IN A SLUMP HELP !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by BIG_D, Aug 10, 2008.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    ok i need some help for the last week or so iv not had much luck catfishing iv tried hot dogs - sonnys blood stink bait - brim cutbait with not much luck !!!! now two weeks ago i was kicking but with theas baits ....iv fished staunton city lake with good luck till latly iv fished lake loue yauger and last night i fished the river under the alton bridge with same bad luck its kinda frustrating lol HELP lol this slump is killing me:confused2::crazy: is it just me or is fishing slow for all of you guys and gals to ????????

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    this poste has ben up all day and not a single coment hhhmmmmmmm:roll_eyes::confused2::sad2:

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Welcome to the dog days of summer where the fishing is crap for awhile. :smile2:

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well its good to know its not just me lol:cool2:

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Dallas dont feel to bad. I have been fishing the MO river for the last three saturday nights and only 3 bites total for me. I am fishing for the big bite but you would think I would pickup a small one every now and then. This past saturday went 10 hours and only on gar bite:angry:. Oh well thats fishing. I dont think it is you. I tried everything from fresh shad live and cut. Cut carp and live bluegill. Maybe next time. Hope your fishing gets better. Just give it a couple of weeks.

Tom

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I know that the Mississippi has been on a steep fall the last week, that isn't helping the feeding frenzy to say the least. I fish the Alton area as well and I have noticed that the fish have acquired a severe case of lock jaw as of late! :confused2:

7. BigCountryRob

BigCountryRob New Member

State:
    champaign i illinios
    have you tried crawdads with no wait

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    no that iv not tried ! thanks for the idea
    im just glad to see its not just me thanks every one

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    that was the first time i had fished the missassippie and i loved it even thoe i cawt no fish iv wanted to fish it ever sins i moved hear needless to say im hooked i have a lot to lern about river fishing but i think im in the right place for that lol:cool2:

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'm not familiar with where you are located, but there is a new catfishing club in the metro St Louis area called Gateway Cats. The club was formed the first of this year and is great! There are alot of members that live in IL as well. You do NOT need a boat to be a member, just the desire to catch and conserve catfish! Check it out!

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=458

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    In my area, there usually is a period of time that it seems the cats all got lock jaw. When we cant get them on cut baits, we usually change up to live baitfish which seems to solve the problem. We all know flatheads love live baitfish, but the big blues love them also.

12. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks bill i will reserch it and think about that:cool2:

13. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    We have fished the missouri for the past month and this past sat. night we pulled in one blue about 15#. It is in a slump right now. I hope it picks up.

14. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Dallas
    This entire year has sucked for me...i can't catch a decent fish even if someone had on scuba gear and put one on my hook, I would loose it. Oh well, maybe Thursday morning..:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::wink:

Linda

15. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Two weeks in a row I have came home wondering if I even know how to fish. I have tried about every bait there is without much luck. Saturday night my boys caught three small channels and one yellowbelly/bullhead. All I got was one small nudge, wouldn't even consider it a bite.:sad2:

16. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well my sissters i feel your pain it gets dishartning going night after night geting eat up with skeeters lol all for nuten if im geting bites and catching 1 every hr or so im fine but when i just sit thear and nuthing it kills me then i start thinking is it just me what do i try next lol but i realize its just dog days of sumer so i guess its time to start makeing up lize lol hopeing it gets better in september:wink::cool2:

17. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    i'll tell you what....i fish the warm water distribution i'd say no more than a mile downriver from the clark bridge (the alton bridge.....i'm born and raised here on these muddy banks)...on the illinois side....basically park in the gravel lot at the lock/dam 26 visitors center....then walk the bike path that runs downriver...oh i'd say 150 yards....you'll see a trash can and a path that leads to the bank of the mississippi......you'll know you're in the right spot because there will be pipes coming from across the street at the coal plant overhead that spill warm water used to cool the generators in there...they dump it in the mississippi.....you'll also know that you're in the right place because there will be a sandy beach....and a concrete wall used to channel that warm water into the big drink....you can either fish that wall...i'd throw straight out a good 50-60 feet and let it drift and drop.....you'll catch em every ten minutes or so......but my lil secret is that backwash pool that sets there to the left as you enter the spot....looks like a good place to let your kids dip.....but do not!!! there's some big boys sitting right there!!! i'm talking 15-20# all day!!! even more viscious at night!!! i fish pretty much exclusively with livers this year and have been tearin em up!!! but get you a good stiff rod and oh i'd say 30#test......fling out about 15 feet into the middle of that lil backwash pool.....and stay close....they don't take long.......but you know...if you're familiar with the alton area...you can't beat gordon moore....i got a couple honey holes out there...the trick is putting your livers...or shrimp (out there)...in panty hose....kinda like your tying off a bag of weed....for those smokers out there...i'd say make about a dime bag size of bait in the panty hose....it helps you get rid of those pesky snappers and gills....you'll snag a couple of em....just either kill em...or set em back a dozen feet away from your spot...they'll stay away...but..yeah..those are my local hot spots......oh!!!! wood river creek....at LEAST the first 5 miles of that thing coming off the mississippi...oh yeah....big boys roam that creek all day!!!

see if any of this helps!!!

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks for sharring your spots with me and bait tips reps to ya my brother and welcome to the boc:big_smile:

19. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    Been fishing the kasky pretty hard lately and the bite has fell off big time. did have a fun weekend though. Went driving through the back water sloughs until there was enough bait in the boat.:wink: Found me a deep hole and landed my biggest cat yet. 41lbs 2 oz! caught off a big asian carp head. it was sad to watch him swim away but it felt good none the less. Havent been catching nothing off drifting with the strong current so still fishing has been the ticket for me. Anywhere you can find a 25ft hole right next to a 2ft deep stump field just ooozes big cats. if your fishing the river i suggest using asian carp if ya can find some. its been the ticket for me.

20. handsomejack

handsomejack New Member

State:
    Ilinois
    Try to remember it's called," fishing", not, "catching".