Im out for a while...

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by jim700, Aug 4, 2009.

  1. jim700

    jim700 New Member

    Messages:
    88
    State:
    Missouri
    I threw out some jug lines in my pond a sunday morning when down to check them monday morning and aparently rubbed up against some poison oak. Long story short i woke up this morning both eyes swollen darn near shut along with the rest of my body including my privates :x. I feel like i have taken a bath in poison oak. Oh whenever i pulled my jugs up monday morning i had one 10lb channel, i dont really think that poison oak was a good exchange lol. Im out of fishing for about a week now, no money to go to the doctor so any home remedy idea would be useful.
     
  2. LMHart

    LMHart New Member

    Messages:
    425
    State:
    Oklahoma City
    hydrocortozone cream
    oatmeal bath
    might call around to see if you can find an affordable cortizon shot
     

  3. jim700

    jim700 New Member

    Messages:
    88
    State:
    Missouri
    ill try the oatmeal bath here in a bit, ive heard it works good so mayswell try it. thanks for the info
     
  4. Double L

    Double L New Member

    Messages:
    87
    State:
    Mo
    I feel for You, my 7 year old is the same way, face all swolen eyes almost shut, even took him to the doctor and got a shot on Monday , had to call today and get some medicine, hope it works. they get it about every year the best thing we have found besides going to the doctor is Poison Ivy drops, You can get them from a health store for about 6 bucks.
    hope this helps
     
  5. Mickey

    Mickey New Member Supporting Member

    Messages:
    14,592
    State:
    Illinois
    Jim go to the Dr. and get you a shot to clear this up. I know you are in misery. Been there done that.
     
  6. Rollinunknown

    Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

    Messages:
    2,286
    State:
    Missouri
    Thats 100% right .. every time i get it my eyes swell close ect...

    1 shot clears it up. Also they will let you make payments 25 bucks amonth ect..
     
  7. MRR

    MRR New Member

    Messages:
    4,947
    State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Go to the Doctor.It's nothing to fool around with.
     
  8. FlatheadDreaming

    FlatheadDreaming New Member

    Messages:
    550
    State:
    Grain Valley
    If only you could have got him to cure you from being a mesquito attractant, from what I hear they are on you like white on rice.
     
  9. jim700

    jim700 New Member

    Messages:
    88
    State:
    Missouri
    I would go to the doctor but i have 0 income so i have been tying some remedies that some family members told me to try. I poured bleach all over my arms and on my face, then put some anti itch medice on it then some caladryl, then after that dried i doused myself in rubbing alchohaul. So far my face seems to be clearing up after the bleach earlier today ( i do not suggest putting bleach on your face it burns like a mother) however im still trying to get the ivy to stop itching on my groin area ( i wouldnt dare put bleach or alchohaul on that).
     
  10. FlatheadDreaming

    FlatheadDreaming New Member

    Messages:
    550
    State:
    Grain Valley
    My grandma always put clear fingernail polish on all of our chigger bites and they would stop itching right away. If you scratched them open it burns like hell though. Dont know if it would help posin ivy though, you would probably have to use the whole bottle. When she would put nail polish on our bites my grandfather would always say toughen up and put some thinner on it. Lmao, dont know if that works.
     
  11. Billy_Mojo

    Billy_Mojo New Member

    Messages:
    68
    State:
    Missouri
    Scratching is bad. Obviously. Anything that opens the blisters lets more oil get out, and that causes the spreading. Any oil that isn't washed off will cause more blisters.

    But here's what I've done, aside from the shot.

    Shower OFTEN. Like every hour or so if you can. As HOT as you can stand it. The hot water scalding gives your central nervous system the same sensation as if you were scratching the itch. It also keeps the oil washed off, believe it or not it's greatly if not completely water soluble. BUT... as soon as you are out of the shower completely paint your exposed areas with plain ol' cheap ass Calamine lotion. That soaks up any more oil that gets out. Keep it all as dry as possible.

    Dollar General is the cheapest place I know to get calamine lotion, and just like me, you know it's all the same no matter what brand. Keep it shook up real good when you're using it.

    That along with willpower is the only thing that will make the itch subside. It's a bitch I know it I've been through it so many times.

    I'm just going through all this because I'm trying to help ya get through it without the shot; which is what I'd recommend first and foremost. Just providing info on what to do besides what you've already done, which I've done all before with little to no good results.

    The bleach hurt me more than it helped. The isopropyl alcohol had no effect whatsoever besides being painful and sterilizing the open wounds. Turpentine was a stupid idea that didn't do anything productive, but I've had it poured on me before when I was a kid. Kerosene too. Red Devil lighter fluid too. None of that crap did any good.

    The shot, keep it clean, keep it dry.

    Now I want to know Earl's cure so I sent him a PM. Good luck and Get Well Soon!
     
  12. catfisherman369

    catfisherman369 Floyd

    Messages:
    4,944
    State:
    Nashville Il.
    DOUBLE UP ON THE Benadryl