impressed with Berkley Big Game!!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 25, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i made a 24 in leader with a barrell swivel and a hook on it

( both tied on with a polamar knots )

put a washer in a vice and hooked the hook through it then put a scale through the swivel

walked about a foot then started reaching 17-18 lbs and still no break

slowly pulled back and went 20 'and just a hair past it and it broke'

not bad for line that has pretty low memory, encredibably tough and 7.25 for 650 yards

gets a pretty good note in my book :roll_eyes:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    What strength was you using? I have some BG Electric Blue 30# test and love it. I've also spooled some Mossy Oak 30# test on and its great line too. Less memory than the BG.

3. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    that is one of the dumnest posts ive ever done
    it was 20 lb test

thanks for the reply catfishjohn

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

The post wasn't dumb at all. Some good info on BG. I figured 20# but wasn't sure if maybe it was less. The BG sure is some strong line though!!! Its cut my hand/fingers before. Thats before I got smart enough to wrap the line up on the reel or a limb.:embarassed::smile2:
    Forgot to add that I don't care for BG in the winter/cold. Its too stiff and too much memory. I use the Mossy Oak(now Vicious) in the cold weather.

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i thought it is dumb because i didnt list the lbage

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have some 30# BG in green I use for carp leaders. Havent had one break yet. Thats some great mono.

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I still think it has a bit of more stretch than other mono's. Looking at my 25lb mono that I bought. Besides that it seems like a good line. Still I think I will buy a spool of my regular. Seems no one carries it higher than 20lb rating though so I will have to order it. I want my best flathead outfit to be spooled with my regular line.

8. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I have been fortunate enough to land some fairly large blue cats using this line. It seems to be smaller in diameter than other brands of the same poundage. I use it in the 30 pound range mostly and so far it has been awesome. But I always try to check my line regularly for knicks and scuffs that may create weak points. This line seems to have alot less memory than the other brands and does not kink after being spooled for awhile. This of course is just my opinion. rspd507

9. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have been using this line for years. Great line. I have had thick 4/0 hook bend and/or break in the snags before the line does. Very impressed. Have used the supreme and still like the regular better.

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I like Berkley BG, I use it exclusively.

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I tested my 25lb with two loops attached at each end. Put it around a screw driver and the other end to the scale. It broke at 27 1/2 not to bad seeing that you typically loose about 20 percent or so at the knots. Tried my regular line 20lb rating it broke at 24 1/3 approx not to shabby...

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am glad to hear good reports on Big Game line. I just spooled 2 Penn reels with 30# Big Game green. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, But planning a trip on tuesday evening. Was kinda skeptical about the bright green color.

13. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I've spooled my "salt water" reel with it for about 10 years now. Works great, caught everything from White perch to Striped bass I use either 20 or 30#

14. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I found it to have too much memory for me.

15. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    A bit stretchy than my first choice but still good enough to use especially since you can get 600yds for seven bucks.

16. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    during the summer im pretty sure it will be better for me

i tryed it lastnight and the line is very stiff i was using live shad for striper and the line went limp after 45 minutes of being in the water :confused2:

i caught a 2lber and my dad caught a 3lber but he was using 6lb treline :wink:
    nice fight to bute

17. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i use the biggame almost excluvily(sp) except for carp then i use trilene xt or xl. but i never use anything over 25# i just love useing i guess u could say lite line for bigger fish when conditions alow. but i coudent imagine catching a fish that i could not get in with 25# test.coarse my pb is onley a 30#blue that i cought on 15#biggame. have a goodin everybody:big_smile:

18. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    I use trilene big game exclusively now on the gmr 30lbs clear very very
    good for finding big channels catfish, flathead and huge carp. especially fishing near log jams, boulders and other snags in the river. also very good against the current of the gmr. pb was 2005 flathead 30 brought in around 6 mins not bad :big_smile:

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have used many lines to compare with Berkley Big Game. I always come back to Berkley. However there are some good lines out there. I choose Berkley for now.:smile2:

20. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    BG line is quality/heavy duty line.

J