I'm ready to try Mendota

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by plumbertom1, Sep 4, 2009.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I picked up my new Fish & Dive kayak yesterday.
    After bringing it home and doing a little outfitting on it yesterday I took it to lake Pyramid this morning.
    Nice day at the lake. I paddled from the bat launch to an area called Yellow Bar, a distance of about 2-1/2 miles one way. Then I paddled back. The trip back wasn't as mch fun because the wind was against me and if I stopped to rest I would end up going backwards.
    5 miles is a long way when your not used to it but the boat moves nicely through the water even if it's not very fast.
    It is quite stable in the water, I could actually sit with my feet hanging over one side without it trying to turn over. After that long paddle I anchored using the little collapsible anchor I got with it put out a baited line and laid down on the yak and took a brief nap.
    Probably gonna be sore tomorrow from all that unaccustomed work.
    The seat was pretty good and even though I had some problems with numbness in my left leg it cleared up after the nap.
    Didn't catch any fish though. There is an alga bloom going on in that lake and I think most of the fish were in deeper water. IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Great looking yak Tom...I wish i had the time to meet you and the cali crew. Id show you some beautiful place's to put that yak in..But family first i take care of my mom and dad and this year has been not so good for us...But thing's are starting to look better for us so . Fish On

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post Tom.... looks as though you've got a fishing machine there..... nice to use anywhere .... looks more stable than the old one...

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Nice looking machine there Tom" :0a17:
    Yea
    "I could see that you are going to do alot of damage in her".
    :wink:wtg

5. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Better get into the ocean while you can Tom... the "closures are closer than you think"

Bayrunner Ray

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Looking Good Tom. Never seen a Yak up close.

7. fish04

fish04 New Member

State:
    Ca.
    The Yak looks very nice Tom but they would have to build one to fit Omar's size for me! LOL!
    Don

8. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    That's the one then. At 270 lbs. I ain't 'zactly a light weight.
    The F&D has a load rating of 600 lbs.

9. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Looks like a nice handy setup, comfortable and stable, holds enough gear and if its easy to move around, its something ya will use more often. I'm still hopin to get one, but might be next year, work real slow this year. Keep using it, and catch some big ones.

10. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    that yak weighs less than 60 lbs empty. it's light enough i have no trouble loading it. I just put all the accessories on it after it's on the ground. If I have to move it very far I have a set of wheels for it so I don't have to make a bunch of trips back and forth to my truck.

11. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I like it. That thing would work perfect in Mendota. It'll be real easy to get around and anchor. Nice fishin machine.:wink:

12. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Finished installing my FF/GPS today. I may try and get it out on one of the local lakes to see how it works. If not I give a test at Mendota.
    Now I just need to find a good pace to pick up some scrap Aluminum to make a motor mount for my trolling motor and I'll be all set.
    The scrap yard near me has closed down so now I have to find someplace new.

13. gilmafam

State:
    California
    motor mount..:eek:oooh:.... I guess that you did have a good workout with the Pyramid outing.....

Either place Tom.... James road or Mendota...got the maps for ya....:wink:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I would fish Mendota past the train tracks (Jacks Resort):wink: