IMPORTANT UPDATE:- Dillion will receive between 10,000 and 14,000 Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Apr 8, 2009.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    According to the Ohio Outdoor News Dillion will receive between 10,000 and 14,000 yearling Blue Catfish in the fall of 2010 .....

I am hoping that the hour long conversation I had with the head of the District 4 fisheries for DOW last Spring helped this to come around, but even if it didn't ... things are looking good .... Garry-

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    WTG Garry. If more people would communicate their thoughts, a lot more would be accompolished. It sometimes seems everyone is waiting on the other to act.

3. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I thought Dillion was a top cat lake already, why would they put blues in there? Wouldnt that hurt the flathead fishing:confused2:

4. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't think there are any Flatheads in Dillon.Tons of nice channels though

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    No, according to DOW personel, the Blue being an open water type of fish won't interfer with either the flathead or channel cat.

Dillion is a good catfish lake, but most noted for channel cats. What studies I have read states that the blue is also a heavy daytime feeder, where the flathead is more nocternal. Channels will eat anytime like a blue. The article also stated that I will take about 10 years for the blues to reach 20 pounds. So we will have fun trying to convince people not to take them when they get to 5 pounds. They use fish of at least 20 pounds for breeders. Also, by putting bles in Dillion it will help feed the lower muskingum river with blues which is a good thing also ........ Garry-

6. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dillon should be a great lake for Blues.God knows theres enough shad in there:roll_eyes:

7. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    This is great news. Chances are good they'll soon be stocking them in Griggs Reservoir here in Columbus too from what i'm hearing.

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Garrett ... the article I read said that there were no other plans for stocking in Ohio until they saw how this experiment turned out ... of course that doesn't mean anything when it comes to a political issue which it is a sense..... Garry-

9. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    They will have the forage base to take off (Shad) but I am afraid that the lake being relatively shallow and a fast turnover rate (the time it takes water to flow through the lake) that they may not stick around. Hopefully anglers learn to identify them from channel cats and release them.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know they wont do it, but they should put a size restriction on the blue cats, or people will be taking them out by the bucketfull even when only 12 inches long.

11. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    You are right Jack .... the articles says it will take approximately 5 years to reach 5 pounds and 10 years to grow 20 pounds. They will be released as yearlings which should put them at about 10 to 12 inches.

Most ordinary fisherman will probably keep them at 12 inches ... which sucks and most people won't be able to tell a channel from a blue even though it isn't really that difficult to do.

I may contact the people I know at DOW and suggest a size limit on them for the first 5 years .... like 25 inches ....... Garry-

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Garry, An additional line in the rule book, and a couple signs at all the ramps should take care of notifying most anglers to release them till the population can sustain itself.

If they say the signs are too expensive, I say we hold a fund raising tourney this year and send the money to the DNR "Earmarked" for blue cat recognition/release signs.
    With all the die hard catfishermen/women around here that want a chance 10 yrs from now to haul in a big blue.

I'm sure we can get enough folks together to come up with the cash to purchase 5 or 6 signs and posts. Won't be more than 15 dollars each.

Tell your contacts we would like to help anyway we can.

13. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Good idea about the fund raiser ... maybe that will help .. if it is needed ... I agree with the signs and broucher and regs........ Garry-

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Garry, thanks for your time and effort in talking to the proper people and giving your insight to them for this. I'm sure you had some type of influence being you have been in the Wildlife end. Hopefully, this will improve Dillon and the lower Muskingum fisheries in time, and also give us northern folks a chance at them big blues alittle closer to home. I know it will take some time, but this has me excited! Hopefully, proper measures spoken above can either be emplemented, or advised to help the growth of the fish. Lord knows there is enough bait for them to survive and grow! LOL.. Sounds like the next step is to educate those wanting to have a great blue-cat fishery! Thanks again man.....rollo

15. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Jack, were pretty sure you are right bt gona try to get some "official" answers next week regarding any type of limits. I also have a "in" on this deal and knew about this stocking for several months but was told to keep it hush until it was "official" and Ill be working on my angle to see what types of restrictions or what there plans are long term to protect these guys.
    I also know that Dillion is the ONLY lake getting them at this time to see how they do. Remember, several canal lakes were stocked in the early 70's I think and they never took so you can count any of the shallower lakes out.

Salmonid

16. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Garry,

Do you know if the type of Bluecat they are stocking in Dillon are the Arkansas Blues or the type we find in the Ohio River.I was told there is a difference.Either is fine with me,I hope it comes to pass.If they go well here it will be a great thing.

17. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The blues are coming from Pfieffer Fish Hatchery in Frankfort, Ky. They are the same blues that are stocked by WV in the Ohio ( WV gets there blues from the same KY hatchery in a similar deal as Ohio). and the brooders are also from the Ohio River.

Salmonid

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats what Garry told me also.. rollo