Im man enough

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN, Dec 17, 2009.

1. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    to admit that Bill is right about this Power Pro line.I never thought I would ever use anything but mono,but Im here to tell you it is far superior in
    every way to mono.I finally tried it and gave it a fair chance and it has made me a better fisherman-superior casting -more accuracy-with a flouro leader you dont lose big fish,but you also dont lose your big investment in the line when you do get snagged-you can lock down on a monster heading for brush and actually win instead of cussing up a storm when he makes it to the brush and breaks you off-as long as it is packed on the spool properly there is no comparison IMO.I was wrong about braid Bill and I admit it.Thanks for the advice.It has made me better at this.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Keith, we all learn most everything we know from somebody. The BOC has been a great learning tool for me. James Matherly turned me on the Power Pro, and Gamakatsu 8.0 octopus circle hooks. I've never looked back since. I'm very glad you tried, and like it. It always amazes me when folks say they have tried it and DON'T like it. As you stated, it IS so SUPERIOR to mono, there's really no comparison. Reps out to you!

Bill in SC

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    WHAT A GUY!

4. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    I am lucky I found this site.Ive been fishing virtually all my life,and I have finally figured out that I am still learning......(Im hardheaded):confused2:

5. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    I like the concept of it but how do you prevent it from getting bound up on the reel. after catching a nice fish and go to cast it will stop you in mid cast do to the line binding within itself

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Never have that problem. Maybe on the rare backlash, if you don't pull the whole nest out. Otherwise, never had a problem like you describe. Even after catchin a hog, my line never gets bound up on the reel. I do use 80 or 100 pound test though. The thinner test capacities MAY do this, but I don't use the thin stuff so I don't know.

BB in SC

7. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    The simple fact is it must be wound on the reel very tight.After casting hundreds of times that amount of line (average) is not going to let it bind up.The line underneath will still be very tight if it was put on properly.
    I had this problem early on until I finally figured out that it had to be on very tight.I have not had a problem since then.This was with both 65lb and 100lb.

Wanted to add that I never had a issue casting anyway.For me it was huge rays and good sharks pulling really hard and letting the line get up under itself because it was on the spool too loose.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I ALWAYS spool my reels "snugly", keeping tension on it as I spool the reel full.

Bill in SC

9. Power Pro, or I won't go.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Power Pro... OR SUFIX! BOTH RULE!

Bill in SC

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    the only thing i use mono for is leader, all my reels are spooled with power pro:wink:

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am a big fan of Big Game Mono. Used it for years, and still do on most rivers I target. However, been running Power Pro for a few years now for certain applications, especially when casting or floating livebaits for long distances. I love it! Have no complaints! I personally think mono and braid have their own advantages over each other. I fish different areas and run both for that reason...Goodluck...rollo

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Remember my questions on "the psychology of fishing????"

Using braid or mono is mostly mental in my opinion. Anglers have a comfort zone where they think things are best. One line or the other puts anglers there.

I have tested them both out, and neither mono or braid is superior in every situation. There are pro's and con's to each line.

".....I do use 80 or 100 pound test though. The thinner test capacities MAY do this...."

I think Bill in SC is right about the smaller stuff binding up easier. I use the 65-80 pound Power Pro on my saltwater reels and don't have those issues, but have seen that happen when I tried it out in lighter tests on my catfish rods.

The jury is still out for me on braid. The quality mono I use, and the rods and reels I use, provide me all the "horsing" power I need to make a fish do whatever I want in the lakes and rivers I fish.

I can see where heavier line and heavier rods/reels might be needed in swift river current. Casting heavier weights to hold bottom and also the added line strength in fast moving current would some advantages I can think of. I am curious if the buoyancy of braid counteracts some of the weight you are using though, thus meaning you need more weight. Thoughts?

I guess for me in all my testing and trials with braid I have not come up with a good reason to switch over totally, but most of that testing has been drifting. I am doing a lot more anchoring now, so may I will spool a couple of more reels up and give it a more thorough test.

My conclusions on the subject are this; using all braid, or using all mono, will not make a difference in the fish that I catch. HOW I FISH will make the difference.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think it's more than just a mental thing, due to the properties of each line. Braid, by having NO stretch, seems to give me a better hookup ratio. (I get just enough stretch with the mono or fluoro leader) Plus, with no stretch it's easier to break off when hung. I was fishin' with someone the other day who had mono on a reel. It got hung. I tried to break it off and had to walk the full length of the boat before it stretched enough to break off. One thing I have said before that I will bring back up. When mono is stretched to break off, the whole length of stretched line is weakened, then it breaks at the weakest point. The rest of what you reel in after it is broken off is still weakened, and you may lose that next potential trophy with it. Braid is just a personal preference, and may not be necessary for open lake fishing. It IS mentally gratifying when you are reeling in a monster cat, and you have confidence that there is NO way he's gonna break you off by over powering your line. I can testify that I have lost LOTS of trophy fish due to line failure when I used monofilament, before I found out about the super braids.

Bill in SC

15. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...I can testify that I have lost LOTS of trophy fish due to line failure..."

Wow. Ya, you need to switch to some rope then!! :crazy:

Luckily for me, I have never had that issue. Line breaking has never been a problem for me. I learned from Capt. Rodger Taylor how to put the screws to a big fish on light tackle without fear of breaking them off. "Turn that head and get 'em off the bottom" is what he taught me.

:wink:

"...Braid, by having NO stretch, seems to give me a better hookup ratio..."

I tried to document that when I was using braid side by side with mono drifting. My hope was that the braid would provide a better hook-up ratio and be wort switching. It turned out it was too close to call. My biggest complaint drifting was tangles, and when braid tangles you end having to cut it. Unlike mono the knots cinch down and are impossible to get untangled. You do notice ever subtle bump along the bottom and you can tell the most subtle bite when anchored, even with slack in the line.

Believe it or not I use braid on all my spinning rods for catching perch and bream. I love having the combination of line strength and small diameter, especially when you snatch six perch out of the water at one time on a Sabiki rig!!

Braid casts really well too, and this may be a good benefit to have on some of my catfish rods when I anchor down. Like I said, I am going to try some on my anchoring rods for catfish and see if it makes a difference. I fish 20# mono for all my rods now, but if I try braid it will have to be in the 65# range due to line diameter. The small diameter braid is a pain...LOL!!

There is the price issue for some folks. When buying in bulk (2500+ yards) the price difference is about three times as much for braid versus mono of the same diameter. In an ideal world where you never got tangled and never broke anything off the braid be the better bet because it lasts longer. But we all know we don't fish in an ideal world!!

The best part about braid, hehehehehe, is the sound it makes coming through the guides!!!

:smile2:

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You are starting to wear me down, but, at least for now, I'll stick with Big Game on my catfish rods. Not to knock anybody, but I wonder how many of the added strength features of braid have to do with some folks either not changing their mono often enough or not tying good knots, etc. The biggest benefit I see to the heavy braids (and I admit I haven't used them much) is the ability to maybe pull a good flathead out of cover after he gets in. With 30 or even 20 pound fresh, quality mono and good knots most people simply can not pull hard enough to break the line with conventional catfishing tackle, in open with the rod up and a good bend in the rod, so I don't see the need to go to anything stronger, except for the possibility of pulling fish out of a snag. I also have seen people fishing with heavy lines, both mono and braid, that got hung and gave a little tug and broke the line. Something there does not add up, if you know what I mean. I have lost a few good flatheads that dove into cover and my (wimpy) mono was not enough to get them back out - those experiences make me think maybe I need some heavy braid just for those situations. In reasonably open water, though, I can't see why I need it. Also, I always work under the assumption that any tackle that is heavier than is needed is a liability. I believe that if 15 pound mono is heavy enough to get the job done, then you will catch more fish with it than you will with 50 pound line. The lighter line is easier to work with, less likely to tip off the catfish, and allows a more natural presentation of the bait, especially live bait.

All of that having been said, several years ago I started fishing braid on my mid weight spinning rods that I use to fish light jigs and plugs for spotted seatrout and red drum. I started with Power Pro, but in the light weights (like 8 to 10 pound test) it was just a nightmare to work with. Before long I was spending more time trying to untangle loops and wind knots that I was fishing. I tried Fireline and I have not gone back. For the lighter lines, because it has a bit of body, it handles much better that the pure braids. It is not as thin as a pure braid, but diameter is really not an issue. Eight pound Fireline is still plenty skinny. It is strong as heck, casts great, is tremendously sensitive, and handles easily with a minimum of tangles and knots.

17. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    with all being said I will take any mono left over spools you have when you make the conversion pm me for address :roll_eyes:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....With 30 or even 20 pound fresh, quality mono and good knots most people simply can not pull hard enough to break the line..."

Bingo! I personally have never seen a catfish break line on a properly set-up rod/reel combination without a flaw in the line from a fray.

"....I don't see the need to go to anything stronger, except for the possibility of pulling fish out of a snag..."

Right there you are into a compromised situation to begin with. It's a 50/50 shot at landing a fish when it's in brush or rocks. I generally don't fish in areas where I have a 50/50 shot at landing a fish, especially tournament fishing. I think you are better off fishing near the structure and lure them out of it with your presentation. Then, "put the screws" to them and they will never make it back into the cover!!

I got a couple of mono equipped anchoring reels that need some new line, so I might spool them up tonight and try them out tomorrow!!!

:wink:

19. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    you guys desription of what you want in line sounds like mine thats why i use all flouracarbon no strech last forever an strong but a little pricy

20. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    I have 30lb PP on a Shimano Sonora spinner and havent had any issues with it either.I have not tried the very small braid yet but I will eventually.
    I use it to pond fish for bullheads.

I still say that many people have had problems the same way I did by not properly winding the line on.I can see where that would turn people off to braid.If you watch the tackle shop guys put it on they will tell you that they have alot of pressure on it as it goes on the spool.Another point is
    I have seen spinning reels that just dont take braid properly and leave a "u" in the middle of the spool.This is a disaster waiting to happen.I have seen level winds leave crevices out by the edges of the spool where the levelwind doesnt put the line on evenly...same thing.braid is a little more cantankerous until you figure it out,but pays huge dividends,atleast for me it has.