where the livewell is cause its a couple of inches taller then my depth under the floor, but no biggie... lol... well... its goin to be a couple of weeks till i get it done, but i'll show yall pics once its done

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Sounds like a good idea.. Looking forward to the pic's :big_smile:

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i figure i'll take pics of the whole process, just to give anyone else that wants to do it an idea on how to do it... gotta clean everything out of the boat tomorrow and start getting it ready for the work to be done... now if i can only get my camera to start working for me... lol i may have to go to the backup camera for this one

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I had an 18 foot fish and ski way back when.. Loved the boat, very stable and lots of bait/ fish wells and storage. Had a 55 horse Chrysler on it. That was undoubtably the worlds worst motor. 3rd time it left me stranded in the Chesapeake bay I got Pis%$d and called a buddy on the marine radio to come get me. While I was waiting I got my tools out, unbolted that sucker and the controls and pryed it off the transom and sent it to Davy Jones. Wife threw a fit but it made me feel great.......... No more Chryslers for me... PS:: I no longer have the boat..or the wife !!:confused2::confused2::roll_eyes::smile2:

5. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    ok... here is the plans so far, just what i got on paper.

fix hole in bottom of boat

build custom livewell to fit in floor, building out of plywood and using silicone to secure pondliner to the inside of it.

adding in floor tackle storage behind livewell for big plano sliders

adding 2nd baitwell up front for ease of access to bait when fishing up front.

putting livewell lights in the livewell and baitwells

putting white herculiner down from the outer edge of the gunwales all the way inside for a nice non slip surface.

putting the herculiner on the trailer too to make it match the boat and give a nice non slip surface when walking on it while it is in the water.

all new seats, all white, to match the inside of the boat, and i need new seats anyways... lol

flush mount fishing rod holders all around the boat.

l.e.d. courtisey lights to light up inside the boat when needed

painting engine and engine cover, paint looks like junk right now, dang sun... lol

using vertglass to take the oxidation out of the gelcoat to make it look all pretty again, wax isn't working.

the pictures attached show what i'm working with to start off, i still haven't gotten the boat cleaned out yet, but i'll be doin that prolly 2morrow and hopefully cuttin the center section out wed.

Attached Files:

6. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    here is what has gotten done so far, day 1 of the project.

got the center of the floor cut out
    got the old patch off from the bottom and sanded it
    cleaned out the center section
    got the wood cut for the new livewell.

i decided to build the livewell out of wood, and then line it with plastic, the plastic is getting glued down in the corners and spots here and there so that it doesn't sag anywhere and if it gets ripped, then i can change it out without a problem, got the thickest plastic i could find.

dropping the front baitwell, as there won't be any room for me to run the tubing without pullin the rest of the floor.

in the close up pics, there are a few holes thru the hull that u can see.

Attached Files:

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Hope you're good laying fiberglass, cause I sure wouldn't trust anything that I did to patch holes of that size:smile2: That boat would be at the bottom of the river in no time.

8. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Those holes just go through the subfloor right? Not the bottom of the boat. Have you floated this boat? Holes like that will let water between the floor and the hull and waterlog the floatation and rot the stringers. Does the boat set unusually low in the rear in the water or is it hard to get on plane? Might be waterlogged.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Let me tell ya that you can glass even if you have never done it.
    Let me also tell ya you can build alot of different boats with your boat building skills you didnt know you had.
    Seen too many people that had no skills other then pushing a pencil and that were afraid of a skilsaw build a boat, mount an engine, and have an ear to ear grin. We arent talking about jonboats, we're talking about anything from 14-28 feet in length used in lakes and well offshore.

If you can comprehend what you read, get the right mindset that you build with the materials the designer has designed for and nothing else you can build that 23' Nova Scotia lobster boat starting tomorrow with no experience for about half the price of a factory built one and 1 and a half times less then a custom built one.

Its not rocket science.
    I would say a woman can build a boat that will float and perform as designed
    with the right plans, the right materials, and the right method, its that simple.
    By the way, saw the 21 footer a woman built for her dad to fish in the ocean off Hatteras with.
    Looked like a professional job to me.

10. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    got the glass done, but my backup camera died on me... got the livewell in, but not hooked up, just set it in so that i could get on the water yesterday. went up to jordan lake cause i knew the water would be rough and it would be a good test to see if the patch was goin to hold. not a problem, didn't take on any water from the patch area and the patch looks like its still brand new, even after rough water and i even beached the boat once to go up and use the bathroom. once i get my camera up and running again, i'll have pics.

ok... i patched the outside, 4 layers of fiberglass with plenty of epoxy resin, then after that cured, i did 4 layers on the inside, and then i poured some epoxy into the V so there is extra strength in the area. i was able to step on it and it wouldn't move, so i felt confident in it.

and yes, the holes were in the bottom of the boat, but she sits just fine in the water and comes up on plane real easy, but thanks for the tip

11. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    ok, sorry, its been a while, i finally finished my in floor livewell... i don't have any pics as of yet, camera died and i need to get a new one. got the hole fixed, and the whole center section is the new livewell. ran out of space to run the tubing under the floor and come up, so i had to run the tubing out of the bildge area through the rear deck, and down the inside of the gunwhale, across the floor in front of the rear seats to the livewell. this presented a problem of getting the water back out, cause now it wouldn't flow using just gravity. so i added another pump that pulls water from the livewell and pumps it out the boat under the waterline, and a float switch inside the livewell to control the pump. i just flip a switch and the livewell fills up till it hits the float switch and then the outflow pump kicks in and starts pumping water out, and it pumps out faster than water is comin in, so after a little bit the float switch turns the pump off and it starts all over again, it doesn't flow too much water out, just enough to drop the float switch.

i had to modify the float switch to mount it as needed, i have it mounted on the back wall, but with moving the float, it was rubbing on the ribs for the mount holes, so i had to shave the ribs down. figured i'd just add that in here, i'll get pics once i can, i'll prolly just use my camera in my phone and email the pics to myself.

12. fatfreddy

fatfreddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thinking of doing the same thing this is my 10th post so I am exicted to see the pics.

13. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    PICS!!!!!!!!!!!

14. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey guys, sorry, i won't be able to get the pics of the completed project up, got rid of the boat, moving soon, and had too many things to move, 2 trucks, a boat, a car, and all my stuff... lol... so i got rid of both the trucks and the boat, but kept the mustang... if anyone has any questions on how to go about doin one, just let me know by sendin me a message.