Im new here and just wanted to say hello and have a few ?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by thoroughbred, Aug 4, 2008.

1. thoroughbred

thoroughbred New Member

State:
    ID
    hello all i found this site looking for tips and was happy i found this site. im from buffalo ny but now living in boise idaho and have only been fishing say 5-7 yrs never have had much luck but love trying. i fish the snake river here in idaho among other places and have always had questions so if u dont mind please help if you can.

whats difference between stink bait and dip bait and how do you use dip bait?

yes im 30 yrs old and have never touched a catfish because ive always been afraid because ive always been told they have barbs that hurt like hell how do you get around that (dont laugh im a city boy lol)

ive heard people dont eat anything over like 20lbs or so because meat isnt good, is this true?

what do you use for bait and does it have to be stinky ive heard people use worms, shrimp , stink bait , but worms arent smelly as well as corn so does it really matter?

thats all for now and i apologize im just new and want to learn as much as i can ive went a few times this summer and have been skunked but friend i was with caught 13lb which is biggest fish ive ever seen up close and i hjave few weeks left and would like to get something, thx for your time fellas

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA

welcome to the BOC.

first a hello to a used-to-be neighbor. I live an hour south of buffalo NY (NW PA). unlike other fish its kind of hard to drive out of 'catfish' country.

stinkbait refers to any bait, that draws cats in and entices the bite by smell (as opposed to more 'natural choices'). dip bait is definitely a stink bait. someone here is probably more informed about stink baits- I don't use them. NOt all baits smell, catfish are talented bottom feeders and don't need a smelly bait.

the list of baits to use is well, overwhelming. don't get hung up on it. find a bait that works for you and get confident with it. if you look you will see there's a few widely used baits; its best to try one of these. of all the baits you listed, corn is not a common one. also nightcrawlers is common but IMHO you can do better. Cut up bait fish is a very common effective bait not on your list. Also chicken liver.

as for barbs. don't worry about them. catfish have two spots to avoid; don't put you hand in there mouth and don't put you hand near there top fin. the top fin is bony and moveable and a gasping catfish could hurt you if you were holding it by the top and a gasping catfish pushed the fin into your hand.

BUT its just a bone, not a knive, claw, or fang. some people have unreasonable fears of catfish; they're about as touchy as a bluegill sunfish (which can do nearly the same thing).

Enough for now; this is my first Serious summer of catting too. feel free to browse your states forum to know the local anglers and we look forward to hearing how you do.

3. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC.

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC from SO. Alabama

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Welcome to the BOC (brotherhood of catfishermen).

Stink bait or dip bait is about the same. Stink bait is a dough bait you ball up and put on your hook. Dip bait you use with a sponge or some material to hold the bait on then put it on your hook. Both have strong scents to them to attract cats.

The barbs in quiestion are on the two side fins. They have a poison in them for protection. As the catfish gets older and larger the barbs aren't as sharp but can still do damage. Many a fisherman have lost fingers from them due to infection from the poison in years past but that was before modern medicines have come along that kill infections so easily. If you do get stabbed or cut by the fins there are several quick remedies to combat the sting. One is to rub the wound on the fishes belly. The catfishes own slime on its skin will take the sting out. I have used this many times and it works after a few minutes. Another one I have read here recently was to urinate on it. Yea that's what I said urinate on it. The urine from your own body will wash out the wound and kill the poison and the sting and your fresh urine is sterile.

For all kinds of other tips, tricks, and information check out the member library. Believe me you will learn a lot in there.

6. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    welcome! I like to use bait that you catch where you are fishing. Like shad, bluegills, or pieces of carp. I did catch a catfish with a crawdad in his mouth, but I have had little luck using them. Get a castnet, and watch out for snags. My fish size greatly increased after I got a castnet. Chicken livers are great catfish bait too.

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    cool! I didn't know that. do all three kinds (flatheads, channel, blue) have those side barbs or only channels??

still think I've been way more hurt by being dense with a hook than from a catfish. other fish are more ferocious. I still remember the gar I tangled with a little while back- now that was a mean, nasty, dangerous fish!!!

8. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Looked it up and answered my own question

"All catfish have sharp barbs on their pectoral fins that inject poison when they jab an enemy. To people, catfish "stings" are no worse than insect bites. Remember, it is their fin barbs that sting, not their whiskers. "
    found in quite a few places on the net.

this applies to even the exotic ones in different countries. although some of them have much stronger poison and being 'stung' by one is not the trivial thing it is for us.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Jerome! Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Idaho has channel and flathead catfish, but not blues. You'll probably have better success using totally different techniques for channels and flatheads. Flatheads generally prefer live baitfish, but can sometimes be caught on fresh cut bait or even a big gob of worms. Channels, on the other hand, like a wide variety of baits; you'll just have to try different ones till you find what they like that day. Any of the prepared baits (dip, stink, dough, punch) may work well for you; chicken liver is also a favorite (be sure to check out how to cure them, because they last longer cured, and often works as well or better than fresh); shrimp; cut baitfish (where legal); worms; and, well, you get the idea. Channels seem to like just about anything, at one time or another.
    There's one sharp pointed fin on the top of a catfish, and one on each side. The ones on the sides are serrated on the back side, much like a steak knife. In other words, they don't necessarily have to stick you to hurt you. On the other hand, when caught, a catfish generally locks all three fins in an upright position, creating some great places to hold on to. There are several slightly different ways to do this, but my favorite is to put my thumb behind one side fin, the palm of my hand on the fish's stomach, and the other side fin between my first and second fingers. If this seems a little to much for you, there are holders to grab the fish's lower lip and one that has jaws to grab the catfish behind the fins.
    If you do get stuck, the stinging is no worse than a wasp or bee sting, but remember that it's a puncture wound, and they are more likely to get infected. I treat it like any other puncture wound...get it to bleed as much as possible, and watch for redness after I get home. Antibiotic salve can't hurt, either.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jerome.

12. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Jerome, WELCOME to the BOC. Great bunch of people on here...

13. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the BOC Jerome

14. thoroughbred

thoroughbred New Member

State:
    ID

could you direct me to a site where i could get one or would a walmart have one? i didnt know that anything like that was made. being honest with you just jumping in there and grabbing one is a bit much for me (i know sad lol) ive caught a few trout and they werent so bad

15. thoroughbred

thoroughbred New Member

State:
    ID

thx used to be neighbor ok as far as not putting your hand in mouth which i get, makes sense but how can noodlers do that? ive seen it on tv and was amazed they could grab a fish with no gloves anything and not get hurt i dont see teeth on catfish but i dont know this site has a ton of knowledge wow just browsing the old threads

16. thoroughbred

thoroughbred New Member

State:
    ID
    thx everyone for your help . heres the plan wed going to snake river with wife and kid (went last week where friend caught big one ) going to go again about 7-8pm i bring lanterns(but that actually sucked the bugs were crazy and totally in my face hitting me etc) ive seen here about glow sticks how are they? i also seen a pole in walmart that glowed in the dark you put batteries in it anyone think thats good? im going to bring raw shrimp, worms, and maybe if bait store near by some fresh mackerel(that ok?) and some dough bait i user 2 size circle hooks i was told i dont need to do anything just let the cat take it which is also what i read here.feel free to comment on my plan tips/suggestions are welcome and thx again

p.s. ive seen a few youtube videos on filleting fish wife will be doing ive seen it done without gutting fish and with, fav?

17. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    for reasons I don't understand it is much safer to put a hand in a flathead catfish mouth. In fact this is frequently done when posing for pictures.

that being said. noddling doesn't strike me as a very reasonable or PArticularly safe thing to do. I think even that Noddlers TAKE pride that noddling is NOT a safe or reasonable thing to do.:wink:

at any rate, in most states it isn't legal -- so I'll leave it at that. Perhaps a noddler will speak up.

The magic comes when you catch a real big cat. Once you do it; you won't mind so much the long lonely nights, swarming misquitoes, heavy equiptment, the relatively inactive still fishing, stinging barbs or whatever.

this is predatory fishing; and in many places a trophy cat is as big as they come. If you're not caught alot of cats; your next major task is to find someplace where you can reliably catch them. That's not too easy!! and particularly in places like NY, PA, or ID where they are less common.

thats why a short note in your state's forum Might not be a bad idea. you might find a cheerful fellow willing to show you around a little.

Good luck

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jerome Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

19. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    welcome, friend, to the B.O.C.!!:smile2:

20. jolie