I'm stumped

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by zappaf19, Nov 29, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    2 weeks ago I was catching like crazy. The crappie were all schooled up. This week I am catching 1 or 2. I see on my fish finder they are not in schools anymore. The water is in the 40s. Even the gills I catch are small. Any ideas?
    Bill

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The weather may have them hugging deeper cover. I havn't got to go fishing for a couple weeks now due to work and the wife but that would be what I think. Real tight to cover and a little deeper.

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have been fishing on the bottom. With the cold temps coming in I will try again. It is suppose to snow here so that should cool things off.
    Bill

4. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I do a lot of crappie fishin and most of the time they are about 15ft down but i use lime green line your line could be a problem to beause if it is to thick the crappie dont bite and use a gold hook

5. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    very good advice john.this guy knows his crappie fishin

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill I would use clear 6# line and slow down. You may be fishing faster than you think. They may be seeing your line. Try different methods like jig and minnow combinations.. Hope this helps Good fishing.

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Little weather fronts can play havoc with winter crappie. Give me 3 day of consistent weather, don't care what kind, and the fish usually get the feedbag back on. Sometimes it's just "there today, gone tomorrow", around here they get on the channel breaks and roam.

8. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I sometimes find that a slower presentation-leaving the bait nearly motionless & in the strike zone longer will result in more bites. Sometimes I keep it as still as possible & they will hit it.