I'm running on a generator :)

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cheapNdisgusting, Jan 28, 2009.

1. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I'm not bragging about it - but

If you are without electric for the first or second time - That is the way life is. Where I am, it is a 3 or 4 times a year event. Mine has been out since tues afternoon. We (as a lot of you) are undergoing a really good ice storm and the trees are being trimmed by Mother nature. A lot of you won't be able to read this thread until your power is restored in a few days.

I got tired of it and a few years ago I bought a used generator set that was bieng replaced with a bigger and more reliable one at a fire house. I got it really cheap from the construction company because it was a natural gas powered unit. They would have kept it if it was gasoline or diesel and used it on construction jobs.

Converting it to LP was no problem.

I didn't get all the transfer switch and those controls.

Now. when my power goes off - I flip a switch to start the unit and then transfer my sub-panel to it.

It isn't a lawn ornamate type of generator and sits behind the house in a small shed I built for it. Better Homes and Gardens probably wouldn't approve - but I really don't care. My closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away and he's got a portable one.

My total investment was less than $500 and I did all the work myself.

No, I don't know where to get another one but if you know an electrician, ask him to keep an eye out for one or try E-bay.

This is one of those things you don't think about UNTIL the power goes off.

I've got enough propane to last until April.

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have had the same problem and bought a big gas powered one for emergency situation BRIGGS & STRATTON Elite 10000 - 10000 Watt Portable Generator havent had to use it much after first time lol

3. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    They are handy to have for sure. even here in illinois it's a good idea to have one, because this area is famous for ice storms that knock power lines down, and it's one of those things you never think about until you have spent a day or so waiting on the power company to restore your power.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    They are nice to have when you need them.

We were without power for 4 days last September after Ike blazed through. Before that it was off for a week in 2000 from the "once in a hundred year ice storm". But by luck we were gone to TX.

Sounds like you have plenty propane.

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    good luck old man

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Im without power right now and so is alot of the family, wish I had a generator. We're all cooped up at the parents house.

7. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Jason - Maybe your parents wish you had a generator too. Just kidding.

The point I was trying to get across was to be prepared before something causes you to say "Damn, I wish I had done that". I've never been to Florida but I'll bet a lot of them are prepared for huricanes. People in mexico don't worry about frozen pipes but I will bet that there is a lot of heat trace bought in Minnisota.

Nature is going to do what nature does - but you need to be ready. I live in a river valley and it floods bad enough to block the road a couple times a year, We know it and don't get excited when it does. Just nature doing it's thing.

Here is a picture of my front yard last March looking down the driveway. Looked like this for 5 days

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great Advice, eventually I hope to aquire a big diesel or propane generator to run the house. Every few years we have a hurricane and lose power.

9. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    This is Fri. morning. I've been without public utility electric since Mon. evening. The old generator is doing fine. Took my tractor and chainsaw out the other day to check on my nieghbors, and they were all doing great. Probably gained 5 lbs. because everyone wants you to come in and have a bite to eat, and talk a spell. lots of trees and limbs down but the ice is almost all gone. The north side of the hills are still really pretty. I can hear chainsaws off in the distance from people cleaning up the limbs. All things considered - this is pretty much a nornal day.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the update.

11. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have also been without power since Tuesday. I've been staying at my girlfriends house while it has been off. She lives in Memphis. But I was called this morning at told my electricity was finally back on. I am gonna go buy me a generator. I am gonna have to throw away everything in my fridge and freezer. But why complain about it. What's done is done.

12. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Dont just go throw everything away lol Might be some great stink bait in there:smile2: Fish on

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I hate to say it, but I'm getting pretty good at this.:sad2:

The only reason I even bother with a generator is to power up my reefer and freezer. Other than that, the camping gear comes out.

Gotta love that woodstove.:wink:

14. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Back when everyone was worried about Y2K,, I looked at a lot of generators. I ended up getting a Miller welding machine. They are warranted 3 years and you can weld with them to.

Most generators don't even come close to that warranty. They run about the same price as other units. Mine puts out 8000 watts ,, 16 hp Onan motor,, 40 amp at 220 volts. It has the 110 outlets too. I think I gave about 2 thousand for it.

15. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Thats why i bought a gen.and put a wood stove where the fire place was i love the wood stove and the gen.the power was off for 6 days once i learned quick from that one lol....

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Went about 7 days in September w/o power and lost power Wed morning and it came back on Saturday night. Will be buying a generator within a week.