I'm no rat or katfishchris, but we caught a few....

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by TN Greg, Aug 27, 2008.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Fished some new water last night and was pleasantly surprised. Had trouble wrangling up some goldeye, but we caught enough to give it a go. We ended up with 6 fish between 19 and 13lbs. Lost a few at the boat and had several slams that just didn't hook. Considering that we were fishing relatively blind w/ bait that had to be re-used, I was encouraged.

Do you guys just use the big goldeye, or do the 4 inchers suffice? I caught a ton of the little ones, but just can't see an 80lb kitty giving a rip; subsequently, they remained on the bench.

Attached is a pic of Pearl's PB flathead. He was giddy.

Attached Files:

2. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    There ya go Greg! Sounds like you guys had a good time. Actually bigger fish will hit that smaller bait at times. I have caught both of my bigger fish on 2" by 1 1/2" pieces of bait. Neither were even close to 80 lbs though.

3. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    Greg, congrats on a good night. Where did you guys launch from?

4. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Congrats on a good night. My dad and I are going to spend the night on the river tomorrow night. I took Friday off work (a short explantation of this for Ryan and Jer can be found by typing, "work" on google... LMAO JK) because my dad is on vacation this week. He's only been fishing with me once this year. :angry: Hopefully we can get on some fish, and steer clear of the small chance of T-storms. Any suggestions on bait or locating fish? :big_smile: Anyone been catching anything on Carp lately?

5. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I always like to have a few carp especially when it gets dark outside. Try and get some of those skipeyes that everyone speaks so highly of.

I hope you guys get into them Dan. Any day on the water with your dad is a good day.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Vacation? could you explain that concept to me. Sounds intriguing.:wink:

7. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    We caught them in anywhere from 20-30 foot of water -- with some fairly significant current. All were on the skipeye as we had no carp.

Not as much luck last night however. Managed 3 dinks in a few hours of fishing. Exhaustion has set in.

8. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That has got to be the smallest flat I have ever seen. Sounds like you guys had a good time.

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Greg.....was that you cruising around downtown St Louis last night??? Stitch and I took a newbie out there last night. I thought I saw a boat like yours down there but I couldn't tell if the driver was wearing flowery shorts or not! :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    It was me - I was with a newbie as well.

That was my first time fishing that stretch in particular -- learned a lot as the evening progressed, but didn't get to fish but a couple of spots

Those tugboat operators had some words for you when you wouldn't move (I think that was you between 9-10). I heard them chatting on the radio.

One purposely came over and pushed me off a spot -- and then when back to the channel. The river is certainly different beast down there.

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I heard em.......and we did move! Some of those guys are A$$ES, then others are really cool. Stitch said he was gonna give a report of how we did :roll_eyes::wink:

12. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    `some tugs will go out of there way to keep from messing up your fishin others will go out of there way to tell you to get off there private water,had a long chat with the coast gaurd a couple weeks ago just for your info there is no such thing as restricted water unless posted by the coast gaurd or cor of engineers , second the tugs do have the right of way at all time on the river if they ask you to move you have to, some do it just to be azzh#$%& but we have to live with it ,if a tug does approach you in a unsafe manner the coast gaurd would like to know about it,they want the name of the tug the time it happened ,coast gaurd 314 269 2500, but it might be a can of worms,:doubt:

13. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    I have to say and I'm not braggin but I've navagated the entire length of the Ohio River,been as far north as Davenport on the miss and all the Tenn.river and tenn-tom to the gulf of Mexico at Mobile Ala. Having said all that ---I have never ever been treated poorly by a tow Capt. ---NOW Lockmasters that is another story. I personally got a 30 min Lecture from one in Penn.,and all i said was yes SIR your Exactly CORRECT. because once your in his lock YOUR A$$ is HIS

14. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Well, the fishing trip with Dad didn't work out. :roll_eyes: We decided to take our chances and headed out despite the weather forcast. DRRRR...
    We got the boat in the water, found some mooneye and shad. Set up on our first spot. And then watched the lightning and storm clouds head our way for a bit. We decided to hightail it out of there before we got hammered. And this was after about 15 minutes of being set up on our first spot. :smile2:
    Got the boat loaded up and cleaned out. Headed down the road and about 5 minutes later it was raining so hard you couldn't hardly see to drive.
    Oh well, we'll get'em next time. :cool2:

15. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    That sucks Dan.. Well you've still got the rest of the weekend..

16. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey Greg; I new the Flathead rod had a sensitive tip , But you took it to a new level. Nice pic. Please send it to my e-mail...

Thanks Steve....

17. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Hey Pearl, I think they are laughing at us -- not with us. That's fine as we'll take any kind of recognition.

The pics in the mail. I'll let Pearl tell you about the big hit and subsequent fight.

18. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Steve,
    The rod you see in the pic is your Catfish Safari flathead rod I am borrowing from the Gateway Catfishing Club (I usually fish with gpolce and Pearl but couldn't make it out, so they had the rod). They are great rods and from the looks of the picture, they must be sensitive if you can see a flatty like that hitting the bait. I will have to buy a Catfish Safari rod of my own to replace it when I return it to the club.

Steve

19. Yeller.

Yeller. New Member

State:
    MO

Tried to throw in the rip and have it sit on the edge --- used a 12 oz. weight and goldeye. the slam was epic... The fight lasted around 25 seconds; as soon as polce netted the fish I demanded to have an official weight taken. 1 lb. 1 oz...PB flatty. Sure glad I just bought the kingcat rod at Cabela's last week...

20. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I think you had a typo. You meant, 1.1 ounces.