Impeller for 1989 Mercury 150 Black Max

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Froggieman53, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Froggieman53

Froggieman53 New Member

State:
    Florida
    How difficult is it to replace the impeller on the water pump of a 1989 Mercury 150 Black Max? The shop wants $150 to drop the foot and install it!

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It's no harder than any other engine, just heavier than some. A pretty basic job.

3. Froggieman53

Froggieman53 New Member

State:
    Florida
    So it would be a job that me and my 16 year old mechanically -inclined son could handle? Is there anything else you would check while you have the foot dropped? Thanks for the reply!

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    are you talking about the water pump or are you talking about a jet impeller?

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yes, you two can easily do it. If it doesn't come off easy, then you need to look for the bolts/nuts, you didn't take loose.

Change the lower unit oil, remove the prop and thrust washer in front, check for fishing line there, grease the prop shaft, and that's about it.

6. Froggieman53

Froggieman53 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks Bob........I really appreciate it. Baja, it's the impeller for the water pump.

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    k you had me a little confused when you started talking about removing the "shoe" which is what most people call the lower part of the jet unit that covers the impeller and liner.