impact of AAC lining . . . . ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by dhines, Jun 28, 2009.

1. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    ok i have been writing off the slow fishing in the canals around calexico to weather conditions, etc. but i am beginning to wonder . . . maybe the AAC lining (and the moving or death of many of the fish) having a short term impact on the smaller canals that run off the AAC?

honestly, i just assumed that most of the fish in the central main were born and bred there, therefore the lining of the AAC shouldn't have an impact. but i cant help but notice that my catch rates are significantly less (this year) when compared to the previous year.

i don't like to jump the gun, as maybe this is just a bad streak for me . . . but this is what is killing me. in the past i always heard the cats feeding. sometimes they didn't want to bite, but i could hear them and know they were there. over the past 3 - 4 months i don't recall hearing much fish activity at all.

anyone else notice this? is it normal?

2. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    Actually I havnt noticed it I have been going out every weekend and usually catch fish, and some nice sized ones. I mainly fish for channels using good ole stinky stink bait due to being a lazy (AKA go fishing to relax type). I mainly fish the Central Main which I have noticed it isnt as productive as past years but I atribute that to the IID doing more weed control on it, plus the added housing units right next to it at the head area, maybe more fishing pressure?
    Now the East Highline has been producing some really nice sized channels (6-15lb range) fishing the head waters area from AAC to about Hyw 78 crossing just out of Brawley, now you can see I dont sit in mainly one spot I will fish an area for approrximately 20-30 minutes, no bite I move about 1/4 mile down stream and set up again. Plus I will head out at about 7pm and fish untill sunrise or when the Red Bull runs out LMAO.

Many years ago I used to fish with My uncle whom got me hooked on catfishing and we would fish AAC at drop by Brocks Research area and get some really good sized flatheads there using of all baits crickets, but now the best area next to drop is fenced off so you cant fish in really good FH areas of drop. As it is at most drops due to I assume legal issues with ppl fishing right below drop and possibly falling in or due to illegals utilizing drop crossings to enter USA maybe either way it aint what it used to be fishing canals. But still good fishing.

On another note the canal fishing typically doesnt get really hot untill mid July when its so hot that the bugs and heat (still 100 plus at midnight) make it miserable to be out LOL. I prefer to fish canals due to familly loving me cooking up big ole batch of catfish nuggets. I myself prefer to eat Albacor or Bluefin but still like catfish.

I will shoot you a PM and maybe some Friday or Saturday night soon we can hook up and hit canals in southern area of IV.

3. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    hooking up and fishing the canals sounds like a plan. additionally thanks for the clarification on when exactly it starts heating up. to be honest, the past few years i always started catfishing in mid to late july . . . and just assumed that late june would be the same.

just thought i would add, today i was checking out the side canal to the central main and schools of what must have been hundreds of small channels in the 6 - 10 inch range. i saw a few of what appeared to be 15lb cats mixed in, but before the biggies would bite the small ones would nibble away my bait.

;)

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post regarding the AAC....I came through the area Yesterday, and noticed that there are two areas that are still with the original bank area intack.... but you need a sand rail or quad to get at em.... its by Greys road or something like that or greys well road...

I've had good success at the "east high line" while on the dunes at Glamis... fished from 5miles above the 78 to another 10 miles to the south.... good sight fishing when the light is right...

I did a little "look-see" on the Alamo near "Rutherford".. and had a bite or two in the canal there on my left-over "crawlers".... was getting hot at 9:30 so headed back to the Beach.....:wink:

Bayrunner Ray