I'm new! Help me!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by ragsman, Jun 18, 2006.

1. ragsman

ragsman New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hello everyone!
    I just bought a boat yesterday, and I'm ready to do some river fishing. I just want to learn a few decent spots and methods to fish on either side of Nickajack dam, so I can take my family out and at least catch a few fish. I don't care if it's bream, cat, bass, whatever.

How about some specific advice (for cats, rig this way, use this bait, fish here.), for any type of fish.

Thanks guys, this is a great forum!

Mark

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    First off, Welcome to the BOC!!!

I think we need some more information on what you are after, Flattheads, Blues, or Channels.
    Shad will work for all three, providing you have a castnet.
    Hooks size, well I would use nothing under a 5/0.
    Line size, Go with something that you are comfortable with, I preffer line 20# and above.
    Riggs, If you are fishing at the dam, You should use a three-way rig or a slip-rig with at least a 3oz. weight.

I hope this helps.

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Mark, welcome to the BOC!

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome MARK. First ,are you familiar with boating? If not aquaint yourself with boating rule and regulations of your state. Now for fishing.
    rods and reels = What ever you have available
    bait = worms, small fish (cut or whole) ,dough balls, crickets almost anything will work sometimes.
    bobber or bottom Placement of baits.
    Fish around and close to structure. visable logs, stumps, weed beds, sandbars, under trees along shore, boat docks etc.
    Ask at a bait shop near where you plan to fish.
    ask people at the ramp whats biting, on what bait and where at.( be warned , not everyone tells truthfully)
    The Georgia Brothers will find this soon and help you more.
    The library has lotsof info in it. look at top ribbon and click.

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome Mark. Hope you enjoy the BOC. Lots of info here.

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Hey Mark, welcome to the family my friend. Judy and I have fished behind the dam at Nickajack quite a few times and have caught quite a few big blues using live bream for bait. Just use redworms to catch your bream and there are a lot of them there when they are biting. We use 7/0 and 10/0 Kahle hooks, 50 pound test line for catfish. Hook the bream through the eyes and scrape off a few scales on one side.

We would run close to the boils, but not too close. We drift back bumping the bottom. If you are looking for some bream, if you are facing the water standing on the boat ramp, the bank to your left about half way from the lock is a good place. Also for catfish, bream and about anything else you may want, fish inside the old lock but beware at the huge chunk of concrete, you will hang up easily there.

You can catch skipjack from the bank early in the morning from the walkway on the east side of the river up close to the turbines. If they are not generating you probably won't do good catching skips or anything else. It has been a while since we have been fishing. Another word of extreme caution, NEVER EVER get close to the flood gates when they are open, a lot of people have lost their lives at the flood gates at Nickajack.

7. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC the best catfishing site on the net!

8. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    Welcome to the BOC MARK

9. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Welcome to BOC Mark!

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Mark welcome to the BOC.

11. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    welcome to the boc, mark. great people and info, enjoy.

12. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    Welcome to the BOC I thing you find the info you need to get started in this site.

13. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Mark.

14. ragsman

ragsman New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Wow, I'm impressed at the tremendous response!

Drednaught, I'm after whatever I can catch. I've caught lots of catfish in farm ponds, and a few in the river on the bank, but never from a boat. I wouldn't know the techniques to catch the different species, so I don't know what I"m after! thanks for the tackle advice.

catseeman, I am familiar with boating, I had one for a few years in the early 90's and fished the wheeler reservoir and the elk river some. 95% of it for bass. Good advice on the boating safety, and I've been reading up on the Tennessee laws and brushing up on boating safety. Also thanks for the library link tip!

Jim (Fish) that's the specific advice I was looking for! I know roughly the bream spot you are talking about below the dam. My wife would love to find a nice bream hole! I also am very familiar with dam operation and the dangers there, I have a friend who was in a boating accident at Watts bar a few years ago, and while he escaped with his life, his fishing partner did not. I also work at Seqoyah nuclear, so I'm up to speed on power plant operation.

I have mostly medium bass tackle and light stuff for panfish, so looks like if I do river cats I'll have to get some heavy duty stuff.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll keep you updated on my progress and luck!

Mark

15. m.a.p.

m.a.p. New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Welcome To The Boc.

16. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Welcome to the greatest site on the web:0a23:

17. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC, Mark.

18. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Mark, welcome to the group. I hope that you'll have as much fun and learn as much as I have. I would recommend that you read as many posts as you can about techniques, bait, etc. Also, try to meet some of your local members. Most of them are glad to help you learn the ropes and you'll have a lot of fun at the same time.

19. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Can anyone help me get the picture I have uploaded in my profile to show up on a post?

20. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I guess you can see I figured it out. Thanks anyway