In-Fisherman says jugging in winter for flathead catfish...

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by FlatGetter, Feb 23, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have seen the movie Rock River Flatheads they said you cant jig for flats in the winter. But on In-Fishermen they do what do you think?

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I have used jugs in the winter and had very good results. Caught blues and channals, used shrimp for bait, lake fishing.

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am the absolute worst(from experience) flathead fishman, ive fished for them plenty of time and never caught one on pole. But from what Ive gathered from people, on these forums, other forums, and personal experience with friends/relatives, flatheads slow down during the winter where as blues actually increase. There are always exceptions though. Thats probably why you have one source saying not to do it, and another saying to do it.

4. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    In my experience I've found those that say "IT CAN'T BE DONE," are usually the ones that have failed at something. You are on the right track, you asked the question, "CAN IT BE DONE." The members of the BOC are probably as skilled a bunch of fishermen as I've ever had contacted with and I will gaurantee someone will tell you where and how to catch cold water "Flaties." In Truman Lake, Pomme de Terre arm, I usually find one or two laying in the old river channel on the outside of a bend, which would be the deepest part, sometimes in the 35 ft. range. Apparently there is still enough current to carry food to them and they don't have to move much. The bonus is you might pick-up that really big blue. They definately are less active, but they will "bite." "Three inch blue gill, "LARGE" shiners or chubbs work for me." Good Luck in the new season.

5. Cat Tale

Cat Tale New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    For those who say it cannt be done,just watch those who do!