I'm letting my secret bait out...

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by baptistpreach, Dec 4, 2007.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I struggled about whether to tell others about this or not:embarassed:, because my second time trying it, I caught the fish in my avatar, and I had found a recipe that I had not heard of heretofore, but if it helps someone else out, I am happy to share it. This is great because it will be available even if you have a hard time catching bait, its ready when you are, and you get a great meal in the process!

My wife bought boneless pork chops that were wrapped in bacon (like filet mignon), but all you have to do is cook them with bacon, have dinner and enjoy, but when you are done, cut the leftovers into whatever bait size pieces you want, refrigerate the leftovers, and let them sit for a couple of weeks (ziplock bag). When you are ready, grap the bag and hook a piece, and cast and wait. The grease from the bacon and the pork makes the scent disperse quickly (IMO) and catfish love it. Another benefit, is that the bait stays on the hook very very well, in fact you could save your pieces if nothing bites.
    I like to make sure there is a bit of bacon in the piece, but it works bc it has the grease!
    Enjoy!:wink:

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    will have to try that, afterall i love pork chops if i dont catch ne thing i have a pit on the boat!!!

3. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Good info. I bet the Channels would love it.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the idea. There is a problem around my house there is never any chops or bacon left to use as bait.:smile2:

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: I know that feeling Mickey, and it doesn't matter how many/much gets cooked up either :smile2: round here any way!

Sitll a nice idea tho

6. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Sounds like a good idea. I'll try it.

7. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I used porkchops that were the thickness of a steak. They actually came with bacon wrapped around them. Just look for thicker pork!

8. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I would try that too, but like some others said, there aren't any left for bait around here! I love pork chops and would just as soon have the chops and find another source for my catfish bait. but, will give it a shot if i do have any leftovers!!!

9. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    What's leftovers???????:confused2::confused2::eek:oooh::confused2::confused2:

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks for sharing the information brother Baptist. As others had said I don't think they would be any left overs man that sounds delicious. HmmmmmmmmmmAHHH

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Leftovers! What is that? :confused2: Thanks for sharing the information with us. Now I just need to figure out this thing you call leftovers.:smile2:

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You also might want to try using salt pork. It's not all that expensive and stays on the hook very well. My biggest using it as bait was a 16 1/2# blue.

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thanks for tha idea man:wink:.also i have found that beef tips like tha kind u use in beef stew work great as well.we dont use them mutch because they are so expensive and taste so good its almost ashame to use them.lol

14. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    is that what we call fat back?if so i love that stuff but will try it thanks:cool2:

15. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm wondering... what if you soaked something like chicken (or some other meat) in bacon grease? Would that work as well? Might be something to try...

Reason I ask is cuz we, like everyone else, RARELY have leftovers - but I can save the grease! :wink:

16. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Sounds like those fish are gonna' be eatin' better than I do. Come to think about it--so does my dog.

17. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I usually will batter and fry my pork chops. Do you? Or do you just pan fry them?

18. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    hey I have idea try marinating your chops in Italian dressing all night very good eating and grill them delicious :wink:

19. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm with ya there. In fact, it got me to thinking, what about just adding some bacon grease to some DK's or other pre-made stink bait?

20. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    What I used was cooked in the skillet, but I think the grease is what made it effective. BUT, the catfish didn't tell me what was his favorite part. I do think adding grease is a great idea I haven't heard much about though!