I'm new...need help on Lake Ray Roberts and Lake Lewisville!

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by denniscobb796, Mar 12, 2008.

1. denniscobb796

denniscobb796 New Member

State:
    Texas
    What a great site!!!!
    I need all the help I can get.

Like a lot of people I grew up thinking that to catch catfish you had to fish in water at least 10ft. deep and that winter time was definitely out. Man was all my childhood fishing myths blow out of the water.
    I recently went fishing with a friend on Lake Tawakoni....man O man...I'm still smiling from that day:big_smile:. We caught big blues in 3 to 5 ft. of water and the water temp. was in the mid 40's. Needless to say and with no pun intended..."I'm Hooked." Since my fishing trip with my buddy I've completely converted my boat to a catfishing rig, complete with Bee Ready rod holders, clickers reels, no roll sinkers and the rest of the works.
    This is what I need help with...I'm going to be fishing Lake Ray Roberts and Lake Lewisville (ALOT). I know people don't like to give up their favorite fishing holes but any and all info. to get me started would be appreciated. Just a point in the right direction on either or both of these lakes would be enough to get me started.
    As I get better and increase my own knowledge of these lakes and others I'll be sure to share with newcomers and the more experienced ones as well. After all it's always more fun to share the good times with friends.

Thanks,
    firefighter796

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, You will get all the help you need from this site. If you can't find and answer.......just ask the question and typically you will get a responce in a few hours.

3. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Welcome from NE Florida. Use the search box above to find almost any info you need.

4. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC. I can't help with the lakes sorry. But if your ever in East Kentucky give me a buzz.

5. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Dennis,
    Welcome to the BOC from Indiana.

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Welcome to the BOC

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Dennis.

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    look up bobbycatfishing he will help u out!!!

9. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Dennis,
    Welcome to the BOC. The same patterns you used on Tawakoni will work on both Lewisville and Ray Roberts. Shallow water fishing for blues is a lot of fun. They are both big lakes and can be frustrating at first. You need to break each lake down into different regions and focus on one area at a time. Look for shallow flats, flooded timber, wind-blown points, ledges, creek channels, bird roosts and such. Hope this helps a little bit.

10. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Bobby is right, he has givin you some very good info on what to do for those lakes.
    Reps to you Bobby. :big_smile:

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to BOC from KY!!!:big_smile:

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC.Your Gonna love it here. ><[[[[ยบ>

13. denniscobb796

denniscobb796 New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks to everyone for the welcome!! i'll definitely keep all the advise in mind!!!!!!! :roll_eyes:
    i plan on fishing lake lewisville on thursday, maybe i'll see you there bobbycatfishing.
    Q: do you think these storms will mess up the fishing for thursday?
    Also...I had my first experience with trying to gather my on bait. I think it actually went fairly well. I was able to get around 20 or so 10 to 12 inch gizzard shad. I figured out how to through my cast net on my first day out...YEAH!!! I'm so excited and ready to put the shad to work. Wish me luck!!!
    Now...what is the best way to cut this huge bait I have????

14. cj7848

cj7848 New Member

State:
    texas
    Hey Dennis, for Ray Roberts try the Buck Creek or Jordan Park accesses, you can find some bird roosts in the timber around these areas. Go in quiet and use some Sure Shot or DK punch bait and you can tear em up. These are on the north-east side around Pilot Point off 377. Buck Creek access is right on 377 north of Pilot Point going into Tioga. For Lewisville Lake I'd fish the old Lake Dallas part. Put in at Big Sandy in Shady Shores and drift the channels or fish around the old dam and dam cut. Another good place on Lewisville is the sailboat cove just across from where you put in at Big Sandy. Just look for all the sailboats docked and you will know where I'm talking about. There's lots more in the big lake but I don't really have much info personally but I've heard that its pretty good around Hickory Creek. Not much more I know but maybe its enough to get you started.

15. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Welcome to the BOC from Indiana

16. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    You can also make you some hot spots yourself. I buy some cans of cheap dog food and put them in a burlap bag and let it hang on a tree limb. Leave it out for a day or so and then go and it should help you cat more fish.