Im sure u all know the problems Ive been having with catching fish here an update.

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by whiskerchaser, Jul 31, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Ok u know that really big lake i told u all about that i could not catch any catfish well i called the game and fish and they said that last year they stocked 600,000 channel cats in the 9-15 inch range and they also stocked 200,000 largemouth bass, 200,000 walleye. And I cant seem to catch any for some reason does anyone know why?

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Few things:

Heat

Heat causes fish to do things alot differently than they normally would when its not so hot. The size of the lake, the current, the bait population, boat traffic can all really make a difference during the heat. You might try fishing later or earlier, when the fish might be more active.

Location - Where are you fishing. From what ive gathered the fish should be fairly deep during the day, and come up shallow during the night to feed while its a bit cooler. Also find out if you have a thermacline in the lake. If so how deep, and fish above it.

Type of bait - All lakes have cycles they go through that make fish act certains ways. Shad kill, may fly hatch, shad spawn. During these time fish can sometimes be picky about what they chose to eat.

Those are some of the more common things oyu can think about/try.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    with all the posts youve made lol maybe you cant find time to fish take a break from here and try spending that much time fishing lol just kidding but could have something to do with the weather

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, you got me figgered out...:lol:

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Many of us have the same problem and I have come to believe we overthink the problem. Here is what I have decided. The only reason we are not catching fish is because when they feed out bait is not in their mouth. It is just that simple.

6. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico

I have been fishing i go every weekend.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    If I were in your situation, here are some steps I would take if fishing for bass and cats.

1. BAIT - Get yourself some dipbait for cats. With the dipbait get some tubes or sponges on a treble hook. You can get some hogwild chicken blood. What you do with this is get the tubes and put it into the container. Find a stick to mash the nasty stuff into the tube and sponge.
    For Bass I use white deep diving crankbaits. If you can find a deep diving bomber those are great. Wal-mart also usually has some cheap spinners. I also use white for these. I almost forgot that topwater popping lures are great for bass too.

2. TIME - Get up EARLY. I'm talking be at the lake right around 5:00. If you don't feel like getting up early then go late evening, right as the sun is falling.

3. METHOD - If you have two rods then put some stinkbait on one and work the crankbait on another - just cast it out and reel it back at a decent speed. Move around if ur not getting bites but don't be too impatient.

This is what I would do if I didn't know very much about the lake. The bass should definitely be biting around those times - however cats are pretty unpredictable sometimes. If there are catfish in the area then they will hit that stinkbait, but move if it takes them too long. Just be patient...I didn't get where I am through everyone telling me what to do. I went out there and I gained experience as much as I could. I wish you good luck and hope I helped. PM me if you stil have questions.

8. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    James, you talkin' about Elephant Butte?

9. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Nah i wish it was elephant butte its stubblefield in maxwell.

10. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    i dont know why but hope you catch something

11. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    Ask around at the bait shops and find out what rig/bait is catching fish and where they are being caught. Most bait shop employees/owners talk to their customers and gather at least a little info. Most can also help you learn rigs and techniques. The closer to the place you want to fish, the more useful information bait stores "should" have. I also recommend you purchase and read "Channel Catfish Fever" from In-Fisherman if you are a beginner :smile2:

12. geihsler

geihsler New Member

State:
    nebraska
    The first thing that comes to mind, is that the fish are hatchery raised. That means that the catfish grew up eating some sort or corn by-product(chances are). Being out in the wild they have no idea that they are suppose to eat that extra stinky bait. I don't think it's just you. The fish just need to adapt.
    Just my 2 cents

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have a couple of questions for you bro! #1 How big is this lake? #2 Are you fishing from shore or boat? The reason I ask is cause probably 10% of the water holds 90% of the fish! You need to be fishing the right locations. Find the structure, old road beds, submerged timber, stumps, drop offs, points, etc.. You can't just pull up to a lake at any old spot and expect to catch fish!

14. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico

Yeah the lake is prolly 500 acres thats just a guess im sure its a lot bigger. and yeah im fishing from the bank and i cant move around cuz my mom has a bad knee and cant move around a lot like walk far distances.

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    try baiting the spot you fish for the next time ,get some chum in large amounts and anckor it down out in front of where you plan on fishin do this often may possibly lure the cats to that area then fish it the next time you go , you can look in the archives on this site for chum ideas or go to walmart and buy premixed good luck

16. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    What baits are you using? I fish Cochiti and have good luck on shrimp and some Dip baits. Also ordered the wicked sticky and can't wait to try it out. Good luck, in New Mexico the cats seem more streesed in summer also try fishing early or late in the day. Take care and God Bless.