In Corona, CA on business...

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by BKS72, Jan 3, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm working on a project in Corona (just East of L.A.) on business and will be in town for a couple of weeks a month until about June - unless I get pulled to another project. I'm from Missouri and was wondering if there's any catfishing to be had around here?

I just saw where a guy hit a 90 some pound blue at Otay (my CA geography is kind of dusty, haven't lived out here since I was in the Marines on Pendleton) but I think that's down by San Diego.

I'll have to spend a weekend or two here during the project and was wondering if anyone could point me to a couple of spots to fish?

Thanks,

Branden

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    San Vicente in San Diego is good for big blues also.
    What you want to keep in mind is that most of the lakes are man made and due to the terrain where they make them there is little shoreline access.
    Kind of puts you in the situation where you have to rent a boat.
    You'll also need a non resident fishing license.
    Closer to Corona is Diamond Vally Lake off the I-15 just south of Hemet, for LM bass, striped bass, rainbow trout, blue and channel catfish along with pan-fish. Still you need a boat and license.
    If you want to fish a pay lake, west on the 91 at Tustin Ave and the 55 freeway, just north of the freeway is Santa Ana River Lakes. These are percolation ponds that are mainly to replenish the ground water in O.C. but they are stocked with a lot of fish.
    This time 0f year they are stocking trout from about a pound to 30 lbs.
    There are still plenty of left over catfish from the summer fall stockings.
    and there are sturgeon over 100 lbs there.
    No license is required and boats are available but not needed as the entire shoreline is accessible.
    Stop in at the tackle shop for the best info on hot bait and rigs.
    Also south of Corona on the I-15 at Horse-thief Cyn, is Corona Lake just west of the freeway.
    Again, it's a pay lake with trout and cats stocked according to season.
    I could go on and on about what lakes are around Corona, but those are your best bets.
    The pay lakes are $20-$25 per session around 8 hrs.
    Considering user fees at the other lakes and non res lic. it may be the best buy.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks for the info!

4. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Branden if ya dont feel like fishn the mud holes (santa ana river lakes and corona)there is also Lake Irvine that has large 75lb+ blues and even have rental boats if your wallets fat enough, takes about 20 minutes to get there from Corona. Only problem its trout season out there with a ton of people trolling out on the lake, its also a pay lake and no is license requierd

good luck

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks for the info - what do rental boats run? I wouldn't mind a few hours just enjoying the nice weather (it was 6 degrees in KC when I got on the plane this week to come out) and catching some channels on light tackle. I can chase big blues cheaper at home:smile2:

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    HI Brandon, rental boats run you around 50 dollars a day.
    Hope to get to meet and fish with you before your buisness is done here in Cali.

Jaime

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Brandon, can't tell you anything about the area, but I was born out there at El Toro Naval base, Corona Calif. My Dad was one of UncleSamsMisguidedChildren. I never did figure out how he got his head in that jar. LOL Hope you get to catch a big one. Later Andy

8. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Not a bad try there Andy but your geography is a little confused.
    El Toro is on the the other side of the Santa Ana mountains from Corona.
    You can actually get from corona to El Toro by driving through Cleveland National Forest.
    The Air station has been closed there for a number of years though.

9. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi plumbertom, I couldn't tell you about the area, I never went back. Dad discharged when I was about 1 1/2 yo. I did have to get a hold of Riverside County Courthouse to get a copy of my Birth certificate. Both parents are gone now so I can't ask any questions. Have a good day. Later Andy