In defense of the need for speed

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by loanwizard, Oct 22, 2007.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I guess I've always liked to go fast. I currently run rivers with a jet. My boat does about 25 mph max. I have to be running at least 19 to run shallow.

It scares me to death to run that fast at night. I have hit twice and now have a little less fear. When you stop and think about it, what is the worst that can happen? If I hit it's because I am too shallow. What are the odds of drowning in 6 inches of water? A little tongue in cheek there. I guess I am getting old cause several of my friends run em with no problem.

Sometimes when passing another boat or a bank fisherman, I don't slow down. The way I figure, if I bring her off plane, I'll push a lot more wake than skimming along the top. Also, in my case, if I slow down, I am suddenly deeper and don't want to be stuck. My 2072 isn't exactly light enough to drag to deeper water, just ask those that try to push her off the bank!

Anyhow, just a few thoughts the next time you feel like cussin the guy flyin by.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Motorcyclers always say its the wind in your face they love.
    The same can be said for driving a bass boat 75MPH.
    Like a motorcycle you have to learn how to handle them. Learn how to turn them and if she gets to chine walking a little in a wind, know how to settle them down.
    I love the speed in an open bass boat sitting right down on the water.
    I love the balancing act of riding on the pad.

I left it behind though. Bass boats arent a versatile fishing platform.
    Fuel has gotten expensive and so have Ranger boats.:crazy:

1987 Ranger 363V Boat #37 in the '87 Classic. Paul Elias.
    She was a hot one.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    While there's certainly such a thing as going too fast, whether you're talking about motorcycles or boats, there's also such a thing as going too slow. I had a heckuva time riding a bike on a gravel road till I learned that going fast enough to keep the front tire up on top of the gravel instead of mushing down through it made my ride a lot safer. Likewise, I remember that one boat I had required that I maintain 22mph just to stay up on plane; much faster, though, and I'd start jumping off the 5'-8' waves I was running. And I don't care if it is a deep-V hull, getting a boat completely out of the water and then letting it hit will jar your teeth. Also, running a boat across shallow flats less than knee deep requires you to stay up on plane; dropping off plane may get you stuck. And a big deep-V stranded on a mud flat is a sorry sight to see. But I also know of an idiot who thought he could run a boat at full speed across one of our stump-filled Fish & Game lakes. He didn't make it a quarter of a mile before he hit one and tore the whole transom of his boat out. Of course, a jet drive would eliminate a lot of those kinds of hazards.
    What is a reasonable speed in one situation can be just as unreasonable a speed in some other situation. Common sense, which isn't always common, is the key to keeping yourself, your passengers, and your rig safe so you can come back again.

4. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I think a lot of it has to do with conditions. It its getting dark, slow down because you have less time to react. Or if you don't know the river area, I would also suggest slowing down. I would never run that fast on the river I fish (the Minnesota) since it is shallow and full of "stuff"

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I understand what you are saying. The people that really annoy me are the ones that run by me within 50 feet in their bowrider when there's absolutley no reason for them to be that close.

On a related topic - and I haven't heard or read the facts of the case yet - I heard that someone was killed and another person hospitalized this past weekend when a bass boat T-boned a jon on the Cooper River here in SC. Like with any other vehicle, there's a time and a place where the speed is safe and acceptable. You wouldn't drive 60 mph through a residential neighborhood with kids playing in the street. Doing 60 in a bass boat when you can't see who or what is around the corner is no smarter.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I run as fast as I feel safe doing. And on our big river I do not slow down for people fishing.
    As when I slow down. The wake is a lot bigger then it is when up and funning.
    Now my boat will when Wide open run about 45 or so. But I run it about 32 because there I get around 9 miles per gallon. and 45 I get If I'm lucky 6 mpg. So for me its 32 and that is only turning 4000 RPM's. And fast enough.
    But if a store is coming up and your 12 miles from the truck. 45 to 50 is nice when I can out run the rain and winds back to the boat ramp.
    But then I fish some waters that idle is fast enough.
    Pete

7. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I dont slow down when passing another boat or bank fisherman either(when there is a good size distance between us). I just figured my wake is smaller when I'm up on a plane.