I'm going to make rattletraps!!

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Oct 26, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I WENT TO THE LOCAL TACKLE SHOP ( KILLING TIME ) AND BESIDES THANKING GOD I DONT SPEND MY$ ON THEIR PRICES FOR WEIGHTS AND DISAPOINTED THEY DONT SELL FISHING LINE THERE ANYMORE!:0a28:
    I ASKED THAT COLOR/LURE IS PRODUCTIVE FOR TROLING FOR STRIPER AND I WAS TOLD ANYTHING BIG AND WHITE WORKS EXELENT FOR STRIPER.....

LOOKING AT THE RATTLE TRAPS THEY WANT $ 7.85 FOR 1 OF EM :embarassed::0a19:

I SAME HOME AND HAD THE BRIGHT IDEA OF MAKING MY OWN BUT WITH A TWIST.........

THATS ALL IM GONA SAY FOR NOW BUT PEEK IN ONCE IN A WHILE AND ILL START POSTING MY PRODUCTION !!!!!!!!!

THANKS FOR LISTENING ALL!!!!!!!!!!

LeRoy,:cool2:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good luck and i hope they catch for ya.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    He's right on big and white. I used to throw white salt water jigs at them. 3-5 ounce. The stripers were about 25-35 pounds.

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

the one that i stenciled out already is 4 1/2 inches long and will be 1/2 in wide

what im making them out of is so freekn simple its sad

ill be using #2 trebles so it will be about even with the ones u get from the store :wink:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You may be on something there, that might work with cats also, especially during the colder weather. Mac posted a thread (in the BOC library now) about using a spinner in front of the hook to coax lethargic cats to bite during cold weather. That rattle trap concept might just be another angle for cold weather cats. Reps to you for yet another idea!
    Bill in SC

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Sounds like a potential library article in the making. Keep a photo record too and we'll get it put somewhere for everyone to use.

7. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    if you can make them BIGGER:smile2: also try white bucktails with a white fluke added or dead shad , lookup power reeling:wink: did you have any luck with live bait?

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Use tire weights and drill holes in them and join with key chains, paint white and ya have a jointed lure. :wink:

9. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Good luck with the Rattletraps, they are one of my favorites for catching everything. There is a great deal of satisfaction in catching fish on lures you make for your self.

10. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    if your targeting big fish make sure the hooks are wired through, a 30lb striper will destroy a lure.

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    im looking at other hard lures and im looking at some that are just a tube!!!!!!!!!

i can get some materal and basicaly make my own

CAN ANYONE FIND A LIST ( WITH PICTURES ) OF STRIPER LURES

IM GETTING EXCITED ABOUT STRIPER FISHING BECASUE I SAW A FISH CAUGHT IN THE LIKE 2 WEEKS AGO AT THE LOCAL SHOP I WAS AT AND IT HAD TO BE 20 LBS....:cool2:

12. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    a search of google should help, not to sure about tubes, can you cut them into flukes? check out redfins, pencil poppers and zara spooks for shallow cisco kids,d20 and d22 crankbaits for deeper, you can also use leadcore to get lures down like rooster tails(big and white), are you casting at them or trolling? if trolling look at u-rigs alot of people make their own and they can be very effective, catching more than 1 fish at a time:eek:oooh: make sure to check your states laws if you do use u-rigs, some states you can only use 1 hook:sad2: by the way striper weigh less than a cat of the same length, the one im my avatar is only 12lbs

13. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

MY BIGGER POLES ARE FOR TROLLING AND MY BASS COMBOS ARE GOING TO BE FOR THROWING OUT LIVE SHAD......

IM GOING TO LOOK AT HOW TO TROLL WITH LIVE BAIT ALONG WITH MAKING MY PLANNER BOARDS

IM GOING TO LOOK AT U RIGS TOO:confused2:

14. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    sounds like a good idea, keep us posted

15. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    planner boards arnt hard to make so you shouldnt have a problem theres several plans on the net. you should be able to use bass setups for freelines, thats what i do, its always fun reeling in a 8-10 striper on bass tackle:smile2:
    if you run u-rigs buy or make a retrevier trust me:wink:.trolling shad isnt to hard, you can use your downrods(carolina rig with 1.5 ounce egg weight above a swivel and leader) to check speed, you want 5-15 degrees of angle on the lines, less wont hurt more will kill the shad alot faster. make sure to give enough room between downrods baitfish like to hangout together so if the can reach each other youll end up with a mess. are they moving into the rivers or still in deep water? do you have hybrids? they can be a blast if you get on them, fight like a beast if you tied a 8lb striper to a 5lb hybrid id put my money on the hybrid.

16. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Leroy, I went out to Havasu [Sandpoint] area again to meet up with family. Knowing you are in Havasu area, As the shad are schooling and the stripers are in the chase in a month or so, try down near Parker Dam, go to outside of williams arm area. We used to chase the boils at sunset and go into the arm at night for catfish. I am with you, I dont mind buying them i hate losing them!

17. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

im going to start with my style pencil poppers out of tubing.......

i shouldnt have to use wire on the hooks if its metal......

ill find a way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile2::roll_eyes: