Im having a hard time locating any flathead catfish!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by PRITCHETTK, Apr 30, 2006.

1. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK New Member

State:
    SALINA, OKLAHOMA
    I live in Oklahoma on Lake Hudson, I can go out and catch a lot of blues, but I just seem to never be able to find a good flathead hole. There is a river channel that runs through the lake that is on average 35-45 foot deep. I have not been able to locate any log jams or much structure to fish at all. There is a bridge that the channel goes under that is around 50' deep. When fishing for flatheads I know they prefer live bait. Should a guy always fish on the bottom of the lake or have bait at several different levels? Anyone ever tried goldfish. We are getting a lot of rain right now and the lake has been down about 4-5 feet and now it is up about 1'. There are several creeks that flow into the main lake, anyone have any tips?

2. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    try by the creeks if you can go up in the creeks cut bait bluegill go out and get your line wet good luck

3. bigyella

bigyella New Member

State:
    Texas
    Get out of the lake! Go to the tributary. Fish water from 8 to 25 foot deep in structure. Find moving water, but not to fast. Fish close to the bank. A nice steep bank or drop off in with about 8-15 foot of water is what I am fishing this time of year.

4. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK New Member

State:
    SALINA, OKLAHOMA
    There is a creek that flows ino a part of this lake and you can go back in there a ways. But the creek comes from a underwater spring and the water is very very cold. Do you guys think the catfish will still stay in the cold water? It has a lot of logs and such up through it, and there is a lot of structure where the creek dumps into the lake.

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    If the water is very cold it mght not be a good place to fish this time of year.The headwaters of any lake is good for flatheads as long as the water isnt to cold.I would think that if theyres a good population of flatheads in the lake you would catch some every now and then while fishing for blues.Maybe just use more live bait and fish in the same places you catch the blues.In the resevoirs where I'm from they'll hole up together thats blues, channels, and flatheads.If you use live bait you may start catching bigger blues to.Hope this helps.