I'm Retiring My Bow!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by flathead willie, Nov 2, 2008.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm retiring my bow this year. I went out last Monday and had a great day. I finally got to go to my friends farm and do some bow hunting. It was the last week of bow season. I took my muzzle loader with me to sight it in. Behind Gary's house is a long overgrown field about 150 yards wide with a planted pine thicket going up the mountain on the other side. As soon as I got into the field, 4 deer jumped and ran into the pines right where I usually put my target.
    I was still sighted in from last year so after a few shots, I got on the ATV and went up some logging roads on the other side of the property. Half way up, I had another deer walking up the road in front of me, stopping every time I stopped.
    I did some scouting and then went to back down to a hay field. In the corner of the field was a scrape. A piece of fence was down and it was obvious that deer were entering the field there. I set up my stand at the edge of the trees over the broken fence, then went and parked the ATV about 400 yards away, hoping to block another trail with it at the other end of the field. About an hour after getting in the stand 4 does came by, just out of range, and entered the field about 60 yards away. Another doe came through about 1/2 hour later and followed the same trail. When I looked back into the field, there were two 8 pointers about 70 yards behind me shoving each other around, feeding a little, and shoving each other again. I watched them for about 30 minutes before they got behind some trees and I couldn't see them anymore.
    In the next couple hours a few more deer came and went. Finally about 6:30 three more does came running up past me, stopped directly downwind of me and my scent cans. The biggest one turned and walked directly over to the hole in the fence where my scent can was. She stopped 8 yards away from me and stared out into the field. I sent an XX75 on it's way, she spun, fell, got back up and I could see white fletching sticking out of her side as she ran past the other two deer. At that moment I knew my 130th deer with my trusty "medicine bow" was down!
    So, it's been a good 33 years with my $12 bow, but now I think I'll retire it. My wife wants me to stay out of trees and my joints ache while climbing all over the mountains these days. I think I'll just mount my bow on the wall, in a place of honor, and enjoy the memories of the four Pope & Young deer, and 126 others, I've taken with it. If I ever do bow hunt again, I think I'll use the new left handed bow my wife gave me last year, and start hunting from the ground again. It's been a fun ride!

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    congrats old man happy hunting

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great story, Billie! Sounds like you've had a blessed run through the years.
    Bill in SC

4. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, for some unknown reason, The Great Spirit tends to look out for me! :wink::smile2:

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    a life time of hunting the great out doors and still able to do it i hope to have some thing like that to look back at when im older

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds like it's been good to ya . My old bones pop and creak too, but i'm not ready to say the games over yet. I'll continue to hunt as long as i can drag myself into the woods.

7. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I'll still gun hunt, but with a bow I tend to hunt some thick nasty places that are hard to get to. I love it but it's hard work, and now that I've moved, it's a long ride to my hunting ground. I'm trying to find a lease where I can set up a camp and stay awhile; somewhere I can leave stands set up without them being stolen. It wouldn't be that bad if these mountains weren't so steep and high. I can't drag a 200# deer up hill like I used to, never mind a bow, pack, and stand! LOL :wink::smile2:

8. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Glad to hear you were sucessful! Sounds like you have accomplished alot in your years of bowhunting that is a great acheivement in my book. Take care and best of luck to you brother!:wink:

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    sounds like a great acomplishment to me. and i thought 3 deer in 4 years with my 870 was alot. man, hope i can say sumthin thats as half as big as your numbers with that bow.

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sounds like that ole bow deserves retirement. It has served you well in those 33 yrs.Give it a good spot on the trophy wall.Well earned.

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    My hat is off to you Billie for your accomplishments as a bowhunter. Sounds like it's been a great road of hunting for you! I'm sticking to it as long as possible and trying to stay in good physical health to help my hunting. Great job and happy hunting for more years to come!!:wink:

12. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    It sure sounds as if that bow has had one heck of a ride with you. I hope I can accomplish half of what you did in that time, I would consider myself lucky. I hope you find yourself a place close by. Good luck

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Congrats to ya Billie! If that old bow could only talk, man the stories it could tell, I could set and listen to it for hours :wink:. I'd bet one day there may be a tune of the old bow........ :big_smile:

14. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Dont know how old you are Billie but I hope I can do it as long as you have. Far as retiring that bow its always good to have old faithful around. Good luck in the years to come brother.
    P.S. I know what you mean about dragging deer and all the equipment through them mountains. Thats about all I have here at home to hunt anymore.

15. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm 38. I've been hunting deer since I was 16. Not quite as long as you have. But, I can feel the effects of father time on my joints now. It really wears on you year after year. My back has herniated discs, my knees have bone spurs, my ankles ar starting to hurt. But, each year I find ways to make the drag a little easier. First I bought a cart. Then I stopped hunting alone. I'm sitting here with my right foot throbbing in pain from walking so much over the weekend. I can empathize with your situation. I don't know how many more years I'll be able to do it. But I'll keep doing it till I drop dead in the trail from a heart attack, Or I'm disabled. I love the sport that much. I may change my mind after I hit the 30 year mark. But not likely. I'm glad you've had the success you have over the years. That's a lot of fond memories to look back on. And, if your like me you can recall these memories picture perfect like it just happened. I remember everything about the first deer I shot. It was a button buck, I was in a grey lock on stand, in a cottonwood tree on the rivers edge. The deer came in to a scrape below me that I had a scent hanging in. He licked the scent canister and put his head down. When I shot it I almost missed. The arrow found it's mark at the base of the skull. The deer dropped, and stretched out like it had rigor mortis. It was solid as a rock when I climbed down to look at it. It's a wonderful thing to be able to enjoy something so much that memories stick out like that. I'm sure you have hundreds just the same. Congrats ol' boy. that bow deserves a place on the wall.....

16. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I'll be 59 in a few weeks, Dec. 17th. Sounds like me and psycho have a lot in common. I have two deteriorated discs in my back, torn tendons in my left knee and a ruptured meniscus in my right knee, my feet are in constant pain from torn tendons in my heels, (the doctor says my arches are trying to collapse), and bursitis in my shoulders that acts up when I shot my bows a lot. These mountains seem to get higher every year. I do a lot of bow hunting alone because of my hunting style; I hate to bow hunt deer that know they are being hunted. My tree stand, an API Grand Slam, weighs 41 pounds, but feels like 81# lately. I just got married three years ago, and my wife worries about me running around the mountains by myself. By the time I got my deer out of the woods last Monday, it was already 9pm, so I didn't get home until 10pm. She was on the phone getting a posse together to look for me! LOL :roll_eyes:
    When I'm not bow hunting, I love to photograph wildlife. Maybe it's time to just hunt with a camera during bow season. In the end, all anyone ever has is memories. I have some great ones to take with me, along with some good pictures, and almost every rack I've ever taken. I will still need to get in the woods when the leaves start changing. It's a religious thing!

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sorry buddy, but that part just won't do!, I became that in November of 1997, after getting mashed by a Semi on the interstate, so "IF" that day ever rears her ugly Head, just give me a yell and I will be glad to hobble along side of ya cursing ever little dip and hill :wink: :smile2: NO SIR THAT CAN NEVER BE A REASON TO STOP ANYTHING YOU ENJOY..... Some days are sore and slow, and other days are sore and slower, but it can be done :wink:
    Heck there are even day I drive to the woods and just set in the truck and listen to a "certain" fella bend the strings :cool2: Never do get out to "hunt" but it is all good!

18. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    You had a good run Willie, the bow woods are going to miss you, but the gun hunters are going to love you more deer for them, since you haven't already thinned out the herd,lol.

I wish I wood of knotch the handle on my bow or something, I lost count of the deer I,v taken with a bow (or maybe I just ran out of fingers and toes to count them on).

There is something about the changing of the seasons in fall that just makes me want to be out in it, bow hunting or not so hope to see you in the woods every season bow or not.

19. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    You need to come to Virginia and help us. There is no shortage of deer here. We have 2.5 million acres of National Forest. There is no way to over hunt it. We used to have 400,000 hunters here 20 years ago. Now they say it's closer to 300,000. (That's not deer hunters, just hunters in general. There are also a lot of Duck, Goose, Bear, small game hunting, etc.)

20. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    My hats off to ya Willie. If only that bow could talk.