In-fisherman films show at Coffey County

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Chris R, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Chris R

Chris R New Member

State:
    Kansas
    About two weeks ago, In-fishermen filmed a show at Coffey County. The show is schedule to air in January. The best part about it is that my uncle was the local "expert" if you will. He does a lot of fishing and has been featured in Catfish insider mag several times already for his techniques. All told, they caught about 180 cats in 5 hours of fishing. Here is the funny thing about the trip, the In fisherman host or expert only caught something like 20 fish. Even the camera man put down the camera and outfished the host. They told my uncle that it was one of the top 2-3 trips they have ever been a part of and that they couldn't believe how effective his techniques are.

The filmed for a total of 5 hours but will only use 7 minutes of total video. The rest will be commericals. Go figure.

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Congrats to your uncle for the air time. Keep us updated if the actual air comes avaliable.

3. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    thats a lot of fish. I live in coffey county and it sounds like i should meet up with your uncle so i can learn is techniques. i catch a few but nothing like that. where were they fishing. the neosho, redmond, or wolf creek

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats a bunch of cats in 5 hrs.

5. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Congrats to your uncle. Let us know when the show will be aired.

6. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    How much would your uncle charge to guide some of us guys out of K.C. that want to visit?

7. Chris R

Chris R New Member

State:
    Kansas
    They were fishing wolf creek. It was actually a slow day of fishing compared to the average. Last summer there was a day when they landed almost 400. The best day I have been a part of was 212 cats between 3 of us. Ned Kedhe has written about them several times and their success. The success is attributed to several key things. 1) You have got be an expert on using making your depth finder work for you as a fish finder. Or as in real estate, it is location, location, location. Not the lake, but where on the lake. A hump with steep drop off very close, or a bend in the channel on the main lake. The hump must have structure on it such as rocks, foundations or brush. 2. Chumming- it helps. 3. My uncle also makes his own dip baits for personal use. It is good enough that Berkley is trying to buy it from him ( he outfished them with his bait last summer) 4. Think like you were crappie fishing in the fall or winter. This means lighter equipment and vertical fishing. They use 7/8 weight fly rods, with spinning reels and 20 pound test. 1 small split shot and #4 treble. Often the fish will lightly pull the rod tips down and that is it. They have tried live bait, shad, liver, crawdads, etc and results have been significantly poorer than with his dipbait.

8. Chris R

Chris R New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I wish I could tell you that he would guide, but he won't. For him, fishing is about relaxing and enjoying the experience of outthinking the fish (yes that sound like an oxymoron) He doesn't keep any cats at all as he prefers to eat crappie and walleye.

I will tell you that this technique and success has been duplicated by others and himself at Clinton, Perry (but not at the hog trough), Melvern, and Pomona.

I have had success following his advice at Hillsdale and La Cygne last year and this year. My best day at Hillsdale last year I had 53 cats in just over 3 hours. What ironic is that I got stopped by the conversation officer who thought I was walleye fishing. He couldn't believe that I was catching cats left and right as he was checking out the boat. He said he had been watching me from afar and was sure that I was on to walleye and he wanted to make sure I didn't have any shorts.

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Chris is uncle's name,, Ben?

10. Chris R

Chris R New Member

State:
    Kansas
    N2fshn,

His name is Dave. My grandfather's name is Ben.

11. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Is he from Overbrook

12. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i don't imagine you could give out the recipe for that secret dip bait could you?

13. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
  14. Chris R

Chris R New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I dont have the recipe. He is the only one that has it. Not even his sons have it. Like I said, Berkley is trying to buy it off of him and thus he will have to give it up before long and start working on a modified version.