In case you're curious?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by SmokinBarrel, Jan 22, 2010.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Here is what 110 Skippies look like in a freezer. It sure is nice knowing you have them there and ready to go when the time comes to hit the water.
    FreezerSkips.jpg

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    you should be set for a few hours of fishing lol

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I can see why the controversy on skips needing limits after seeing that pic. I think catch enough for the outing and thats plenty. There should allways be thought about the next guy that comes along.

4. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I hardly ever use them myself, but my buddy buys them at a bait store in Columbus and pays like $7.00 per lb. . Judging by what he pays with your picture I would say you have a tiddy nest egg there. :laugh1:

5. paul c

paul c New Member

State:
    sparks ga
    "OUCH" thats got to hurt.

6. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Those skipjack where taken over 3 trips, roughly 35 - 40 skipjack per trip! If I lived near or in CC, I would do what the locals do there, jump over to the plant, catch 8 - 12 for a couple fishing trips. Sorry, but you won't get any sympathy from me, or apology. But, I can tell you this, I will use them sparingly.

7. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    ya gotta remember that 100 skippies might only last a person a few months if they fish as much as I do. We go through hundreds of skippies every year. People that live around cumberland city do the same thing he did ( and I do). Would it make you feel different if those were in your freezer?:time-out:

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Nope,I think maybe a limit, like that on crappie and gills ,would be nice tho,Seems like a bit of game hoggin to me.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

If thats the case,I wont argue at all,I just think filling ice chests and freezing them is acting greedy to a point.From the first post you gave the impression you got them in a single trip.

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Geez Reload, we have a 10 hour round trip from home to stock up on skippies. That will most likely last a whole year. We buy TN licenses, rent hotels and spend our money in TN. It costs a lot to go stock up. I make one trip a year and I won't feel guilty either. Doesn't make much sense to drive for 10 hours to pick up enough bait for one outing! I have had trips that averaged $5 a skipjack and I've had trips that averaged $1 a skipjack.

And another thing........ Ain't breaking the law either!!!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    OK Guys,I know its not my arguement,Heck we aint even got skips here in New Mexico. BUT,have any of you thought about the long range reprecussions of a skipjack OVERHARVEST??

12. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Yes Sir I have thought about it.The thing I worry most about is if I quit catching them they will eat all the shad and then we will have no shad for others that use them for bait [they even catch them with cast nets]and the catfish ,stripers,the almighty bass,crappie and everything else that eats shad will go extinct.I would sure hate that.Most all these guys catch what they can use for there personal pleasure and dont waste but few if any.I do see some laying around on the banks wasted but not by catfisherman.Mostly foreigners.I personally dont think they will perish from people catching them with rod and reel for bait.No disrespect intended at you by any means but most people that fish around here for skips and are dedicated enough to do whats necessary to drive and freeze 1/2 to death trying to catch them are basically pretty dang good stewards of our wildlife in general. Sonny Kemp

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I would imagine that if overharvesting becomes an issue the Dept of Conservation will do something about it like stricter limits don't you think????? LOL!

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    im not greedy but i shear would like a freezer full myself lol mix a few gills and carp in withem cat wacking good time right there

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Is there a difference between harvesting a 100 skips at once for a full year supply and harvesting 8-10 every time you go fishing(assuming they were available locally)?

After 2 1/2 years on this site, this is one of the MAIN reasons I am finding less desire to be here. The people who feel the need to condemn others that are LEGALLY harvesting fish.

This is turning into just another CPR thread! Save the gazillions of baitfish, save the mosquitoes, they deserve to live.

I once for a brief time was on the CPR preaching bandwagon but soon realized the stupidity of all the arguing!

Now....... I mind MY BUSINESS and fish MY WAY!

YOU.... Mind YOUR BUSINESS and fish YOUR WAY!

If a person ain't breaking the law don't reckon someone else needs to open their mouth!

16. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    the skips could be over fished ,but if you see how many get thrown on the back at cc you would understand. the skips run in cycles and jugdeing by the amount of shad here we will have some big skips this year . the people who travel arent hurting the population of skips , if they were there every week taken hundreds i would say yes . so i guess i am a bad guy i know last year in 2 days what came from there just by BOC members . rich you would have us locked up lol. i understand what is being said but you have to see the numbers of them . just dont bash a guy for tring to enjoy fishing and not go broke getting bait. like i say more are wasted there than the boc group catches in a years time . sorry if my take makes anyone mad

17. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    And hoping to do it again this year. I travel 6-1/2 hours ONE WAY to catch bait, buy a Tenn license just for that one trip, stay two or three nites in a local motel, eat two or three meals a day, not to mention the tackle I buy while I'm there, and I don't waste a single skippy.

So I feel I more than deserve to catch and keep what in need for bait. Skips have far less to worry about being overfished by us than they do from pollution, migratory spawning routes being blocked, and eaten by hungry Blue Catfish.

Just my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs.

18. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I sure as hell wish I had 110 skipjack in my freezer. I only bank fish here in Alton and have had a very difficult time the last couple years catching or netting bait.

19. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY
    :time-out:I promise there are hundreds if not thousands of freezers in this country filled with more skip jack than that.

Hell, if I'm fishing a 2 day tournament I'm not happy unless I have at least 50 in the cooler....

Don't worry about the skippies - they'll be fine.

20. aquaman9

aquaman9 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    How do you catch them there? Fly fish with shad darts or net them. I have never cought one.