Im new to the Game

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bigen, May 15, 2008.

1. Bigen

Bigen New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey there, my name is aaron smith and I live in murphysboro IL. I am kinda new to the catfishing scene but not so far as the fishing scene. I am origionally from upstate newyork and me and my father did a lot of salmon fishing so I am no rookie to big fish. My biggest was 56 pound king salmon when I was just 10 years old. I really would apreciate some pointers as to where and how to catch some big cats. I would love to know what kind of cats are in murphy as well as kinkaid lake and some tips on catching them.

2. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    A big Texas welcome to ya! I,m sure somebody in your area will reply and give you some help. Check out the library.

3. Bigen

Bigen New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thank your from illinois to texas. Apreciate the welcome its one reason why I fish, especially catfishing.

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Wish I could help you out with those lakes, but I really do not have any knowledge of them in particular.

Do you have fishing gear and tackle for catfishing?

What exactly do you need help with? A little more specific questions and it will get answered VERY quickly. I promise you that.

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    And I hit submit too fast.... Welcome to the BOC!

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC its great to have you aboard and you will really enjoy this site, like they said boc library has alot of helpful information and tips, as far wise as catching some good size cats, if you have a boat, I would look for deep wholes and sturcture in the water usually them big cats will lay in them deep wholes and feed off of the bottom, or if you bank fish I would look for some places where maybe there is some dead fish at like shad or others, usually if theres dead fish the cats will be eating the fish, and you can fish on bottom or top, and usually you will catch some too. hope this helps some.

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have fished kinkaid lake mant times .
    I fished it on the west side of the bridge that crosses the highway .
    More on the ava side of the lake .
    There are some nice cats in there as well as some muskies .
    Good luck to ya .

8. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    Welcome aboard. youre sure to get your questions answered

9. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Welcome to the BOC. Great to have ya!

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    WELCOME TO THE BOC AND GOOD LUCK FISHING:big_smile::big_smile:

11. Bigen

Bigen New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the welcome guys I apreciate it. I do have tackle to fish cats, I dont have huge surf rods but I have a good bait casting rod that I am using now as well as a Zebco 33. You guys are prolly laughing right now but it's what I got to work with right now. Eventually I am going to upgrade my arsenol as time goes by. I will look forward to maybe getting together with you guys and fishing or at least sharing my catches with you, I have a big turkey fryer that I ussually cook hot wings in but its time to put a bunch of fish in there and have a good fish fry. Again thank you so much for the welcome.

12. Bigen

Bigen New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Some of my more specific questions would be should I be fishing on the bottom or just off the bottom or on top, and I know fresh cut bait works best but I dont have a cast net so I have been tryin bluegill and what not am I going in the right direction. I have had ok luck with a lot of little channel and even a 13lber with chiken liver but dang that stuff is messy and attracts alot of turtles.

13. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, IL. Good luck.

14. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    welcome to the BOC from Knox City, Texas

15. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    yes if you are using bluegill you are going in the right direction. live or cut works great. what you wanna do is go to the boc library and look up the article 5 things a beginner flathead fisherman should know. that should help you out a lot.

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to The BOC!!!:big_smile:

17. raiderfan

raiderfan New Member

State:
    IL
    Welcome to The BOC

18. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Aaron.

19. leutherv

leutherv New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like youre kind of on the right track. My thing is don't waste too mutch time in one spot. When bank fishing I will throw one pole out one direction, a second another direction, one farther out one closer. Wait 10 to fifteen minutes if I've had no bit I will move the first pole to the next promising spot maybe 25 to fifty yards or so give it five minutes if not action. Go get check the second pole. Just sort of leap frog. After youve been to an area a few times and have had some success you will be able to key in on more specific spots.

As far as baits go I try to have atleast a couple diferent varieties. Chicken liver is awesome though it can atract turtles at times. I've even caught a few Grass carp, and even a largemouth bass on chicken liver once believe it or not. I've had good luck with Sonny's dip baits but I kind of got tired of them chewing up those rubber worms used for dip bait, have also used loopers rigs. This year I have been using Danny Kings punch bait with pretty good success. Just got a supply of Lucky 7 because it has shad oil in it, haven't tried it yet. If you have a light pole and a heavier pole I would rig the light pole with an atractor bait, chicken liver or punch bait. Put cut, or live bait on youre heavier pole. Somtimes the atractor bait will sort of chum in a bigger fish and he will take the cut bait.

River fishing I love the no roll slip sinkers were I fish in the Kankakee river I will use anywhere from 1 to 3 ounce sinkers, some people go even heavier. The important thing is you have to have a rod built to throw these heavier sinkers. Fortunately M/H e-glass rods are pretty cheap. Can usually find em for $20 or less. Watch out for some of these cheap catfish spinning and spincasting outfits, the rods arent bad but some of the reels are junk. A reel has to have a smooth drag. There is a big diference between cheap, and inexpensive.

The other thing I would sugest is get a cast net, and learn how to use it. Fresh caught bait is almost always the best. Not to mention you can't beat the price.

Good luck.

Donald

Donald