Impeller repair

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Vulture, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Changing my impeller on my 1977 Mercs 200 20 hp. Need step by step on how to reassemble. The impeller is larger than the housing but the serial numbers match the old one.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The impellor is made to be an extremely tight fit in the housing. You have to get the diaghram of how the impellor looks when its in the housing, then bend or fold the rubber tips until all of the impellor is in the case. It is, like I said a very tight fit and sometimes it helps to have four or five hands to get it all together. But, if the sn are the same, the impellor will fit.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Waxing the inside of the housing with Turle Wax just like you do your auto will let the rubber slip without being hard to handle like it will if you grease it and get it on the rubber.I keep a bottle of the liquid wax for all kind of things.

Sorry that I have no diagrams.peewee

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Put the impeller on the shaft with the key installed and lube the inside of the cup with some liquid soap or grease or wax slightly. Then put the cup in position over the shaft and turn the shaft clockwise while applying pressure on it and it will slide right into place.

This is a picture of a 40 but they should be the same

Attached Files:

5. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Thank you everyone for your assistance. It was really easy after I placed dish soap impeller and the case. I knew you guys would not let me down. Now off to the water.