I'm moving to freshwater

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by catcam, Aug 21, 2006.

1. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm moving from Savannah to Atlanta September 1st. I'm so sad to be leaving the coastal area however it's work related. I'm keeping the boat and moving it to a marina at Lake Oconee. I just thought I would try my luck and see if there are any members that fish that lake now? I know that post in the past didn't pull many results. We had the GA BOC gathering there in June and the catfishing was slim to say the least. Although I have located an area on the lake where the catfish are more plentiful. There are tons of bass fishermen and bass tournaments on this lake. However, I want to get serious about the catfishing on Lake Oconee. Any advice is welcome. Thanks, Jennifer

PS I know I've been away from the BOC for awhile, just repling to posts here and there... I've had so much on my plate- I don't even know where to begin. :crazy: moving among many, many other things.

2. Catnewb101

Catnewb101 New Member

State:
    Marietta, Georgia
    i forgot where lake oconee but im looking it on mapquest right now
    aahh southeast of atlanta....theres some pretty good fishing there so i hear but havent done so much fishing so dont ask me =P

good luck with the move and all and most of all, have fun!

3. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks, Jeff. Can you tell me what the fishing is like around Atlanta, if any? I use to up to N. GA a long time to Wild Cat Creek above Hiwassee and trout fish.

4. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Jennifer, if you can't find any good waters down around Atlanta, come on up to Chattanooga and do some fishing on the Tennessee River. There is some excellent fishing at Nickajack and Chickamauga and Judy and I would love to fish with you when we get our boat motor running right.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Keep us posted.Please don;t forget us.The water sure ought to be good on your gear.Flush it all out.Best of luck with your life.peewee-williams

6. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks guys! Hey fish, the cat in my avatar was pulled up from the TN River, near 10 Mile TN. Would love to go fishing with ya'll as well. Pee Wee, my boat is happy about the move. Going out now to test run her with her new power pack. I'm putting in up above the wild life refuge. If all goes well, after that flushing her out greasing the bearings on the trailer and hoping for the best on the 3.5 hour drive. :smile2:

7. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    A guy I know fishes Oconee for cats. Says he catches them all morning. I think its called Sandy something, Marina:0a28: . Anyways he says to turn on your depth finder and head straight out from the ramp until the shelf drops off. He claims they don't quit biting all morning.

Used to love the Wild Cat creek area. My brother and I Trout fish all in that area.

8. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Jen: Congrats on the move we missed you here so keep us informed on things. Good luck fishin Oconee try below the Dam as that lake feeds the Altamaha River,(where there is sunfish there are Flatheads).

9. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Matt- Thanks for the great advice, I'll have to find that marina and try your friend's spot. Hey maybe I'll see your friend :smile2: My boat is kept at Sugar Creek marina. Here is a map if you want to look, maybe you can tell me from this. http://www.oconee.org/map.htm
    Greg- I've tried the north side of the dam, I can't easily get to the otherside. Thanks and if anyone cares to look at the map and give some advice where they would try, I appreciate it!
    :0a31: :0a31:

10. Bobby Parker

Bobby Parker New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hey catcam, sorry to hear your leaving our area. I'm from down in Ludowici Ga. I'm new to the BOC, but have been fishing ,hunting, and catfishing on the Altamaha, all my life. I'm planning on going after them this weekend. I've been to Lake Oconee several times white perch fishing, but haven't tried the catfish up there. I have fished in the Sugar Creek area but it has been several years. If your ever back down this way, give me a call. I'll show you around the Altamaha. We can even do some catfishing if you would like to. Iwish you the best in your new home.
    God Bless
    Bobby Parker
    912-545-2473