important question

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flathunter, Aug 4, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I drive a truck and a women rear ended me the other day, she hit so hard the hood of her car flew off it pushed the radiator back into the engine and destroyed her fron bumper..she went under my truck which is a 2004 ranger and the undersidem of my bumper caused her damage..she was sighted.

My truck has no visable damage, but I am going to trade it in in a few months...My wife says a carfax report will lower the value of my truck now.

I cant even see contacting her insurance cause i cant fisnd nothing wrong with my truck...should I just let it go?

2. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think its up to the laws in your state.Here in Tenn you must report all P/D accedents.
    smokey

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it was reported to the police, but should I even call her insurnace compnay if I cant find anything wrong with my truck

4. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You reported it to the law,thats enoughIMO
    smokey

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Again, check your local laws, however if there is NO damage to the truck, it is running fine ect I don't see a need to report it. A carfx report will lower the value of the truck, if you are going to trade it in soon I might recommend not calling them. If it ain't broke don't fix it brother...

I take it no one was hurt... Thank God for that!

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You may want to report it to her insurance just in case you have any further problems with your back due to the accident.

7. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    only thing i would be concerned about is maybe a bent or twisted fame , you may not be able to see it better get the alignment checked or keep an eye on tire wear in the next few months

8. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Frank's right. You might want to get it AND you checked over just in case. Glad you're okay.

A couple of years ago, a lady in a Honda SUV rear-ended my husband's '89 F-350 crew cab. He's got a big ole receiver hitch on the back..... never seen a car's front end wadded up like a gum wrapper before!! Even the cop that worked the wreck was laughing, and asked the woman, "How can you NOT see something that big?!?!?":smile2::smile2::smile2:
    Again, nobody was hurt. It did delay our fishing for an hour or so!!:angry:

9. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Grrrrr

10. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    At least have a reliable Mechanic check out your truck before you decide. Just cause you cant' find nothing wrond don't mean there ain't any damage. There could be some hidden damage or a cracked housing that you missed. Best for a mechanic to get it up on a rack for a thorough examination before you make up your mind.

Also everyone is right if you were hit that hard it would be best for you to report the accident just in case you start having back problems later. If you don't report it and start having issues with your back then the cost will come out of your pocket and not the insurance.

11. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think you might have your neck checked out, you could have a crack veribra and not even know it for 2 or three mo's are even a year. But that's your choice and her ins. co. should pay the bill's

12. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If she reported it to her company they may contact you without you contacting them...where you go from there may be up to you but one thing for sure: I would sign no releases till you know you and the truck are OK...Just my thoughts and hope they help ya... Does your company have any policies about reporting accidents your involved in to them? You might want to check that too... Better safe than sorry as they say...

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Carfax gets it's information from various sources including law enforcement (not EVERY law enforcement agency), insurance companies, etc...

If it is reported correctly it will show the date it was in an accident and a small explanation such as involve with an accident very minor damage reported.

Depending upon your perceived value of a 5 year old truck you might have it inspected and have a written opinion of lack of damage do by a reputable mechanic. This would be for 2 reasons. 1st, to combat the slimy salesman who says that it will lose value. (If they do say something to that effect let them know you know it isn't true and give them 1 chance to desist. If they use it as a leverage tool, leave because they are of low character.)

Yes, if one of my customers asks about it, it would be nice if I had a written document explaining the lack of damage. I also have my clients look where the damage took place to see if the repair was a quality repair or not. Information in and of itself does not affect value.

I would definitely call my own insurance company as well as theirs. You just had a pretty major back surgery and have no clue whether more damage was done or not. You should at the very least have it checked out again. Their insurance will pay for it. There is also a pain and suffering clause. Even if nothing shows up you cannot be 100% certain that nothing happened as a result of the accident. If you settle it now, there may be a small up front fee that they will pay you to relieve them of any future litigation. It may help with the value of the truck.... although that is not what pain and suffering is designed for.

Good Luck,
    Shawn

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just read LW post. It took me all day to type mine so I'm putting it up. LOL

I would have your truck check out. You could have bent frame, brake line damage etc. it might be better to be safe than sorry but its your call.
    I got to protect my investment and my self.. That is what ins. is for. It cost me a lot for ins and when its financed, I have no choice, ins laws make me have full coverage so if something happens, they are protected as well as me. I learn if you wait and something comes up later, its much harder to deal with.

I dont like dealing with ins CO's and would not unless I have too but after an accident, especially if it isn't your fault, I would get the others ins. CO to check it out if you think it needs to be. . They should pay for it if it is their fault. If a Police report was made, all ins CO's can find out by checks when you renew if reports were filed. Apparently the other drivers car was damage and if they have full coverage, they most likely will turn it over to
    their ins. co. You will probably be contacted to give a statement as to what happen and at fault or not, it will be on record.. I go by my Texas experience. Those carfax's things can depreciate your value. There are ups and down to all of it. I aint an attorney. Sure wish I was. LOL.
    its up to you. and dont take my word or advice on it. . You should find out on your own about your own State ins. laws etc. Look on internet or what ever. maybe ask your ins. co. Or an attorney if you have one. Just for advice.

it took me a while to find this on my PC. I looked up all the laws etc., Texas ins board , on internet and talked to adjuster about it. Its something I went through a while back. Ins CO problems with my Son.. Things ended up working out for both them an us once I mention my concerns and asked about laws but they didn't let me know a few things until I looked it up. . No attorney needed, think God. LOL. It was mostly concerning resale and safety issuers on a damage car . Course no one wins on an accident. IMO.

Couple things I read and learned something new.
    "Ever hear of "diminished value"? look it up. what I read was, Even if your car is repaired or not after an accident, there could be flaws in the repair process. Either way, if your car has lost value from an accident, some state laws , insurance company could be obligated to pay you the difference under "diminished value" By just raising the issue of diminished value to an ins. co. you can get better answers to your questions and most likely they will help guide you through it. I think. LOL..
    . it also said diminished-value claims have been paid out in every state and by every major insurance company. There is a service that helps on this but I forgot name.
    it will need to be appraised I think. That can be done on getting your truck checked out. There or many ups and downs to being honest about it all but honesty when dealing with that stuff is best for me. Checking it out is not being dis honest. its what is expected of you to protect yourself and investment. IMO.
    My state will raise ins dang near over anything. A couple non fault claims in one year and the can raise ins. That is in Texas. I read many different things about Texas laws. I forgot most. LOL.

On a side note . my house ins. . I was covered for years on a certain issuer I had. when I called ins asking about it. They said I wasn't cover for that one issuer for that one year.
    They had forgot to write it in and I didn't read fine print. I assume after all the years of having it , me not making any changes, I was covered. A mistake in paper work from a keyboard jockey is what it amounted to. Anyway, came time to renew the next year. Just me calling in asking if I was covered, they raised my rates calling it a claim even thought
    they didn't have to pay a dime. Man I was not happy cause in 25 years I had never had a house claim.
    So again, look up your laws, read your policy , do what you think is best for you.

I base my thoughts on Texas laws. yours may be different

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I want to know what the lady was driving to do that much damage to her car and none to a wimpy Ford Ranger! lol :eek:oooh::crazy::smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    She probably had a cell phone to her ear. Those sudden stops aint good. LOL