I'm going squirrel hunting tonight

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by field989, Nov 4, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i decided to go out to our woods....

and here in a few minutes im gonna get headed out to maybe get me a few squirrels I HOPE... i got a hankerin for some squirrel!!!

wish me luck...

ill tell yall what happens when i get back lol

2. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Have a safe hunt.good luck Jeff.

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I went out this morning at 7:00am. Boy was it cold! ( 20 degrees). The woods I hunted had about 6" of leaves on the forest floor. I'm a still hunter, so it was difficult to sneak around without making much noise.
    Needless to say, the squirrels were everywhere. It was almost like they were mating. A lot of squirrels chasing each other. I got my limit of Five, by nine O'clock, had them all clean up and in the frig. by 9:30am. I must have saw at least 10 other squirrels besides the five I got. It was a Great morning to hunt.
    Sparky

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    lol well no luck yet again.... i seen 1 and poped 2 shots off... no luck :( one of these days i guess

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hay Jeff You Need to slip over to Sparkys house and Mooch a copple of squirrels from him,says he has 5 in the frig. LOL. Better luck next time. J.D.

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Not only do I have five in the frig; I have 30 in the freezer. After I get 40, I go after them with a 32cal. Muzzel Loader. I'm not very good with it, but it gives a different meaning to one shot ball placement.
    Jeff, you just keep going out, enjoy the woods and you'll start to score on those little bushy tails.
    After years of chasing those little buggers around the woods, being able to be out doors and get around is the most joy of all. Having a little game to come home with, is just a bonus.
    Sparky

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I've long thought we use hunting and fishing as an excuse to get out where we came from. Hey Jeff try this trick. Walk thru instead of stalk thru. Make noise. Then turn around and back track stalking. I know it sounds silly but I've used it for woods that get a little "traffic" shall we say, and it used to work for me. Almost always got a least two that way.

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Gary, I've been hunting squirrels for more than 40 years now! And needless to say I'm pretty good at it, but I have never heard or tried that approach to hunting them before. You can bet your best squirrel gun that I will next time I go out. No matter how old you get or good at something, you can always improve by listening to someone who has had success.
    Thanks for the infor Gary.
    Sparky