Imitation crab for catfish bait - Has anybody ever tried it

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by whiskerbiscuit, Feb 13, 2006.

1. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit New Member

State:
    Blue Island, Ill
    Has anyone ever try using this for catfish?It's packaged like cheese stick's.I think the cost of this stuff is under $4.00 for a nice size package. The strangest bait i've used that caught catfish would have to be a creamated piece of hotdog:know-big:..........Mike

2. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

never tried the crab meat but used cooked shrimp when i was younger it worked okay

3. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    I have tried the imitation crab and never caught any cats on it in the rivers that I fish, however I would still try the crab in your fishing hot spots because diffrent baits have diffrent results in diffrent waters.

Be sure to let us know if you have any luck with it.

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    lol- At home we call it "Crabbic Zirconia" LMAO

its just cod I think, shaved and rolled and dyed. Giver a try! Cant be any worse off than the 16lb channel I got as a kid on a 2 inch hunk of slim jim!

5. bwolcott

bwolcott New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I tried this before were i fish and the blue gill attacked it better than the cats. i always have hotdogs with me when i fish, it never has failed to pull atleast one cat.

6. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i like to eat that stuff myself

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If I'm not mistaken, imitation crab meat is made from pollack. I've never tried using it for bait, but it's pretty bland tasting; I think that bacon or salt pork would be more effective. I've used both of them with success.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I personally would eat tha before I had time to put it on the hook. Man I love that stuff, espically cooked in a pan of butter! Yum.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jerry you might be on to something with the salt pork, sounds like a good bait

10. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've used bacon before but never tried salt pork. Sounds interesting, what kind of packaging does it come in? Strips like bacon?

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You may be able to find it sliced, but I generally see it in a chunk. Last spring, we caught a 18.5# blue on it. I still think that skipjack or fresh shad is my most productive bait by far, but if you don't have either one of those available, it's use a backup bait or don't fish.

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    This stuff is very effective.Melt some butter in a saute pan then add a little garlic powder.Add the crabmeat and saute until done.;) Eat right out of the pan if you are from Ohio OR place on an plate with knife and fork if civilized (Sorry H2O).Eat all of it and then go fishing.I have caught many good sizes catfish this way.:) ;) :cool:

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I tried it last year and it was a flop, would much rather eat it myself.