I'm in need of a 55 gallon plastic drum bad!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfishjohn, Apr 23, 2008.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    If anyone close to me has one they would like to part with, please let me know. I'm wanting to build a nice bait tank and my 10 gallon aquarium just isn't cutting it at all.
    I've been thinking on ways to insulate it and I can get all the plumbing supplies very cheap or free seeing as how my 2 cousins are Master Plumbers that have their own business.
    Also, I don't know if I should hook up a bilge pump for water changes. I am also thinking of a way for the filter system for it.
    I have all the chemicals I'll need so thats not a problem.
    If anybody has any ideas or useful tips, please post them. I'll appreciate any help or info I can get.
    The cheaper I can get the barrel is really good, free is exactly in my price range...:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::smile2:

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think the library has several post on how to make an maintain a bait tank.

Can get to it at bottom of page by Clicking on archive or click this link.

Member Library

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
  4. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    Have you checked out you local Surplus Store? :wink:

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When I decided I wanted a plastic drum to make a bait well out of, I just went on line and serched (think I used Google Local) for plastic drums or barrels in my city. Companies that use them much usually sell used ones pretty cheap.

I wasn't clear if you were talking about a live well for your boat or a bait tank for home. For the boat, I am a big believer in flow-through live wells. I mounted a little bilge pump on the transom so it sits below the water line and just ran a hose to the live well. Then I put in a drain (always use a larger diameter line than the supply line) and justlet it drain over the side. With sunfish I usually only have to run the water every so often to keep them happy, unless it's real hot and I have a bunch of them in there.

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    dont know how far you are from cannelton dam but there is one from flood washout there on the bank on the KY side drive right up to it and load it up. I started to get it to make a deer feeder out of but i went with a metal one instead that I could weld my legs to.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I haven't checked out those yet but I bet they want a lot for them, more than I'm willing to pay.:confused2:...$$$ is tight and I'm looking for the cheapest route I can get. Fixed Income is a pain in the arse!!!!!:angry:

Thanks for the library tips but my main concern now is getting the 55 gal. plastic drum. I'm pretty sure how I'm gonna do it but I have to have it first.
    I'll also check out the library to see if I can improve on my ideas.

Thank You all that have responded!!!:big_smile:

8. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    John if I can find a way to get the one I have tied on to the blazer I will bring it to ya on Sat.Its a 50 gal black drum used to hold soap it doesnt take long to get the soap out tho.I rinsed mine out twice real good and so far no bubbles yet :smile2:

I may need gas money to make it back home anyway lol.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

No idea how far I am either. I'm in Flatwoods,KY about 30 mins from the Greenup L&D. I'd say it'd be a little too far but Thank You!!!:big_smile:

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    What do you want for it? That would be great if I can come up with the cash. This gathering has me pretty much strapped for now. Hopefully I can come up with some $$$ by then.:confused2:

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'm wanting one to store behind my building where it stays shady. I'm also gonna insulate it too.
    I tried a google search in my area but the cheapest was $60 and up not including S&H. Thats way, way out of my price range.
    You may have better luck than me in finding one close to me if you don't mind. I'll Rep you for it...:wink::smile2:...Maybe even twice...:smile2:
    My zip code here and down the road is 41139 and 41102.
    Also, they were used and reconditioned. Thats just way too high!!!

Thanks for all the info!!!:wink::big_smile:

12. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V

If I can manage to get it up there you can have it.I already have 1 started for my bait tank and 1 split in 2 for a wormbed this one is just sitting here in the yard lol.For wahile my yard looked like one of those superfund sites.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I wouldn't feel right you giving it to me. I know how tight $ is for all of us. Don't get me wrong, I'd appreciate it but if I can get some cash I'd be glad to pay you for it.
    This is something I've wanted to do for a long time, I get tired of having to spend hours getting bait when I could just go out back and get all I need.
    If nothing else, how about 5 of those 14/0 circles and 10 of the Blood Red 8/0 hooks. We wouldn't have to trade for the demons if we do that, as I'll only have 5 left.
    They are really good hooks(the 8/0 blood red hooks), thats what I caught that lil Flattie on. If I can come up with something else I'll give it to you also.

Who knows, I played a buck on the Powerball tonight with my lucky numbers and if I win you talk about a HE!! of a long fishing and whatever else party were gonna have!!!

We'll schedule a Huge Gathering and it'll all be on me!!! Wish me Luck!!!:wink:

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Glad Jerry offered to help you out. I knew somebody would come through for you! Don't mind letting him help - that's what we do here. You'll do a favor for someone and they'll do for someone else and ...

$60 for a reconditioned drum is high! I got one for 20 a couple of years ago, which I thought was a little steep, but still way cheaper than one of the fancy molded livewells (which are like $120 and up!)

For the bait tank at the house, if you have well water or if your water is good, you ought to be able to get away with doing 50% water changes just with tap water every couple of days without hurting the biats at all.

15. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Yeah I cant beleive they get that much for em.If I go back to work at the rig I will defintely start bringing all of em home with me.We would burn at least 4 a week + crush all the steel drums for scrap.Usualy had 2-3 steel drums a week too.

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Got a white one sitting in the garage that had apple juice in it John. Wanna come and get it? LOL Barrels sure are high in your area. One guy around here sells them for $10 a piece. Also got a couple of black ones at the farm that have had only water in them. Wish you were closer.

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I wish I was closer too...:wink::smile2:

For that price I'd take 2 and have 2 tanks set up. Thats my ultimate goal is to have 2 up and running so that way I could have a large variety of different types of bait.
    Thanks for the offer anyway J.C.!!!:wink::big_smile:

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    From what I have read and heard, some of the State Game and Fish Departments (or whatever you want to call them) have been inspecting boats as they leave the ramp. They make you dump any water tjat may have on board....live wells, bait buckets, pump your sump, etc. in an effort to stop the spread of the zebra mussels. That would pretty much make bait tanks a thing of the past.

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks for the info Lawrence but this drum isn't gonna leave my backyard. Its just gonna be a nice set-up for a holding tank for all the bait I can get in it.
    I don't have a boat so I don't believe that'll pertain to me. I do have a boat but its several hours away with no way to get it...:confused2:

20. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey catfish john have you tryed getting in contact with some of the loacal stores that sells them drums there good to use my buddy had a 55 gallon one and had a nice airator in it and it does good about keeping your bait alive.