Im lost

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by smoothalltheway, Jun 18, 2009.

1. smoothalltheway

smoothalltheway New Member

State:
    ca
    Im new to catfishing and have been on this site it seems like everyday trying to figure out how to catch a fish. Ive been to a couple lakes to include dixon, miramar, and hodges but still havent been able to catch anything ive been using chicken liver,worms,secret 7, even hot dogs but nothing seems to work for me. Can someone please direct me to a good place to go near san diego area where i can atleast get one fish!! or some techniques to use

2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    welcome to the boc

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Try some fresh cut-bait and give that a shot. Catch some bait, and chunk it up into different sizes. Experiment with sizes and match your terminal tackle according.

Pretty solid bunch of BOC California members, and you do have some monsters lurking in those managed lakes.

4. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Welcome to the BOC Johnny, hang in there, you will get one.

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    careful now paul. he's in ca and rules are strict there on bait. no gills at all. cut bait is mac's or other saltwater baits. try mackeral, chicken liver, shrimp. night crawlers is a good bait.
    wish you the best and welcome to boc. i used to live in vista, and hated fishing there.
    gary

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

WELCOME to the BOC Johnny!Keep checking your Local CA. section.Someone will help you out!Check with your state fishing agency,they should be able to point you to some waters with decent numbers of cats near you.Check in on the discussion boards for the kind of catfish your after.Check out reports from your local bait shops,it,ll give you a starting point anyhow.:wink:

7. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    hey , i went to school in vista and did a lot of fishing there
    although it was bass fishing
    gary, ever fished lake san marcos back in the day?
    welcome to the boc johnny, if u want to go fish perris or dvl ,hit me up

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    San Diego has some of the best fishing for catfish in California - plus its the mecca for blue cats in California. You have Lower Otay, el capitan, murrey, san vicente but its closed for a few years, jennings, henshaw is slamming with channels, dixon, poway, and hodges just to name a few. Pretty much the name of the game is location and preseverance when it comes to these lakes. Monitor the bite and get at it when its popping. As now now channels is doing good and poway, jennings and santee lakes are stocking cats at this time. You can go there and catch some cats. Use mackerel or bonita or skipjack. Flyline your bait if fishing from boat or carolina rigg if fishing from bank, and just spend some time out there. You will get on them. I frequent that area quite a bit as well as other associates. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up. I keep a tab on whats happening in the SD area because its one of my favorite places to fish.

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    WELCOME TO THE BOC JOHNNY.THATS JUST THE WAY IT GOES SOME TIMES YOU WILL GET ONE SOON JUST HANG IN THERE.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Johnny.

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Brian, never fished lake san marcus. was always a private lake for me.
    when i fished there, was mainly with my kids or fishing club at school i worked for at the time, so we fished for anything that bit. thought i was doing good until i moved here to yuma. LOL
    wished i'd know bluehunter and guys like the ones i've met here on BOC back then. sigh!!
    gary

12. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Welcome to the BOC. I think Bluehunter summed it up. Just keep trying different spots and different lakes. Unless you pay VERY close attention to the bite cycles, spawn cycles, etc. it's pretty much hit and miss. I just go and if they're biting that day cool, if not, I'll get em next time.:wink:

13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25: to the B.O.C. Johnny
    If you have a 2 pole fishing stamp - this is what I would do Buddy:

1. I would take the advice you the guys here on the B.O.C. because they know what they are taking about and I have learned a lot from them and you will too.
    :wink:

2. I would rig up one of my rods with dip bait only because your chances of get cat on that are very high for eaters,
    &
    the other rod I would rig up with fresh cut bait of some kind - Shad & Mackel are good cut baits.

3. I would not say in one area for to long if I don't get results in 30 to 45 minutes of being there, stay on the move if the fish are not there.

4. When you get to an area, make sure that you give that area a far shot by "Fan casting" (Casting in different spots) in that area.
    &
    5. "Never Give Up" - "Your get one" - "Just don't stop trying". :0a23:
    :wink:

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Welcome to the BOC, hang in there, there are guys here who know how to catch fish. Last time I was at Dixon they said there were cats in there but I probably wouldn't catch em due to the water bein too cold. I've heard other folks tell me they caught some pretty good sized ones there. Bait price is kinda high there, I would go to the public pier and catch a bucket of mackerel and freeze em then take a few to the lake and go fishing. I've seen dead cats in the lake, I've never caught a catfish in CA but may someday. Keep at it, good luck

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    funny on dixon lake. you and i both suck there. my son does good there on cats. i used to fish with a friend they called mr catfish and mr crappy. we'd fish middle of winter or at least until they'd close the lake.
    fished the middle channel. he'd use mackerel. feed out ft or so extra line. it would slowly tighten. then give another ft. 5 minutes later, tighten again. do this for 20 minutes, then set hook. bring channel up every time. me, i worked the net.
    gary

16. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Been a whole bunch of years since I fished Dixion... camped there with my ole tent trailer... but did come back a time or two and do the cat thing at night.... rented the boat and out to the bouy line with mackerel...
    .......Thats the ticket.. night time and out there til it closes....

17. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    I fish Dixon and Wohlford (both in escondido) 4-5 times a month. My buddies and i catch cats at both lakes all the time. They just started stocking them again this week, and will continue through mid August. Now is the time to get out there for them. I'll give you a few spots at each lake to try.

Dixon
    From shore: Trout cove, and all 3 piers. You will start to find them from the shore near the piers as well. If you rent a boat then travel around the lake to those same spots. My friends and i have great luck with mack, crawlers, and livers. Like other posters have mentioned, if your on a boat then "flyline" your bait, and from the shore carolina rig it.

Wohlford
    I have never rented a boat here, all my cats have been caught from the shore. Hit up Oakvale cove, and work your way back to the dam bouy line. Also on the other side of the lake start at Senior shoreline, and work your way back to the same bouy line. The best action we have had has been on macks.

For better luck at both lakes get there early for the 6-noon bite. Take a mid day 2-3 hour break and come back for the evening bite. You can catch fish during the midday sometimes, but it gets hot at both lakes during the summer and the bite tends to die off in the hottest hours.

If your not catching fish change up baits. I know you said you have been using a list of different things. Some days mack works good, and on others nightcrawlers are getting slammed. We always bring macks, and crawlers, along with at least 4 scents to smear on both. The scents we use vary from shrimp, anchovie, crawfish, and anise/garlic.

As recommended before try "fan casting" to increase your coverage at each spot you try, and make sure you move to a new spot if you don't get any bites after 30-40min.

One last thing, wohlford does have bullheads, and they can be pesky bait stealers that make you think you are getting decent action. So make sure you check your bait if you get a hit and nothing happens after that for 5-10min. Throw fresh bait on and get it back out there.

If you can get to O'side pier during hightide at night you can catch all the mack you will need. Don't by them at wal-mart for $3 each. Our best bait catching outting this year yielded 27lbs of mack in a 5 hour session. That's almost $90 worth of bait FOR FREE! We used that bait for 2 months before we ran out, and i fish for cats, and or sharks 5-6 times a month, so thats a lot of macks to go through.

Hope this helps