I'm heading your way! I want to catch fish!

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by RIVER-RAT, Sep 7, 2006.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey my fellow bros in the wonderful state of Iowa!:big_smile:

I am heading to Des Moines for 2 full weeks, I will be attending a class for work and will be open and unhindered for Sat. and Sun. the 23rd and 24th. I want to bring my boat with me and go catch some fish during my first weekend in Des Moines ever! Can my fellow bros help me out on this? Such as where to go to catch big cats? Bait? Boat ramps and so on...please help me out as I am looking forward to this trip now that I know I can do some fishing after spending time in class:lol:

Please let me know, any help will be greatly appreciated :big_smile: :big_smile:

2. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Bill,
    I think a good place to start would be the river by Adel, which is about 20 miles west of Des Moines.

It also depends on how big your boat is.

I know that Mike (cathunter28), lives there and does pretty well on that river. You might want to try and talk to him and see what he says.I have met him in person, at the gathering, and he is a great guy.

I am sure there are others from the Des Moines area, that may have better ideas. Hope this helps you some.

If you dont get any more info, let me know. I'll help you anyway I can.

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey Stan, thanks for the response!! I appreciate that greatly:big_smile:

I have a 20 ft SeaArk, so I'd prefer to get into a bigger body of water or larger river if you know what I mean.

My class is at Camp Dodge, I see on the map that there is a lake and what appears to be a dam and river flowing from there. However, I may be alittle slow, but, I can't find a map that shows the names of the water ways for some darn reason!!:crazy: If that is a good place to fish, I would love to go there. I just can't any info on it. I just want to get into some decent cat fishing.

Thanks for your help again.

4. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    The name of the Lake is Saylorville lake, this is decent cat water above the Dam and very good cat water below the Dam. the river goes downstream about 10 miles until you hit a low head dam. Lots of good snags and water depth. so your boat should not have any troubles. Above the dam in the main lake would be comparable to Truman Res, Though not the same size as truman. Flattie will bite on chubs and channels will bite on cut shad and nightcrawlers. If you need specific info on a spot let me know and I will send what I know to you.

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Greg THANK YOU!!!:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

That's EXACTLY what I wanted to hear!!

I all need now is where the boat ramp is and how to catch the chubs... what is the name of the river? Just curious.

THANK YOU SIR!!!!!

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Here's aweb site that may help you. there is also a link for maps to boat ramps.

www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/Saylorville/Boating.cfm

7. greg

State:
    GA/ Ia
    There are several ramps on the main lake, all are clearly marked. the cottonwood access is the ramp below the Dam. If you are going to have an Monday evening or tuesday evening while you are here I would be able to show you around the lake.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

www2.mvr.usace.army.mil

This link may help

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Greg, I sent you a PM... thanks again!

10. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thanks for the complements stan we have been getting alot of fish up until this weekend thay have just shut down i hope everyone is still catching

11. greg

State:
    GA/ Ia
    PM received I look forward to spreading my knowledge of the lake. I get off work Monday at about 2:30pm I will run some errands and will meet up with you where you want. See you then.