Imperial valley event

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by bluehunter, May 10, 2009.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Guys there will be an Imperial Valley catfish tournament that I am hosting along with Team760 for May 16-17. Details of event is listed at this thread.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110524

If interested please look into it. Sorry for the late notice.

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Some really good press is showing before the event. I am getting ready right now it is suppose to be a lot of people there for this one and shoul dbe cool. Maybe the biggest one I worked with yet. Hopefully we wil get some good reviews with this one and I will use the same avenue to pump up the flatmasters event in June.

B

http://www.ivpressonline.com/articles/2009/05/14/sports/sports03.txt

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    It sounds like it's going to be a good one B, have a good time & good luck with that. :cross::0a23:
    :wink:

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Most Def I am gearing up and getting ready to hit it early in the morn. Just stopped in Compton and picked up some crawlers and some mealies from the hot spot Rainbow (been going there since I was a little kid going to school in Compton) and now I am ready to hit the bait spot. Supposively there are great bluegill and tilapia spots so I will look into many of them tomorrow and will have them in my memory bank. I been wanting to fish this spot for a long time so I am glad I met some people that is all about this area and it helps me in my objective of broadening my horizons when it comes to fishing in So Cal. There are many good places that we dont even know of that is out there, just have to meet the right people. I will post a full report upon my return and of course a you tube vid. :wink:

B

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Here is a general map of the Imperial valley area relative to Salton sea and the Colorado River and All American Canal.

I sense a future gathering in this area soon and many more tournaments in the future.

B

Attached Files:

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Go represent Brian. Look forwrd to the report and vid:wink:

7. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    Dahmmm planned on hitting this derbu when I seen it in local paper as it is in my backyard (litteraly) but as dahmmm fate would have it, got to travel out of town this weekend. Good luck to all whom fish this derby I have always said canal fishing here is good and maybe it can be proven this weekend. Remember those fishing here for first time the map on earlier post only covers a small portion of available fishing spots, there are litteraly hundreds of miles of canals in the Imperial Valley area and some hugh fish caught in smaller canals as well. I would suggest and have had really good luck in the head waters of Central Main at section between All American Canal and Cole road I have pulled out consistantly channels in the 10-25 lb range but a bear to get em past hydrilla. As for catching tilapia either Southern Salton Sea area or try Fig Lagoon which is just south of Seeley off Drew road about 1 mile south of I-8 overpass. Blue Gilll try either Wiest Lake in Brawley area or Sunbeam Lake in Seeley.

If your going to fish the Alamo River area remeber it is classified as poluted (mainly farm runoff) and please please dont fish New River very very very toxic, nasty *ss polution in it aint no telling what you can get from it.

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Ecfool.... funny you should mention the New river.... I was fishing it one day under the freeway (out of the sun) as it comes into Brawley..... a man came up to my wife in the RV and mentioned how it is the dirtyist river in the USA.... she said thanks... my husband knows that ..... he just checking it out....we are not going to eat anything....

bayrunner Ray

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    On the wire reports. We have 32 people signed up so far and more coming. Last night a few 30 plus pounders was landed from the all american canal and released. Dfg showed up and passed out quagga info and gave out tips as well. Still doing signs ins as we speak. Looking good so far. Also have t shirts on deck too. Will keep ya posted to whats happening.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Looking forward to your reports brother

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Guys the event was a success. Lots of big flats were caught. The imperial valley canals is definitely going to be a area of high interest. A near 40 pounder took top place. Will post full report later tonite after i get home. Thanks to all who supported me and my organization in thie event.

12. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    i am really sad that i missed out on this. just so happened i was fishing the west main with my daughters last night. next time i definitely have to get in on this . . . dang it, that is what i get for not following the forum more closely.

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Way to go B:wink: Can't wait to see pics and hear more about the WCCM success:wink:

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "That sounds like a good deal & that it's going to be a lot of fun, I know that if I were down in the area I would be in it because at only a $20.00 buy in - it's one of those touraments that "you don't have to win it - just to have a good time".
    Keep up the good work B.":0a23:
    :wink:

Shania
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I knew that it was going to turn out to be a nice one B,
    :wink: WTG

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    On behave of West Coast Cat Masters and Team760 we would like to thank all the participants that showed up for the event for the Imperial Valley Catfish tournament. There were a lot of familiar faces and new ones. Thanks goes out to Todd for his tremendous effort in getting the tournament exposed to the public all over the Imperial Valley. Also thanks for getting the T shirts taken care of. Thanks also go to Chris for his help and participation in the event. It feels good when you have dependable help in the running of an event. That is basically the key point in making an event successful when you have dependable people that show when say they will show to help out and hater free with one basic objective in mind – having an successful event. I have been fortunate to have great help over the last year with my events, which is a big plus from the years previous.

Thanks goes out to Farmer Boys for their coupon package in helping to sponsor the event – they have great food and is based in the inland empire and desert areas for those who may not know. Also thanks goes out to the Department of Fish and Game for monitoring and giving us the necessary permit in carrying out the event. They were on top of their game this weekend and were very helpful with the quagga mussel pamphlets and in ensuring that participants were within regulations when it came to fishing this event.

Participants fished all over the Imperial Valley and its series of canals. This area is full of canals and areas. It was a pleasure to learn about some of these waters and it will be an area that I will fish in the future. The fees for the event was reasonable which was 10 dollars for the top stringer, 10 dollars for the single biggest flathead, and 10 dollars for the kids division. All in fun to promote the sport itself and not get over redundant with fees. The top areas that produced the best flatheads was the – Alamo Canal, which put out the 1st place fish. The All American Canal – which put out the 2nd and 3rd place fish. And the Vail/Rockwood area that produced the best numbers of nice flatheads including a magnificent 5 fish stringer of double digit to 20 pound flats and smaller ones as well. The Coachella canal was the hot canal for the channels. Plus Sunbeam lake produced well for some that fished it.

35 participants fished in the event all together and their was plenty more spectators that showed up to cheer their friends and family along. All together this made for a successful event and something that will be talked about for a long time as we were the first ones to put on an All Imperial Valley catfish tournament. This will definitely lead to bigger venues and more Imperial Valley tournaments in the future. Stay tuned for future details regarding such.

Now for the catches that was made.

The following is a list of fish that was weighed in for the event and the winners..

Single biggest flathead.

Single biggest Flathead weighed in..

1. Ryan Cooper - Brawley 39.37#s Alamo Canal = $175
    2. Kurt Williams - La Mesa 38.91#s All American Canal = $122
    3. Margan Blake – La Mesa 22.31#s All American Canal= $53
    4. Mike Mcginty – Chula Vista 20.42#s Vail/ Rockwood area
    5. Vern Shultz – Brawley 14.77#s Coachella canal
    6. Kennedy Winkler - El Centro 11.46#s All American Canal
    7. Armando Salazar – Brawley 11.20 #s All American Canal
    8. Tom Lander – El Centro 9.88#s All American Canal
    9. Rodney Darr – Imperial 7.45#s West Main Canal.
    10. Don Walker – El Centro 5.64#s Rasarita Dam
    11. Johnny Perez – Calexico 3.66#s All American

5 fish Channel stringer weighed in.

1. Armando Salazar – Brawley 16.93#s Coachella Canal= $175
    2. Leo Fabian – Lakeside 15.21#s Coachella Canal= $122
    3. Manuel Mendoza – Heber 12.04 #s Sunbeam Lake= $53
    4. Vern Shultz – Brawley 11.95#s Coachella Canal
    5. Chan Mangle – Yucaipa 7.19 #s Coachella Canal
    6. Joe Aguirre La Quinta 4.10#s Coachella Canal

Kids division channels weighed in.

1. Brandon Kalin - Brawley 5.47#s West Main Canal = $35
    2. Madison Dair – Imperial 2.91#s West Main Canal = $25

This was a tremendous event and again I would like to thank all of the participants. Photos will be coming soon. Video coming latter. Stay tuned for:

A. Flatmaster 3, Blythe, Ca June 20th 2009
    B. Imperial Canals 2, Imperial Valley
    C. Canal Expeditions 2, Palo Verde, TBA August
    D. Fall Brawl 4. Irvine Lake, TBA September, King Kat Qualifier - Last tournament of the 09 season.

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Edit in number of particpants - we had a total of 41 particpants.

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
  18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Quite a bit of photos was taken so I used the photobucket to upload the loads I had. Some nice fish was caught indeed. Hope you all enjoy the pics. I will work on a you tube slide tomorrow I had a workful weekend and is about to relax for a bit. LOL.

B

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Awesome pictures Blue. :wink:

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    More pics coming as I get them in from people.

The tournament also sparked the beginning of our T shirts. They look really nice and we have them in black and white.
    B.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]