In-Fisherman

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by JMarrs328, Jun 3, 2007.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Did anyone watch it today? I think i've seen that segment before, but it was on wading small rivers for channel catfish. I thought it was very informative, and well done. Does any have any experience doing this?

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    in late summer when the ouchita river is real low i float and wade fish a lot.i use 2 to 3 inch pearch,shrimp,catalpa worms and helgrimites.catch lots of 1 to 4 lb.channels.wading in the summer is not only good fishing but the coolest way to beat the heat.

3. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I love fishing that way. Walk down the small rivers near home with a cane pole and a jar of BJ. I can catch more small cats then you can pack. Its a blast.

4. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Before my knees went bad I love to go up and down river bans and fish in gravel and sand bars as well as keeping cool, unfornately can't do that any more.

5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    While i was watching this, i took some notes. He said he was using i belive it was a 7' 6" ugly stick, w/ 15lb. trilene big-game, but did anyone catch what reel he was using???

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just read in today's newspaper of a gentleman wade fishing for strippers in the South Canadian river. It usually is a chore to get the tops of your tennis shoes wet in these rivers in central Oklahoma. At any rate, the group of guy he was with were in 3' of water - he stepped off into a ten foot hole and never surfaced. You gotta use common sense when your having fun.

7. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    lots of ppl dont use their head here. always watch the water around u

8. Baker

Baker New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    im sorry guys, but i didnt catch this show. how was it done?? i would like to know how they did it. when my mom was alive, she lived on a river that was very shallow (1-2ft deep) and my brother and i swam in that and while i was swiming i found all the holes and bends and stuff, so i would get up really early in the morning. this was before i knew much about catfishing, so i just threw a couple minnows out on one hook, with a slip bober or just weighted to the bottom. well i would usually just weight it and let it drift in the current. i found one hole that was about 5ft deep that was on a bend in the river channel that narrowed the river greatly..now a drop off from 2ft to 5ft is pretty good and then the bend in the river concentrated the fish. i would throw a couple minnows out at the front of the drop off and let it drift around untill it got to the brushy end and then reel in and repeat. that caught a few smaller ones and a really nice fish that i had basicly in my hands when it broke my line. would have made my pb im sure of it.

9. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    What he did was take his boat as far upstream as he could, then he waded upstream. He had a 7' 6" ugly stick w/ a baitcasting reel, spooled w/ 15lb. trielne big-game. He used cut chub as bait, and just fished up the creek, he caught a lot of good eating-sized channel cats.

10. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i seen him fishing that day...didnt he take a girl with him? right now the rivers to high to be doing any of that but i have had some luck catching carp doin that durin the summer

11. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    What would be the safest way to wadefish a river? I would imagine that the current gets going in one section and after time just starts making a deeper hole.

Jaime

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont carry so much stuff that you cant swim.were talking small rivers here if the water gets to deep to wade get out on the bank and walk around.if the land on both sides of the river is posted take a canoe or small john boat to get by the deeper holes.

13. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    a buddy and i went small mouth fishing in a creek that at its widest is about 20 feet and its deepest 4 feet. he caught a nice 2 pound channel on a little ultralite and a jig.

14. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Me and my friends wade the rivers here in ks all the time. Just watch out some farmers dont like people being on there land. We always take a jon boat with use so we dont have to carry everything. You know you have to have that cooler of cold ones.:big_smile_2: Oh yea and we do really good on stink bait and also cut bait.

15. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    i tried fishing a larger creek near my house last night. I was using cut chub as bait, fished on the bottom. My first cast, i caught a 19 inch smallmouth, i thought that that was just a little strange. lol.