I'm going to learn to fly a plane....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by lawnman61, Sep 9, 2006.

1. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I've been checking in to learning how to fly a plane and I'm going to fly my first plane next month. I've been wanting to do this for many years and now I can hardly believe I'm going to do it.
    This is going to be fun.
    I've always wanted my pilots license and maybe I'll have some kind of career in aviation.

Are there any other pilots amoungst our members ??

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I passed ground school and have more then enough hours to solo.
    I lost the desire as a teen when I couldnt afford to go to the next level.
    I got all my experience as a cadet in the Civil Air Patrol at taxpayers expense:lol:
    Well my ground school could have come from my CAP days or from a highschool aerospace elective course I took.

I wouldnt mind flying again but its just not in my list of priorities right now.
    The affordability of it is far out of reach.
    Rent and fuel a plane expensive.
    to own, fuel, and keep up the annuals and insurance on a plane is for rich folks.

Bet I could climb in the seat of a Cessna 172 or 182 get her up and back down. Its like riding a bicycle, you never forget how. It might not be real pretty though.:smile2:

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Al, have you ever tried MS Flight Simulator? I read it is required study for Navy pilots.

Our kids got me one for Christmas couple years ago.. I spent many hours playing with it, it even took me several hours to pass the solo test. But was never able to pass the commercial instrument flight check. It really raised my interest in flying.....now if I was about 30 years younger. :lol:

I once took the test for USAF cadet training, passed the primary testing but flunked out later. :sad2:

Good luck!

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Never tried it, I still have a long way to go before I can solo any plane. I took this on really as a hobby but if things worked out right, I would do it for a career.

5. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    Not me.... I'm a coward! I won't even get on anything smaller than a 747!
    Lisa

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    awesome

i dont think flying a plane is too difficult

i have even considered gettin my pilots license

but it sure is FUN when ur up in the air!!

good Luck

Jeff

7. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Good Luck Brother, And Think That It Would Be A Blast To Learn To Fly.

8. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thought about it once. Could have gotten it with my GI Bill. But raising a family and after solo expenses made me give it up. So I settled for radio controled aircraft. Got pretty good at it too. Was ranked second in Glider Flying in NC for 2 years. Got a bunch of trophies to show around.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It would seem to me to be a lot safer to learn to land a plane before you learned to fly one.Best of luck and happiness.peewee-williams

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    congrats to you i have no desire to be off the ground in a vehicle but heres to ya . One of my buddies is into flying and i bought him a coffee cup that reads Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man.............Landing is the first but seriously good luck

11. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    My old mans a private pilot lisence instructor, he used to take me up all the time, and try to show me how to fly and what not, but I never took too much intrest to it. Still don't. I do enjoy flying over various bodies of water/ the Mo river but thats about it.

Best of luck to ya Al..

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    DW, good thing you didnt go for a pilots license.
    Pilots make lousy RC fliers for the most part and an RC instructors worst nightmare is to have a student tell him he has a pilot's license:big_smile:
    It stems from a pilot being used to feeling what the plane is doing like stalling for instance versus seeing a stall.
    I've grappled with this phenomenon myself with my little experience in both arenas.
    Oh well I can still fish.

13. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Al go for it brother!!! Flying is a lot of fun.I was paying for my own flight schooling when I was 16.One day I took my girl up and it spooked her when she saw I was flying the plane.I loved flying but it cost so much and I couldn't have her and the flying so I gave up flying in 1970.I ain't been up in a plane sence but I've still got the woman.

14. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    You got that right, Mark J.

15. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just so you don't want to be a terrorist when you grow up...:big_smile:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Dinner is ready when the smoke alarm goes off.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have soloed and got about 30 hours of flight before I decided it wasn't for me. But I am here to tell you that is the 2nd most beautiful thing I have seen in my life...all the fields, roads, woodlands and various colors spread out before you at 1000 feet. Simply beautiful. I know you old cogers are wondering what was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen... nope, wasn't a woman - for a change. It was scuba diving in the south china sea, pacific ocean and sea of Japan. There is one place which I dived at many times where those three bodies converged. But the coral, the kelp, the fishes - simply beautiful. If God patterns heaven after that experience, it will be grand.

17. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Good luck with that! I got a few hours myself, I have a few friends that are pilots and keep and maintain their own planes. I have also flown the R/C helicopters for years, A lot of real pilots also fly R/C

Get the MS flight simulator. It is great for IFR training!

18. minnies_moocher

minnies_moocher New Member

State:
    Coldspring, Texas
    Good luck brother. I just love to fly. I would also love to learn to fly a plane. But you know how it is. Keep us posted on how it goes.

19. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    No terrorist plans in my future Jeb.
    I like living and fishing and my family to much to commit suicide.
    I love flying, my Grandfather in Colorado had his own plane many years ago, it was a Piper Cub and he used to take me flying all the time when I was younger.

20. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Not much into R/C planes yet, I love to watch them.
    I know it's going to take a while to get my License but It's worth it.