In case you guys like good fishing stories.

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by 01ssrms, Jul 11, 2009.

1. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    So after I caught my first blue below OH Dam last week, a friend I work with had been wanting to go down to the river with me. So we planned on going out last night and I had gone out and bought some extra gear(trying circle hooks) and caught some skippies for bait.

So last night we head down about 6 pm and I show him how to set up a Carolina rig and such. Well, 5 minutes later he pulls in his first ever catfish, about a 1.5lb channel. Took some pictures with his first cat and threw it back. Shortly after he got another nice hit and had a slightly larger channel that flopped off the hook at the bank.

Then the odd and amazing began to happen. First, it was seeming weird at this point that he was doing so well and my line was barely moving at all. Second, I am now convinced that skipjack is the greatest bait of all time..:big_smile: So he puts on a fresh piece of skip and a few minutes later lands a 20" drum, casts back out the same piece of skip and about 10 minutes later catches a 2lb Hybrid bass. The bait was still intact and he made the comment, I'm going for the hat trick on this piece. Well, another 10-15 minutes goes by and he hooks into another one and said this one feels a little bigger. Ended up being a very respectable channel cat in the 10 lb range with the biggest fat belly I've seen. So he caught 3 different fish on the same piece of bait in the same spot. We got a pretty good kick out of that one. He ended up having a great night with a couple other cats and I got shut out, maybe I should have charged him a guide fee,lol. Have a good one guys!

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for sharing Ross..Good to hear ya'll had a good time..

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ross thanks for sharing an interesting story. Enjoyed. Skipjack is a great bait. WTG.

4. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    sucks you got skunked but it still had to be great to see your friend do so well on the fish you put him on!!! he'll be wanting to go again!!

5. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    I think its good he caught alot because now he is into it and maybe he can one day give us tips on how to catch the big ones. It will be a day he will remember for ever great job!!!!:big_smile:

6. msd7806

msd7806 New Member

State:
    Pegram, TN
    Its called beginners luck. It always seems that when you take a person fishing for the first time or show them some new trick they out fish you at your own game. Thats better than getting skunked and not being interested. Good deal for introducing another to the sport.

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Ross. That is an amazing catch there an no doults about it you all had some really good fun fishing.

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats how it works for me too. Everytime I take someone fishing that doesnt fish alot, they catch a bunch of fish or catch a bigger fish than i do. Which is fine with me, I still have a good time. That was neat about reusing the bait 3 times.

9. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    true dat

10. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    Yeah, very true. We ended up going out again last Friday and I showed I can actually reel them in too, including a 10lb blue. We caught about 15 fish between the two of us, he's definitely hooked on it now.

Love the comment on Beginner's Luck, it does always seem that way.

11. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Good story and glad you and your friend had a good time. Just remember one thing Ross the guide fee can only apply if you bait the rods, remove the fish, pamper the guest, and above all you aren't allowed to fish unless you are using a Snoopy rod with a Barbie doll head for a floater. :big_smile:

12. larryqualls

larryqualls New Member

State:
    tn
    whats youre secret ?